Voip

• Yesterday i was playing the new game from Amazon and on the spawn i met a guy who start to talk with me on Voip. After a bit of meeting we pass a really sweet night toghether. I think that without that possibility we would not have even gone beyond the classic "hello word"; because f you have to move or start to play you dont want to pass half the time writing with the keyboard.

So.. i dont know how is possibile to implement on Unity and how much cost\effective can be, but maybe can be a new stretch goal. I really want to image how could have been UO with a Voip channel, maybe really toxic and unmoderated but we can implement an option to turn it off globally or mute a single person ecc.
    Well i know that nowadays there is Discord for guilds ecc, but Voip can really add something to the casual meeting in a RPG experience, it allow to have a more fluid experience while playing toghether..
    Im suprised too that in Fallout76 there still isn't a Voip channel to speack with people in the world, that is a clear signal about how much that game was "ready" to be released..

Edit: I saw now with the holy search button that there was a discussion 6 months ago about Voip and other voice features but seems wasn't much well covered, here we can go a bit more in the pros\cons..(for me there are only pros expect the cost that can be maybe huge):

• Proximity VOIP is nice in theory.. Unfortunately it is more abused then anything else. I think about the many times it's been someone screaming or trying to annoy others with music or something.. In regards to a title like Fractured. Most people will be using third party VOIP for the advantage and control it provides. Anyone utilizing an in-game VOIP would be at a disadvantage compared to a third party user. That being said, it would be sort of a waste in resources to implement a VOIP service for Fractured.. Developer resources, server resources, bandwidth.. etc..

Discord was working on their Gamebridge API, but it seems they've removed most mention of it from their site. I was going to mentioned it, but it seems they've moved on from that project now.. Maybe for a reason.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'll just sum it up easily for you that for a new game with more on its hand to worry about, I don't think they should focus on voice chat. Yeah, as you mentioned another main reason is programs like discord exist and they're usually specialized for voice chat so it works smoother with less lag than one implemented in the game itself. One simple reason is when your game lags, your voice won't lag because it runs on a different program (unless your game lags your whole pc).

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

I prefer a tier-application : better I think, but it could be problematic when you encounter someone who doesn't the app.

For Unity, I didn't test it but there this add : https://dissonance.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Protocol WebRTC is also a good thing, you only need a browser and you could send a link to speak with someone (without creating account). Since Fractured project is to be multi-plateform, using this type of things will be better : a copy/past of the link in your game tchat one click and .... go.

• Wiki Editor

An ingame voice would make surely something easier.
    But i think to implement it in a good way, it will take much developement time to make it stable. Voip is ressource consuming and very latency sensible. Especially if you want to make it worlwide. They need to pay another service for it that can handle in worst case tousands of voicechats at the same time.
    I donβ€˜t think Dynamight is big enough to have the power to run it. They better should concentrate on the game itself and give a possible voice chat attention later, when it is going into a stable release.

Also we have things like Discord, TS or whatever. That should be enough possibilities to get in voice contact to each other.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

World of Tanks had voice chat when I played, and it was badly done, despite WoT being a massive moneymaker, and most of the game being well-polished. We wound up just using Discord/TS anyhow.

I figure it would be too expensive for Fractured to spend resources to do something dedicated apps already do well, and it's easy enough to chat in text and then invite to Discord/TS.

Granted, optional voice chat when near someone -could- be a lot of fun. πŸ™‚

VOIP is sorta annoying to be honest.

I don't mind if they implement it, as long as you can 100% turn it off and not have to hear it.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

agreed, in my opinion - I've seen way to many people use any form of communication to be a total jerk in game - having voice built into a game without some really stringent limits to avoid abuse just begs for some people having a straight-up awful time of it.

Yeah Proximity VOIP, good idea, who wouldn't want to have some little kid screaming his lungs out or some annoying troll playing Rick Astley really really loud.

I think group VOIP should be an option though. So you can talk with those who you group up with.
    But you can easily use Discord or TS3 or any other VOIP program for that too.

• Yea Discord, ts3, skype are all good and cool but they aren't meant for casual encounters in the world. In consequence we lose a bit of possibility for the "starts new friendships and meet new person" as mmorpg are born for be that channel in a total RPG experience.

An option to turn off and on the Voip globally is a must, i agree.

Anyway seems you guys had so many bad experience with voip, i mean if someone start to screen press voip off and gj.. Voip griefing might be a thing in PUBG but.. in fractured? is not a pug and play, if people act dumb they will be dumb for a very while as in a persistence world people tend to forget less a name\char..
    And.. im not sure we will see kids in this type of game, is not Fortnite.. this is an hard and niche genre.

• I wouldn't mind voip for parties or guilds but open world proximity voip seems like it would feel really strange in a game with a top down fixed perspective.

Some games have started integrating Discord voip instead of developing their own system and that could be a possibility for party and guild voip.

• Wiki Editor

@target said in Voip:

Some games have started integrating Discord voip instead

Yes i was thinking same, since Discord is growing and get always new features. And Discord want to be THE Gaming Chat/VoIP Platform, so why not using the possibilities that will give us this Platform?
    Since Discord now also implements a Gaming Shop System, it is maybe an option for Fractured later, instead aiming Steam in future, better aiming Discord. πŸ˜‰

• @kralith said in Voip:

@target said in Voip:

Some games have started integrating Discord voip instead

Yes i was thinking same, since Discord is growing and get always new features. And Discord want to be THE Gaming Chat/VoIP Platform, so why not using the possibilities that will give us this Platform?
    Since Discord now also implements a Gaming Shop System, it is maybe an option for Fractured later, instead aiming Steam in future, better aiming Discord. πŸ˜‰

Yea not a bad idea, they have an EA section for games too. We have to know how much of profit they want tought, Steam is 30%..

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured