How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@jetah Yeah, having the tints locked behind a difficulty tier was a bit of a buzzkill when you found a set that you wanted. I get why they did it, but I don't have to like it lol

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

what if.. the transmog person was an illusionist that had your gear visual in a wardrobe? What if the illusionist was able to make the item completely change like.. uh magic..
    I don't think anywhere we said we want bikini bathing suits as transmog items. I don't think anywhere we said we wanted pink PJ's as a transmog items. I don't think anywhere we said we wanted .. well you get the point. Put the ideas of current fashion, Asian mmo fashion behind you and think of the possibilities of just Fractured. Every time I've posted on this thread, I've thought of medieval style gear, not thongs, not hot pants, not tutu's, not TF2 hats.

As I mentioned - I fully support illusionist to have a possibility to change the look of any item to any other item. It just isn't transmog - it has to be casted and have a duration, as any other spell. You can skip the duration part, but then it should be a channeled spell - consuming your mana as long as it is 'active'.
    In addition, a possibility to change the look by magic would be available only to illusionist, a transmog/wardrobe system usually is available to any and all characters in game, not depending on what kind of skills and combat/magic schools they use.

All I want to say is that illusion magic and transmog/wardrobe are two completely different things.

@darian said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

As for illusion magic, I think @Dybuk gave a pretty good answer.

Thanks 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@chrightt

WoW 5.2 patch notes (in 2013) say:

Transmogrification rules have been broadened for several weapon types.

• Two-handed axes, maces, and swords can be Transmogrified to each other.
    • One-handed axes, maces, and swords can be Transmogrified to each other.
    • Staves and polearms can be transmogrified to each other.

The OP statement said "allows you to make your weapon and armor look like any other weapon or armor that you've unlocked". The OP didn't state specifically via replacement of the item model or a wardrobe tab where you can place items in. Again I can see the terminology to mean the same thing even if the mechanics are different. If that's something you're focusing on then don't.

While looking up Rift's Wardrobe system, it works in similar fashion to WoW's Transmog. After some searching it seems Rift allows swords to be transmoged/wardrobed as axes.

Oh "wow" that overrated junk game (not in the past but certainly in the present). Honestly it is still alive simply because of old unforgotten fame. However, it seems like I am indeed mistaken since I have not touched WoW in a LONG time. The thing about wow is they still restrict transmogging to 1h on 1h and 2h on 2h. Within their own "transmogging" category, weapons honestly don't matter as much. But yeah, one more reason I find wow stupid appeared. I am sorry to say but having a separate wardrobe/fashion function is different from transmogging. Language matters A LOT (you'll know if you work on stuff like law). Even if words are similar they can mean different things. Since you're talking about wow (I'm also guessing the OP might've gotten the terminology from wow): Transmogrification is a feature released with Patch 4.3.0[1] that players can access via an ethereal Transmogrifier NPC. It allows players to alter the appearance of their weapons and armor for a fee (in gold).
    Altering the appearance is most certainly not having an extra fashion which you keep. If fractured will want to differentiate the effects/movesets/abilities of weapons like swords vs mace, then allowing transmogging across different weapon types will be a highly stupid move. Right now, the game still looks promising, otherwise most of use won't be here. However, if they try to cater to everyone, then this game will quickly turn into a conglomeration of all the systems without its own unique identity. On a side note, complexity without depth in game design does not make a good game. Why have 100 systems aimed at confusing players rather than 30 unique, in depth and well thought out systems. Yeah WoW, fell into the former a long time ago.

@chrightt I'd say WoW is alive because people enjoy the lore, characters and end game content. I don't believe I said 1h could be changed to look like a bow or a 2h and I'm not even sure where people assumed this. Transmog started by consuming the item to place it on the other item. It physically destroyed an item for its look. This was changed, eventually. Terminology from 1 game often is used in other games. One game calls their cosmetic system Transmog another calls it Wardrobe. Often the game you play that labels it you'll use that in other games. PoE doesn't seem to have a name for their cosmetic system.

Some people don't like swords, some don't like axes, maybe both prefer maces. Allowing those people to change their weapon to a mace would make them happy. So long as the stats don't change, which they wouldn't, it won't matter to an attacker. Again I'll point back to my statement about being in a bar or other public place and not knowing the abilities of a person. Some people have conceal and carry permits and do have a gun on them, many don't (I'm an American so it's possible here). Some may know boxing or kickboxing or MMA or another hand to hand combat/defense techniques.

@Dybuk Why couldn't an illusionist place the spell on the armor for someone else? Who knows how powerful the illusionist is (if it's an npc).

• @jetah said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

Some people don't like swords, some don't like axes, maybe both prefer maces. Allowing those people to change their weapon to a mace would make them happy. So long as the stats don't change, which they wouldn't, it won't matter to an attacker

The only problem I'd have with this is if swords/axes/maces had a large difference in combat. If for example maces are good against heavy armor while swords aren't, it would be a problem if you engaged in combat with someone thinking they have a sword but they're actually using a mace.

Some people have conceal and carry permits and do have a gun on them, many don't (I'm an American so it's possible here).

I don't think your concealed carry analogy really applies to transmog. A closer analogy would be a sheath mechanic where you can't tell what weapons a person is using until they draw them.

Again I'll point back to my statement about being in a bar or other public place and not knowing the abilities of a person. Some may know boxing or kickboxing or MMA or another hand to hand combat/defense techniques.

Depending on how free the skill system is, seeing someone's weapon also doesn't necessarily tell you what build someone has. Someone can be wielding a sword but actually be a bard type character. You don't really know what someone's build is until you see them fight. A transmog system doesn't really change that.

@target

I haven't seen an pvp game use that in a while, usually armor just reduces the damage taken. Remember that people wont know what you have as well, so it works both ways. While the conceal and carry is a little far fetched it does match. you don't know what weapon a person has while in a store. gun, knife, fist, brass knuckles or feet.

I'd rather a system that allows the developers to sell cosmetics than for them to pass up that income. I want different looking armor, weapons, spell effects, stances and animations. PoE has great cosmetics and it isn't p2w, though it's 99% pve. I'd much prefer a new leather visual than a leather chest armor with top end stats.

Many PvP games with cosmetics just allow same armor type transmog so of course that may happen here. I haven't seen too many cloak/hood overalls for characters.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I would be interested in an illusion skill or perhaps disguise. Some of the previous skills shown deal with mind manipulation, so why not extend that to making chars look different or even changing the publicly available information like the shown name?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I think that it should be similar to games like WoW, where you can change the looks, but it's locked to that type of armor or weapon. That way you know if somebody's a heavy armor user or uses a bow or something. Besides, that seems to be the direction the game is already going with the Foundation armors. It says they change based on what armor your wearing so I'd assume that mogs would act similarly.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

FYI, transmogrification should not be a focus of any game at launch. Or prior to launch. This would include wardrobe masking, etc. It's a nice-to-have and not a needful. They already stated it's a buy once to play, I haven't seen anything about pay for looks. That would be the only time it would make sense to think about developing a system where your look is modified before release.

@mramazing said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

FYI, transmogrification should not be a focus of any game at launch. Or prior to launch. This would include wardrobe masking, etc. It's a nice-to-have and not a needful. They already stated it's a buy once to play, I haven't seen anything about pay for looks. That would be the only time it would make sense to think about developing a system where your look is modified before release.

Foundation has rewards:
    LEVEL 15: WHISPERER ARMOR SKIN
    LEVEL 95: LEGATE ARMOR SKIN

They're already thinking about skins for the game. It's a lucrative income for developers and publishers.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Foundation has rewards:
    LEVEL 15: WHISPERER ARMOR SKIN
    LEVEL 95: LEGATE ARMOR SKIN

They're already thinking about skins for the game. It's a lucrative income for developers and publishers.

People love their cosmetics. Can't necessarily say that I blame them.

@rainstorm26 said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

People love their cosmetics. Can't necessarily say that I blame them.

people love to look good/unique and will pay lots for that.

• DymStudios - CEO

@fibs said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

complete unlimited "look like anything" systems are terrible because a Death Knight in 1000 pounds of metal can put on a cloth armor skin or just go around naked. This destroys any sort of immersion and grossly unbalances any form of PVP.

@evolgrinz said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

I like the idea, but there should be some limitations. Like heavy armor can only be changed to look like other heavy armor. And a two-handed sword can only look like other two-handed swords etc.

These two posts pretty much summarize our thoughts on the matter :slight_smile: Each kind of armor (e.g. Plate) has its own skins you can purchase. One could make it look dark and creepy, the other heavily ornamental. This includes changes to the model, not only texturing - but in the end, it will always be obvious it's a Plate armor. It will never look like a Robe 🙂

@chrightt said in How do you feel about transmog system for fractured?:

Personally, I think if they implemented this system it would suck real bad so that almost no one would use it. Why? Simply because in Fractured, once you die your gear can get taken away (like Runescape, Albion). what the heck is the point of transmogging? Basically turns into a crappily designed system on the dev's part. There are reasons why games where gear change hands quickly don't really implement this system. People just have to understand some game design.

That is why when you buy a Skin from the Store (or you obtain it otherwise in game), it's tied to your account, not to a specific piece, and you can activate it and de-activate it at will - so literally the same piece of armor could look one way on a person and different on another. It's like when you purchase a skin for a Hero's piece of equipment in a MOBA like Dota 2 :slight_smile:

Of course our premium skinning system - and the whole Store actually - will come later in the development cycle! 🙂

And that answers that..

Ok, so sounds like something similar to the Guild Wars 2 wardrobe function.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Prometheus
    Thank you for your answer.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured