Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@gothix
    publishers are usually the financial holders of the developers. they allow a developer to make the game but the publisher wants their return on investment. some publishers only know one means to guarantee their return others put it in the hands of the developers. As much as I hate the Chinese publishers they seem to be hands off with their publishing.

@gothix said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

(...) Chronicles of Elyria is P2W game(...)

That's an interesting perception. I wonder how many of the people that pledged for CoE would have fallen for that wrong idea (yes, you could purchase legendary items to an extent, but they aren't better than normal common items and yes, you can legally ask for taxes, but you'd have to collect them and enforce it, just like you could in any other game). If CoE is pay to win, so would Fractured with governing towns, free carpenters, free VIP, free cart/mule,...?

@vicious said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

(...)Jeromie Walsh (...) Eddie Smith(...)

I'm well aware of the vita for Jeremy Walsh and his team. But non of that 'attracted any following' to the Kickstarter (such as would Richard Garriot), which was your argument.
    If you meant to express and argue that people think Dynamight Studios lacks in expertise, they might have had to highlight their previous work on Linkrealms? Would that have helped?

@vicious said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

(...)Elyria is just another mmo the market not want , not need , doomed to fail : is going to release get maybe even a million sell and then drop pop by 80-90% in first 6 months, becouse is not really new(...)

I think you might want to read up on the project again. It's not even the genre you mention (CoE is a MEOW, not a MMORPG). There's many cogs in that cogwheel working together. Take offline characters as an example, I doubt that you could name a single game with persistent programmable offline characters (there is Screeps, but that's a strategy/resource management game). And that is but a basic example, I could go on with that list.

That said, are we allowed to see your vita (and even better your Linkedin account) on game design, since you mention doing that professionally?

@Logain just lmao...

So someone doesn't pay and starts as peasant. He has to work hard for a months with his non paying guild, to form even a basic settlement, with common buildings, common walls, with little to no resources to maintain an actual army.

Meanwhile people that spent thousands of euros instantly get legendary buildings, legendary walls, even legendary gear, form an army and have a castles and siege worthy cities from the start.

Not to even mention that CoE is survival game so resources to maintain an army, and even survive on yourself are crucial.

Now these lords and kings with an army go and obliterate those poor peasants that have nothing.

It's wrong perception? How mad you have to be to even say such a thing... just lol. I don't even know what to say...

And this is the problem in all P2W discussions. You have to argue with people that don't see above example as pay to win... it's pointless.

@gothix said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

(...)You have to argue with people that don't see above example as pay to win... it's pointless.

I'd say we should refrain from arguing this point in this thread, since it would be off topic (the perception of pay to win or not on a successful Kickstarter is on topic, since it concerns the issue at hand, but the specific example would be off topic). If you want to continue the conversation, I'm more than happy to do so in a private chat.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Cuz I'm broke, fam.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I pledged with the Recruit package. There is a chance that I'll upgrade in the future but until more information is available and the game is further in development I don't really see the point. That said I'm more than willing to shell out 20 bucks to help someone see if they can make their dream a reality. I mean..that's like the price of a lunch.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I'm all but certain to support the Kickstarter but I'm on the fence about what level. Without knowing more about how the game economy works I'm apprehensive about my level of investment. I'd like to know more about the crafting system for weapons and armor. I've played games in the past that had a great economy early but because of ease of obtaining in game currency the market bottoms out. If I knew the investment would maintain its value I'd commit at the knight level. But at this time it's hard to commit beyond the 20 euro that gets you a copy of the game.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Right now the main reason I haven't pledged anything isn't something Fractured has control over - it's that Kickstarter doesn't accept Paypal. You have to put in your card directly.

My bank is currently giving me hassles with said card and it can't be used directly in transactions, so I can't pledge thru Kickstarter. 😞

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I have pledged Early bird - Founder, but I do not think I would be able to increase my pledge due to my current financial status.
    It's not your fault, it's mine. 😉

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I would pledge early Immortal, but I'm wondering about the time limit this game has for staying on other planets and how "grindy" it will be to gather enough resources to have a decent chance of survival in most environments. I understand that players aren't necessarily meant to settle on planets other than their own, but why not just have restrictions for building on other planets then?

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Hi! I'm considering pledging for early immortal (for alpha 1 and dev forum access). Right now my three major concerns are business oriented so I'll understand if you prefer not to answer.

1. The low Kickstarter goal - While it is logical to begin with a relatively low amount to increase the odds of the KS succeeding, €116K is at best 10% of what's needed for an ambitious project like this. I'm sure there's a plan on how to get the remaining funds but I'd presume that if it were solid there wouldn't be a need for a KS anyway. I am pretty sure that the game will reach alpha but there's a long way from that to release so I do hesitate a little bit to spend €300 if I'm not at least somehow confident that it will eventually go out of beta.

2. Maintenance - By its very nature an MMORPG needs to be maintained even after release and that also costs money - at the very least you need to pay to keep the servers up and running and eventually you also need to continue development (e.g. more areas, quests etc) so people continue playing. B2P is great for the players, after all everyone prefers to pay once, but that also means that there's no continuous stream of funds. The VIP membership is probably meant to cover that but I'm not sure that enough people will pay monthly for cosmetics, which may force a switch to other income models such as a paid subscription, expansion packs (i.e. only a subset of the world / quests is available to free players) or the dreaded P2W. It would help if we knew what is considered the least evil in this case. Basically I want to know that I'll be able to play the game for a long time.

3. The use of the third part Spatial OS - I'm trying to read a little bit about it on Improbable's website but I haven't been able to figure out whether developers can run their own servers or whether they're forced to use Improbable's cloud servers, or in other words - How will the game be affected if they run out of business.

@fibs said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

Right now the main reason I haven't pledged anything isn't something Fractured has control over - it's that Kickstarter doesn't accept Paypal. You have to put in your card directly.

My bank is currently giving me hassles with said card and it can't be used directly in transactions, so I can't pledge thru Kickstarter. 😞

Can you get a prepaid credit card just for this?

@nightcoder said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

Hi! I'm considering pledging for early immortal (for alpha 1 and dev forum access). Right now my three major concerns are business oriented so I'll understand if you prefer not to answer.

1. The low Kickstarter goal - While it is logical to begin with a relatively low amount to increase the odds of the KS succeeding, €116K is at best 10% of what's needed for an ambitious project like this. I'm sure there's a plan on how to get the remaining funds but I'd presume that if it were solid there wouldn't be a need for a KS anyway. I am pretty sure that the game will reach alpha but there's a long way from that to release so I do hesitate a little bit to spend €300 if I'm not at least somehow confident that it will eventually go out of beta.

2. Maintenance - By its very nature an MMORPG needs to be maintained even after release and that also costs money - at the very least you need to pay to keep the servers up and running and eventually you also need to continue development (e.g. more areas, quests etc) so people continue playing. B2P is great for the players, after all everyone prefers to pay once, but that also means that there's no continuous stream of funds. The VIP membership is probably meant to cover that but I'm not sure that enough people will pay monthly for cosmetics, which may force a switch to other income models such as a paid subscription, expansion packs (i.e. only a subset of the world / quests is available to free players) or the dreaded P2W. It would help if we knew what is considered the least evil in this case. Basically I want to know that I'll be able to play the game for a long time.

3. The use of the third part Spatial OS - I'm trying to read a little bit about it on Improbable's website but I haven't been able to figure out whether developers can run their own servers or whether they're forced to use Improbable's cloud servers, or in other words - How will the game be affected if they run out of business.

1. the game will offer a cosmetic cash shop that with VIP should sustain it.

2. DS can host their own or rent. Improbable offers both. I'm not saying Improbable will go out of business but they are leasing their software as a service with an option to self host if the company needs it. I doubt they'll just be gone.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@jetah I'd personally be more inclined to open my wallet if it's presented as a donation to keep servers up and devs working, with some cosmetics benefits as a thank you gesture. Basically it's the same thing but the presentation shifts the focus to what's important and the true reason for paying.

@nightcoder said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

@jetah I'd personally be more inclined to open my wallet if it's presented as a donation to keep servers up and devs working, with some cosmetics benefits as a thank you gesture. Basically it's the same thing but the presentation shifts the focus to what's important and the true reason for paying.

that's basically what VIP is for. they'll make more off the cosmetic shop than VIP though.

Path of Exile has no subscription and makes millions a year.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

According to the team, the Kickstarter is not necessary at all! They've already secured other sources of funding from publishers and other partners.

That said, the Kickstarter will still help the game finish earlier and implement quality of life (better graphics / SFX) sooner. It's essentially a Kickstarter not for the game as a whole, but to hire certain already-hand-selected talents for specific aspects of the game.

1. Maintenance - By its very nature an MMORPG needs to be maintained even after release and that also costs money - at the very least you need to pay to keep the servers up and running and eventually you also need to continue development (e.g. more areas, quests etc) so people continue playing. B2P is great for the players, after all everyone prefers to pay once, but that also means that there's no continuous stream of funds. The VIP membership is probably meant to cover that but I'm not sure that enough people will pay monthly for cosmetics, which may force a switch to other income models such as a paid subscription, expansion packs (i.e. only a subset of the world / quests is available to free players) or the dreaded P2W. It would help if we knew what is considered the least evil in this case. Basically I want to know that I'll be able to play the game for a long time.

"More content" is not the only solution to retain a player base. Before its horrific destruction, Star Wars Galaxies was massively popular simply because it was not a linear grind, but rather an immersive social world similar to Second Life. (It was destroyed solely and utterly by completely gutting this aspect of the game.)

Fractured is clearly aiming to replicate this True World feel, which will keep it a relevant game indefinitely so long as it can still technically run.

As said earlier, Path of Exile has neither an entry purchase nor a subscription and has been wildly successful.

1. The use of the third part Spatial OS - I'm trying to read a little bit about it on Improbable's website but I haven't been able to figure out whether developers can run their own servers or whether they're forced to use Improbable's cloud servers, or in other words - How will the game be affected if they run out of business.

They are Improbable servers and the game staff pay by bandwidth, by number of ingame entities per hour, etc.

"Running one's own server" would eliminate the entire advantage of SpatialOS, which is the use of non-static cloud computing to run arbitrarily large virtual worlds. This is essentially a more advanced version of Second Life's server architecture.

I might upgrade, but doing so would require me to give up a bit in my budget. If it is a matter of the game getting funded or not I got your back but right now I am pretty much where I am comfortable (already giving up in other areas). I still think there is a good amount of time to push the game on kickstarter... it is sliding down... and if it dips off the front page... well...

@mazikar said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

(...)it is sliding down... and if it dips off the front page... well...

Has being on the page really got people unfamiliar with the game before to pledge, or are all the pledges done by people who have been part of the community already? Because if there's no new blood coming from outside, being on the front page wouldn't really matter that much.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@logain said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

@mazikar said in Haven't pledged? Want to upgrade, but not sure yet? Tell us why!:

(...)it is sliding down... and if it dips off the front page... well...

Has being on the page really got people unfamiliar with the game before to pledge, or are all the pledges done by people who have been part of the community already? Because if there's no new blood coming from outside, being on the front page wouldn't really matter that much.

I highly doubt the success of a Kickstarter campaign has much to do with its front paging; I don't think most people have so much money to burn that they just sign on Kickstarter and donate to whatever is on the front page lol

Most viewers on a given Kickstarter campaign are specifically sent there after other vectors lead interested people to the game's own page or directly to Kickstarter

@Logain and @FibS so look.... I have backed over 50 games on kickstarter. I have gotten to know more than one developer in this manner. Being on the front page is pretty much everything if you are under 80%. That is being on the front page under the search for games - video games - popular. Why? Because if you aren't on the front page there is a good reason. How do you stay on the front page? Activity on your kickstarter. Not just from a developer doing updates it needs our clicks, people talking and leaving messages, likes, and shares on social media. Why do you think so many of them have stretch goals that involve sharing on social media? For one it gets the word out and second it keeps them on the front page. I am here to tell you a game on the second page that hasn't met its goal... will not.

We all need to do our part, visit the kickstarter a couple times a day, make a post on a update or the main chat, like and share updates. Do this and it will stay on the front page... keep at it and it will be the top spot.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured