How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@asspirin

a shield in the block position can still allow the person a good jog speed.
    the game is already setup so people can walk in front of attacks to intercept the damage so it's obvious that blocking can only happen in the direction the shield if facing. 2h blocks would be ok against melee but horrible against ranged.

@Xzoviac
    until a firewall or similar is placed under the group!

• @Jetah depends on type of shield; you canยดt sprint for long however, maybe like 5-10 sec before youre exhausted ๐Ÿ˜›

blocking only front - hope so ๐Ÿ™‚ but then let shield euser block most attacks

melee block sucks agains arrows - agreed

I would like to see abilities which needs a shield to use, like we have abilities for specific weapons. Abilities can be different kind of self and group protections, protective buffs and maybe have some semi-offensive options as well, like shield bash or shield charge for example.

Maybe with shield a player can switch to a defensive stance, which would increase the chance to parry, reduce damage taken, but also reduce moving speed and attack power at the same time. IF player collision will be implemented, this would actually bring more strategy to group fights, when players can actually build a working shield wall.. ๐Ÿค”

@Tuoni said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

IF player collision will be implemented

could have sworn it was going to be in. maybe not in cities/towns but definitely in the world.

I see shields more like overwatch with Reinhardt and Brigitte where you have to hold rmb to keep the shield up to block damage.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Dulu said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

I would like to see skill-based shields, that you have to manually block with, or at least can fully block attacks from a particular direction. I don't want to see shields become just another stat-stick.

@Gothix said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

Remember, this is click to move, press skills game.

Implementing skilled shield blocking seems not an easy thing do do in this type of game where there is no keyboard movement.

Click to move plus active blocking plus targeting stuff on ground with your spells, sounds like major pain in the ass annoying thing to do, and not like something I would play.

As the other pieces of equipment, shields will surely have passive properties and modifiers. Even if it is just an idea, we'd like to create a parry system with some action mechanics. An example could be that by holding on a hotkey and moving the mouse in a specific direction you can parry the damages received from that side. ๐Ÿ™‚

@Jetah said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

@Tuoni said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

IF player collision will be implemented

could have sworn it was going to be in. maybe not in cities/towns but definitely in the world.

I remember some discussions as well and I guess the collision will be at least tested out. However, I can already see the chaos of larger ZvZ fights. ๐Ÿ˜†

Oh well, one more reason play as a ranged damage dealer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @Znirf But you could not block aoe and dot attacks, right?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@asspirin said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

@Znirf But you could not block aoe and dot attacks, right?

No, Dot and AoE attacks can't be blocked with the shield. But again, we are speaking about something that we still need to implement and test.

I do believe most rpgs even have mechanics that do not allow shields to block aoe attacks. I do like to hear that shields will have passive mechanics as well as key locking. Key locking is so much easier than trying to hold down a key while moving with the mouse.

@Znirf said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

No, Dot and AoE attacks can't be blocked with the shield. But again, we are speaking about something that we still need to implement and test.

Still sounds really cool! Thanks for the info!

Speaking of blocking AoE, what about AoE attacks which will come from specific direction like a flaming breath for example? It would make sense to have a chance to block attacks like that, but is it anyway thought that you can not block any AoE attacks regardless how those will act?

Perhaps shields could reduce your agility as they are heavy to wear, and you are less agile with one.

Smaller shields - reduce agility less, but also less chance to block.
    Larger shields - reduce agility more, but also more chance to block.

• @Gothix Using shield also makes you easy to be feinted, as you have no view ๐Ÿ˜› But this wouldnยดt be doable in arpg...so just please give shields some way to counter them ... something like cooldown, so you cant throw dots on enemy and then just block till your spells are off cd or enemy is dead.

• @Tuoni An when weยดre at AOE attacks - will melee attacks with (for example) 2h blunt weapon attacking in "medium size cone" be considered AOE? It looks like melee aoe, but probably not, right ๐Ÿ™‚

@asspirin said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

@Tuoni An when weยดre at AOE attacks - will melee attacks with (for example) 2h blunt weapon attacking in "medium size cone" be considered AOE? It looks like melee aoe, but probably not, right ๐Ÿ™‚

Area of Effect generally means a specific area, which is hit by an attack or a spell. It can also be a melee cone if that creates an area on the ground. However, melee attack can also be a cleave which can hit multiple nearby targets without using a specific area to do that. So there is this a small difference to be concidered, althought it might be easier to draw the line to generally AoEs be something that can not be blocked.

@asspirin a shield wouldn't make it easier for you to be feinted. Generally shields are held in such a way so as to not limit the wielder's view. Or if for some reason it did, if you cant see a feint the feint cant work.

• @Gibbx Literarilly every time i attack roof with dane axe, enemy instinctively protects his head - if he only raised the shield so he could still see me, the weight of axe would move the shield anyway and he would get headshotted. Although you can actually block top attacks with your 1h sword - polish style - it reliably works only against another 1h sword, itยดs pretty bad against 1h axe due to center of gravity on the very top and totally unusable against beast such as daneaxe. And yes, feint works against them ๐Ÿ™‚ Exception is kite shield - much bigger shield protecting whole body - feint doesnt work there, because they dont raise their shields as much ๐Ÿ˜„

So youre partially right - all depends on shield: little (bucklers) dont obscure vision at all. But offer no protection against 2h weapons / shields. Normal shields are activelly blocking medium shields protectiong from everything. And big kite shields are so big you can actually concentrate on attack (but these were mostly shields for raiders to protect legs - but usable by infantry nonetheless).

@asspirin

you have to remember this isn't a first person medieval combat game. the isometric view will prevent many types of face-to-face combat tactics.

• @Jetah I know, was just answering to Mr. Gibbx.

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured