How is the Development Team going to solve...

• Wiki Editor

Every game thats developed with actual engines will be „old“ at it’s release date.
    Because there is no chance to know what engines we get in 3, 5 or 10 years.

There is almost nothing a developement team can do „against“ it. I mean, if you are a developer, what you will do?
    Do you develope for 3 years and then you tell yourself „oh let‘s throw away my whole work of last 3years and roll over to the next engine.“?
    The time you need for that makes your running engine old again, till you are ready with this.

rolleyes

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@kralith said in How is the Development Team going to solve...:

I mean, if you are a developer, what you will do?

1. Drink a lots of coffee (and water).
    2. use time machine 😉

Jokes aside, the only ones who have a chance of releasing games relatively up to date with current standards are super large studios with hundreds of people that chose to release medium sized game using their full resources.

In this way game (not being a huge project, but a medium one) could get released in relatively quick time frame. Other than this, as people have said, it takes time to release a game properly.

This is why, as a developer, I would focus on game play and not on graphics, and I would try to use graphics that use cartoon-ish art style, and would try to develop a game in such way so it leaves room for various improvements down the line (to be able to easily change textures and objects down the line so graphics can be somewhat updated without messing with other parts of game code).

• Wiki Editor

Well true @Gothix, but just for this kind of fast throw on market games. Even big studios needs years to develope real good games and they will have same „problem“ with used engines. Except they develope their own engine beside the game and can update the Engine and game at same time.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I suspect troll or a kid. Who else would say that's an issue?

@evolgrinz said in How is the Development Team going to solve...:

Good graphics alone doesn't make a good game by itself. If there is crap gameplay, and little content to do, then the game is not going to be a success.
    I'd rather play a game that has great story, good gameplay and a lot to do while having less pretty graphics.

That's how I see it. 🙂

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

There's still popular games releasing now that only use DX9 with average graphics at best. Worrying about that is kinda silly. Although newer methods can sometimes net higher performance. Outside of that I don't rightly care.

All developers have the same problem.
    It easily takes 3-4 years to make a big game.
    But because all developers have the same issue, the games they make are not old on release just because there is a newer engine version.
    If you want to upgrade your game during development for the newest engine out there, you end up never releasing the game.
    So just choose an engine that is best suitable to what you want to do and roll with it.

I never heard someone say they refuse to play a good and fun game, because it was running on an old engine.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured