Trading, In-game market

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Roccandil said in Trading, In-game market:

I hate item decay, that is, durability loss over time (not use). 😞 That turns the game into a repetitive chore.

Item durability going down on use is a different matter, but even then, it's annoying.

What -really helps the economy is something like Albion's item-trashing system, where on PvP death a significant portion of gear is simply removed from the game. I really like that, for two reasons:

• The dying player has lost everything anyhow, and won't really care if some gear was trashed (would probably prefer it!);
    • The looting player gets some gear (plus the kill), and so still gets a reward (sometimes a very good reward).

That method "hides" an item sink in plain sight, and is not a frustrating, repetitive burden.

so a loss over 3 months is a chore but every death an item (or few) go poof isn't a chore? Now Eve Online has a system where random modals will be removed when a ship is destroyed but that I can understand better.

If you're shot in the chest 10 times which results in a death, your boots somehow just disappear.

@Roccandil will indeed play beastman, that's why he promotes "PvP only" item loss. 😉

I think, on the other hand, PvP should in fact extend the item duration. As you clash your blades with someone your sword becomes sharper, and more experienced.

Whoever doesn't PvP, or PvPs only little, his gear should decay faster. The more PvP you do your gear decays slower (but it can be stolen). It's balanced like that.

@Gothix I hope you are being sarcastic to the other posts against pvp because that statement makes little sense lol. Should I put a wink here lol.

I personally hate decay as well but without some kind of item loss crafters get hosed. I can't think of a solution that makes everyone happy.

@Farlander said in Trading, In-game market:

@Gothix I hope you are being sarcastic to the other posts against pvp because that statement makes little sense lol. Should I put a wink here lol.

I personally hate decay as well but without some kind of item loss crafters get hosed. I can't think of a solution that makes everyone happy.

cant please everyone. those that try will fail.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

There are several reasons from what has been stated previously, including resources that are spread to different areas. Expect people challenging some content to lose stuff as they die and cannot return quickly. Thus people aiming at tougher foes might have lost a bunch of various gear.

The knowledge system could also play a part in this, where the knowledge for each craft is such that having specific crafter focuses would be a boon to players. I doubt it would make a huge difference, but a little benefit there for those seeking that style of play would be interesting. Maybe not in the power of the result, but a resource reduction such as one less ore to make a sword might be good.

Simply put, so long as a combination of smart design and crafting being actually beneficial as a specific thing exist, you will be in demand. If it's too easy to do, you won't. If they put in a global trade system, you most certainly won't, and suddenly killing you to loot stock is actually by far more attractive to those who might otherwise want your services in their conquered area...

@ManosMer said in Trading, In-game market:

For the first one, I think that giving the ability for each player to be totally independent breaks the foundation of a market. If you withdraw the need to trade and make it optional for reasons of convenience you won't have a stable market and you remove a lot of its importance. So you will end up with a stripped-down version of a market and maybe with no market at all. But that's only my opinion.

Even it is in theory possible to be a master of all trades, that does not automatically mean it is possible or happening in practise. People have different interests what they want to do with their playtime and this can be easily set behind timewall so people simply does not have enough time to do everything. From this perspective I would not see reasons to restrict what people can do with their playtime.

@Xzoviac said in Trading, In-game market:

@Roccandil said in Trading, In-game market:

I hate item decay, that is, durability loss over time (not use). 😞 That turns the game into a repetitive chore.

Item durability going down on use is a different matter, but even then, it's annoying.

What -really helps the economy is something like Albion's item-trashing system, where on PvP death a significant portion of gear is simply removed from the game. I really like that, for two reasons:

• The dying player has lost everything anyhow, and won't really care if some gear was trashed (would probably prefer it!);
    • The looting player gets some gear (plus the kill), and so still gets a reward (sometimes a very good reward).

That method "hides" an item sink in plain sight, and is not a frustrating, repetitive burden.

thats fine till you consider pve only beastmen, they need a different system, and it does not make sense to have decay on one planet and not the others

What stops full loot + item trash happen in PvE too? I do not say every animal should execute players, but some more dangerous mobs and bosses could easily make this happen.

Item decay with time sounds extremely punishing and annoying. However, item decaying when in use sounds more reasonable, even then repairing should be considered as a tool to sink ingame currency and resources from the game.

if i were to put my 2 cents in, i think the item decay in the minecraft regrowth modpack would be the perfect system. An item has durability, and the more you repair it, gradually, the lower the effectiveness of the repair. So at first it is cheaper to repair an item, but you will eventually have to replace it.

losing items randomly from your inventory for no damn reason is complete bullshit and i hope it was a bug coz fck was it annoying. I understand it with food, but not 13 seconds after you cook 50 wolf steaks for them to vanish (before you even need to eat just 1!!) like in the alpha... have it go rotten or something, not disappear.

nothing like farming wolves for 3 hours for wolf teeth to make a necklace... reaching 8 teeth to vanish then 6 to vanish, then 3 to vanish, then 9 to vanish, then finally get the 10 and craft the necklace to have the necklace vanish within 2 seconds leaving u literally no time to put it on...

The type of item decay that was present in the alpha should not be in the full game... set durability should be the only answer. Have deminishing returns on repairs and BOOM!! everyone is happy. they get to craft their gear and actually use it while still having a need for materials to either repair or replace their gear.

After all, you can only patch up a pair of jeans so many times before you can't even call them jeans anymore... and they certainly won't vanish from your wardrobe unless your missus/partner throws them out on you while you are at work.

Your gear will get damaged regardless of if you do PvP or not. So there is no excuse for beastmen that dont PK... coz they will still attack monsters for resources.

I'd rather not have a time decay mechanism. I have played where games had that and even your logged off time counted. I'd rather have a use decay system as well. Crafting is my love in games and I even want that lol. Otherwise you spend too much time always trying to remake gear.

UO also had the durability system that lowered the max durability each repair so eventually it just broke and couldn't be repaired. I would also like the stats of the items to not change even though durability goes down. Otherwise you might as well call it junked long before it reaches 0 durability because the stats drop so much it's not useful.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured