Just a(some) quick question(s).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah That's actually where basic contracts would be a good thing. Ideally with some system that allowed for identifying who exactly broke it, but just that it is broken is enough in ideal terms. Not so sure in realistic terms.

After all, either somebody is going to have a bunch of broken contracts for scamming, or it's going to be a one-off thing where something went wrong. Sadly, there will be people who game systems with reputation just like always (for example, very simple contract trading back and forth if it is an automated completion % system will give them a solid rating while they scam others).

AKA, there really does need to be something to cut a little deeper, because the moment people start showing failed/scam contracts the counter will be a flood of successful ones. Heck, the scammers will unite to do that.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I'd do that with a contractor NPC (or a bulletin board) in a town.

1. Player that wants to offer contract specifies over NPC (or a board) UI what he wants done (example: gather 200 sunflowers) and how much he is paying (lets say 50g).
    2. This is converted by game into quest that's acceptable by other players over board UI, and 50g is taken from contract giver.
    3. Any number of players can accept the quest, but only the first player that hands it in can collect reward (50g), at which point quest vanishes from the board offers, and from everyones quest logs (other people can keep sunflowers they collected thus far if quest vanishes and can use them for other purpose).
    4. Contract giver can check board from time to time to see if quest was delivered by anyone and when it was, he picks up sunflowers that waited for him at the board.
    5. If no one did the quest for a while, contract giver can chose to cancel quest from the board prematurely, and collect his cash (50g) back. At which point quest disappears like in example from an above.

• There could be a fee to post a contract (or not).
    • There could be a limit to how many contracts a player can post (or not).
    • There could be a fee to cancel a contract offer prematurely (or not).

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@gothix This seems like a decent execution of the idea. Much ~.~)b

@gothix
    that's about how it happens in Eve Online which the other thread I linked covers.

instead of a quest though the contract just stays within the UI. I wouldn't say a contract is to "gather" an amount of something but is just created as "200 of an item for a certain price". which really it's just a buy order that an AH or exchange would have.

@jetah said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

@gothix
    that's about how it happens in Eve Online which the other thread I linked covers.

instead of a quest though the contract just stays within the UI. I wouldn't say a contract is to "gather" an amount of something but is just created as "200 of an item for a certain price". which really it's just a buy order that an AH or exchange would have.

Yeah, a "quest method" would allow for more possibilities compared to what "buy offers" can do.
    Basically anything that quests can do: gather stuff, kill stuff, visit a place, solve a puzzle,... you name it.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

I'd do that with a contractor NPC (or a bulletin board) in a town.

1. Player that wants to offer contract specifies over NPC (or a board) UI what he wants done (example: gather 200 sunflowers) and how much he is paying (lets say 50g).
    2. This is converted by game into quest that's acceptable by other players over board UI, and 50g is taken from contract giver.
    3. Any number of players can accept the quest, but only the first player that hands it in can collect reward (50g), at which point quest vanishes from the board offers, and from everyones quest logs (other people can keep sunflowers they collected thus far if quest vanishes and can use them for other purpose).
    4. Contract giver can check board from time to time to see if quest was delivered by anyone and when it was, he picks up sunflowers that waited for him at the board.
    5. If no one did the quest for a while, contract giver can chose to cancel quest from the board prematurely, and collect his cash (50g) back. At which point quest disappears like in example from an above.

• There could be a fee to post a contract (or not).
    • There could be a limit to how many contracts a player can post (or not).
    • There could be a fee to cancel a contract offer prematurely (or not).

Wouldn't that be the same with some kind of shop NPC (or AH) where you go and make an order for said 200 sunflowers for 50g. Basically everyone that sees it can go collect the flowers and first person that brings them can sell them. You deposit that 50g when making an order and then can pick it up after it's done. What's more that way you can sell in parts - in this example 0.25g per sunflower - so people can sell you some and you'll get to that 200 faster.

@tulukaruk said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

Wouldn't that be the same with some kind of shop NPC (or AH) where you go and make an order for said 200 sunflowers for 50g. Basically everyone that sees it can go collect the flowers and first person that brings them can sell them. You deposit that 50g when making an order and then can pick it up after it's done. What's more that way you can sell in parts - in this example 0.25g per sunflower - so people can sell you some and you'll get to that 200 faster.

With quest NPC you could also post quests for a lot more things (not only buy sell), you could contract someone to kill specific targets, cut down woods in specific area so you can build a house there, go to specific areas and do something else there, make a mercenary protection contract, you could really contract someone for anything.

On AH you can only ask for material goods, and nothing more (you can't ask for actions).

@gothix said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

@tulukaruk said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

With quest NPC you could also post quests for a lot more things (not only buy sell), you could contract someone to kill specific targets, cut down woods in specific area so you can build a house there, go to specific areas and do something else there, make a mercenary protection contract, you could really contract someone for anything.

On AH you can only ask for material goods, and nothing more (you can't ask for actions).

I just hate the term quest for that part. To me Contracts sounds so much better and it separates "developer" quest and "player" quest.

@jetah I don't think there will be any developer quests? I mean, I could be wrong, and maybe NPCs will spontaneously ask players for things, but I've seen no sign of that. bit hard to have them, until there's enough of a village to have NPCs, after all.

@therippyone
    they'll have the quest chain to become an Angel or Demon (not the race).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@therippyone there will be divine quests for gods to gain their favor. They will also include angel / abomination quests that @Jetah mentioned.

@Jetah @tulukaruk Okay, true XD but I don't expect there to be more than 10-20 (and maybe a couple dailies?) of those, per god, and you can't really do more than one god. Fewer than Warcraft's starter regions, in essence XD So, yes, while those will exist, they aren't exactly substantial?

@therippyone
    quest are good tutorials. Games usually start you with limited abilities against slow enemies.
    they're also good for lore.

@jetah Sure, but whose going to hand them out? short of the 6 gods literally showing up and saying "Here's how to walk!" I don't currently see where we're getting the npcs to issue the quests. I mean, we could start out with just random text boxes offering to explain stuff, but it just feels weird?

As to limited abilities - we're all supposed to start with a combat ready selection of skills, in theory, since the dev's are assigning them by preset, last I heard. Given that, I sort of doubt that there'd be a "beginner's area" per say, unless it's on an instanced asteroid for that purpose.

Divine quests will likely be handed out in temples. Temples will already exist around the lands, even isolated, and there could be some monk NPCs living there.

@gothix That's a thought. Good thought. bravos Gothix

@therippyone said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

@jetah Sure, but whose going to hand them out? short of the 6 gods literally showing up and saying "Here's how to walk!" I don't currently see where we're getting the npcs to issue the quests. I mean, we could start out with just random text boxes offering to explain stuff, but it just feels weird?

As to limited abilities - we're all supposed to start with a combat ready selection of skills, in theory, since the dev's are assigning them by preset, last I heard. Given that, I sort of doubt that there'd be a "beginner's area" per say, unless it's on an instanced asteroid for that purpose.

If you are recognized by the gods then good for them stepping out to acknowledge you. I’d be perfectly OK for that to happen!

The spotlight covers this saying there are small starting areas that are free from PvP. Demons have Nest and I’m not sure what the others are.

@jetah said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

@therippyone said in Just a(some) quick question(s).:

If you are recognized by the gods then good for them stepping out to acknowledge you. I’d be perfectly OK for that to happen!

The spotlight covers this saying there are small starting areas that are free from PvP. Demons have Nest and I’m not sure what the others are.

Ah - I missed that - thanks for pointing it out!

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Like everyone said above, you give permission, check Albion if you want an example.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured