Developer updates regarding game status?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

It's a few devs only and they are focusing on development right now, so the game can be ready for Alpha 1. 🙂

So from this perspective, a lack of "public updates" is understandable at the moment.
    At the point when Alpha 1 will be out, things will drastically change for sure though. NDA being lifted, and all.

@Gothix said in Developer updates regarding game status?:

It's a few devs only and they are focusing on development right now, so the game can be ready for Alpha 1. 🙂

That is not acceptable reason. When Alpha 1 is launch, what happens next? Then devs are too busy to maintain Alpha 1 and they need to start focus on Alpha 2. So with that logic devs can use that same reason everytime and they never have time for community and marketing.

So from this perspective, a lack of "public updates" is understandable at the moment.
    At the point when Alpha 1 will be out, things will drastically change for sure though. NDA being lifted, and all.

It will help, but marketing and content updates should not rely only on players. Those have not the same value what official videos and news have. Content creators are usually making stuff from their point of view and there is also negative feedback and reviews among those videos/articles.

So summarizing this.. We need more official content updates to follow, but DS needs this even more from marketing point of view.

It's a few devs only and they are focusing on development right now, so the game can be ready for Alpha 1.

Verying excite much, ooh!!! soon out coming alpha 1 is?

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Tuoni

I actually think it’s detrimental to release too much upfront. Sure, it’s important to cater to your current followers. However, when you start making more community content... there’s inherently more outreach. There’s a time and place for that imho. And I don’t think the pre-alpha is it unfortunately. The game is going to take 2+ years to make (and that’s on the current plan). The Kickstarter was merely a year ago (not even).

Although more videos would be great, it takes longer to develop content than it does document/video it. If they start putting out more content, eventually they’ll hit a drought of new stuff. It’s a bad example, but star citizen ran into that issue where 2016/2017 was the year of dead content. So did dual Universe a little bit.

So the issue becomes: do we release more videos now, and potentially run out of content to divulge later (thus causing stagnation in what people are used to) or, do you release it in pre-defined phases that corresponds to your development plan. Another issue with star citizen is they started making videos about promises when they ran out of content to talk about it. So now they have so much more to deliver than their already ambitious progress, because of the promises they’ve made.

Sure they can go back on their word without it being too much of a fuss, but they’re obviously going to try and accomplish their word.

Rambled a bit, but I think my points are somewhere in there

@Pluto said in Developer updates regarding game status?:

@Tuoni

I actually think it’s detrimental to release too much upfront. Sure, it’s important to cater to your current followers. However, when you start making more community content... there’s inherently more outreach. There’s a time and place for that imho. And I don’t think the pre-alpha is it unfortunately. The game is going to take 2+ years to make (and that’s on the current plan). The Kickstarter was merely a year ago (not even).

Too much upfront is not what I am asking. There is that middle road between too much and none. 😉 I understand that human resources might been one of the problems, but I see pre-alpha time also important, because during that time you keep the current community sticked with the product and same time you market your game for new players. More marketing, more players for alpha 1. Simple business.

I can see Fractured Youtube channel one of the problems. They started upload videos about 10 months ago. There is total of 9 videos and 2-3 came out inside one month. Good start.. BUT, the last video is over 7 month old already. What happened there? Its hard to keep people follow the channel that inactive or speaking of getting any new ones.

• Wiki Editor

@Tuoni what you expect to get shown?
    It is a Pre-Alpha and it is under NDA.
    Be happy the game will not be under NDA anymore even in Alpha 1.
    Many other games don't have this and you get rarely some hand picked Screenshots and Footages shown till open Betas.
    As usual in Alpha will be much testing about it's future features, and you can be very close to this progress once Alpha 1 is started.
    Till them you have to be patient as every other here aswell.

I also don't understand your

@Tuoni said in Developer updates regarding game status?:

That is not acceptable reason. When Alpha 1 is launch, what happens next? Then devs are too busy to maintain Alpha 1 and they need to start focus on Alpha 2. So with that logic devs can use that same reason everytime and they never have time for community and marketing.

I think thats the only valid reason, to work straight towards the next phase.

For sure, there is a need of some good marketing, but thats not our decision, thats the decision of DS, how they walk their path.

@Kralith said in Developer updates regarding game status?:

He's saying that excuse can be used every single time, so it's not a useful answer.

• Wiki Editor

@Pwnstar I saw which intention he has, but i don't see it as an excuse.
    Especially because this "excuse" just came out of the mouths (fingers) of the community not from the developer.
    DS "excuse" are some things that hitted while Pre Alpha still was running.
    Such things can happen. Such things happen all the time to many many develeoper.
    Usually you adjust your project plans in this case.
    Nothing else DS did.

There is nothing wrong with this kind of developement timeline.
    I bet not a single Developer in the world is able to set a 3 years timeline and hold it exactly intime the whole 3 years.

For the other thing he mentioned, the marketing&community part, i am quite on his side.

Somehow the old nerdy cliche about developer is true, they are shy if they need to talk with real people 😂

Somehow the old nerdy cliche about developer is true, they are shy if they need to talk with real people 😂

hmm i didnt had this feeling when seeing/meeting with Jacopo
    pretty normal/cool dude

i can understand the discussion here, but its still Pre-Alpha
    these discussions can be held if DS doesnt communicate about the progress with the community in Alpha
    till there this is unlucky

@Tuoni what you expect to get shown?
    It is a Pre-Alpha and it is under NDA.
    Be happy the game will not be under NDA anymore even in Alpha 1.
    Many other games don't have this and you get rarely some hand picked Screenshots and Footages shown till open Betas.
    As usual in Alpha will be much testing about it's future features, and you can be very close to this progress once Alpha 1 is started.
    Till them you have to be patient as every other here aswell.

So what games you are actually referring with "many other games" does not have this chance? Other MMORPGs what I played (e.g. Albion & AoC) or followed have been very active with marketing and communication straight from the beginning and even before Alpha 1. Games which arranges kickstarters for backers are also responsible to keep backers up to date with progression. There is lots of things (I really need to list out what all aspects of MMORPGs have?) to talk and share with community. Most parts those can be still plans, middle of development and does not need to be completed features or mechanichs.

Moreover, you can not talk behalf every other if you are talking behalf yourself or maybe behalf few people.

What NDA has to do with developers to be more active with official marketing and communication with people? Nothing.

So I dont need to be happy just because you say so and especially with claims which does not have much facts to support. Anyway, my posts were more like feedback straight for DS.

@Pwnstar said in Developer updates regarding game status?:

He's saying that excuse can be used every single time, so it's not a useful answer.

Exactly.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured