Rotatable Camera?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kralith for now we lost the fight to add WASD movement 😉 so Fracture is just mouse movement.

Camera rotation can be good or bad. In Diablo we don't get to rotate camera and I can live with that 😉 On the other hand the visuals in skill demos looks like it would be no problem to rotate camera. I wonder what's the devs take on this.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@tulukaruk

depends if the objects are fully rendered. diablo 3 only renders 3 sides.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I forgot about this forum so I apologize for the long delay in responding to this post.

@deity said in Rotatable Camera?:

looking for the secret passages and other things you mentioned becomes the easiest thing you can do without locked camera. walking around and actually looking around helps you involve yourself deeply in playing the game rather than just flinging your camera around the map.

You seem to be talking about panning the camera around the entire game world like a MOBA, which I don't believe was ever brought up and wouldn't even be feasible in a game like Fractured let alone ideal; the suggestion was merely rotating the camera around the character.

It would be impossible to find secret passages on the far side of geography or objects on the far side of an object if the camera could not be rotated. I don't think I need to explain why, assuming the person I would be explaining this to is older than three...

A rotating camera would mean objects or easter eggs could be placed on these unseen sides and the player would actually have to look around from multiple angles to find them, which is a more immersive gameplay and completely in line with the exploration-based design of Fractured.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@fibs I guess I have misunderstood. I was thinking of the "battlerite" camera swing earlier mentioned.
    Even then again, I would argue not being able to rotate would be better, this might just be a preference thing but If there would be both rotatable and locked camera options in the game for the player's preference, it wouldn't be good to give the "secrets" to the player that prefers the rotatable one. If the game was full on rotatable, it would just make the combat wonky. If we don't include "secrets" we have been arguing on, having both options in the game is no problem at all.
    A secret passage for both players can be just made by obscuring the entrance and not putting it on the minimap just like Torchlight II does, it doesn't have to be a big thing to make it feel good.
    The first post not being clear enough threw me off I guess.

• Wiki Editor

@tulukaruk said in Rotatable Camera?:

@kralith for now we lost the fight to add WASD movement 😉 so Fracture is just mouse movement.

I know, and i'm totally fine for mousemoving, nothing to fight for in this case. 😉
    But fighting for camerarotation is it worth.
    I could even be fine with a just-rotation out of fight.

@deity

I posted a twitch link to how the camera could work, as it works in another game. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/230118435

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah Thanks, that really helps a lot, should also edit that into the first post in my opinion. From seeing how good looking of a game Wolcen is, comaring it to a game that doesn't have rotatable camera say like Diablo III, I personally would still enjoy a game with locked camera more, I guess it is all up to how the devs want the game to be.

@deity

didn't think about posting the link on the main post, updated that.

i believe the game is in pre-alpha right now with very limited outside of developer friends and family access so it's possible they're past the point where they could add it.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah Unity is quite friendly with camera rotation 😉 Adding it isn't all that hard.... of course till unforeseen stuff happens 😛

@tulukaruk

if DS didn't render the full item then we'd have issues. usually you render 3/4 of an object in isometric with a rotating camera you have to render the full item.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured