Water system

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I understand taxing but will there be plans on how you tax your ports? Can some imports be more than others depending on who it is from or will it be a set price over all? I ask because I want to know how detailed the port system will be in relation to how ports and trade work in real life. @Specter

• Community Manager

@TrueCrimsonFTW It's explained here:

You don't import goods through the port. It's for player travel only.

@Specter Really? Why not?

• Moving goods by sphip would remove all the danger that you face on the way (I think).

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

That and there currently isn't any naval coding of any type.

@FluffKugel Yes but you could could implement tariffs and taxes! we do it irl

• Community Manager

@TrueCrimsonFTW The only goods you can transport through docks are the items you're carrying in your inventory, and you'll be paying a tax for it as explained in the video.

@Specter Lame but okay, hoping to make a port kingdom.

• Content Creator

They explained from the beginning that the Ports are specifically not for moving goods around as it would defeat their economy model, but instead, are a compromise on quick travel so that someone could join in with a raid with their friends from across the continent relatively quickly, or come do a rescue party kind of thing.

The entire economic system of Fractured is based around physically having to transport goods from one place to another overland. This is to prevent several of the issues found in other games where this kind of player driven economy breaks down because of mass marketing.

@GamerSeuss but didnt they say you can set port prices?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@TrueCrimsonFTW said in Water system:

didnt they say you can set port p

For people portalling from your dock to another dock city. There are still no ships involved.

OH, sad.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@GamerSeuss said in Water system:

They explained from the beginning that the Ports are specifically not for moving goods around as it would defeat their economy model, but instead, are a compromise on quick travel so that someone could join in with a raid with their friends from across the continent relatively quickly, or come do a rescue party kind of thing.

The entire economic system of Fractured is based around physically having to transport goods from one place to another overland. This is to prevent several of the issues found in other games where this kind of player driven economy breaks down because of mass marketing.

More likely due to not having any naval mechanics. Fast travel doesn't really match the overall feel of other mechanics in this game. Building houses and cities by hand, by cart or wagon. Building them in stages, that take a significant amount of time, especially alone. Maybe it's just me, but if I were designing ports, specifically travel associated with them, they would include physical boats, boarding them and either piloting your own down the coastline, to other continents, or boarding a city transport that sails on rails, so to speak, to another open port.

That would make the most sense. But they aren't there yet. I think fast travel actually hurts their overall idea of wanting players to travel to areas and stay there, quest, craft, etc. Rather than poof, Oh look! I'm on the other side of the map! It feels much more like something added as value to a harbor city temporarily, than the overall finished plan from the beginning. I believe that transporting goods from port to port manually, by the player or an automated city transport vessel would fall perfectly in line with the rest of the game mechanics.

"The entire economic system of Fractured is based around physically having to transport goods from one place to another overland. This is to prevent several of the issues found in other games where this kind of player driven economy breaks down because of mass marketing."

I don't quite understand where you're coming from with the mass marketing comment. What do you mean?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@d3Sync said in Water system:

I don't quite understand where you're coming from with the mass marketing comment. What do you mean?

A typical MMO "economy" is a barely-functional parody of an economy for several reasons.

The specific reason that person is talking about is when an MMO has a single central Player Market or Auction Hall that all items go through, which transport instantly from any player to any other player in the world.

This effectively obliterates the concept of scarcity - most importantly, regional scarcity, e.g. a mountain town ought to be rich in stone and metals but poor in crops. The universal market becomes one single over-saturated blob.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I see, you were just commenting on an auction house system where items change hands instantly. I agree with that to a point.

I just wanted more economy systems 😞

• Content Creator

I just wanted more economy systems 😞

Yes, but they made it clear from the very beginning of proposing ports that they would NOT be another Economic option. It is nice that they let Governors of the hosting city profit on taxes from the fast travel, but that's pretty much it. Ports are a quick way to get from one side of a continent to another to go help your guild or join in a raid, but they are not a way to bypass having to actively move goods around the continent or whatnot. Between continents, they may let goods be transported, but they would of course incur a heavy tax as well.

@GamerSeuss could you expand on this? I am very interested in your idea right now. I am not being sarcastic. Let's actually talk.

• Content Creator

@GamerSeuss could you expand on this? I am very interested in your idea right now. I am not being sarcastic. Let's actually talk.

If you mean expand on the idea of goods being transported between continents, well, obviously you couldn't use overland methods to move such goods, but there is bound to be some goods native to one continent, that become needed in other trade markets, so if someone is enterprising enough, they would want to export to other continents, not to mention between worlds, and this would require a different paradigm when it comes to ports/fast travel. Going from one continent to another with tradegoods should be possible, but really just from specific port to specific port on each continent, and the same is true between planets, going from specific nexus point to specific nexus point, and these means of 'fast travel' of goods and services should incur a separate tax from just your standard gear on specially designed 'cargo ships'

This keeps with the immersion of the game and the player driven economy model, but allows the ports to mean something more when it comes to going between continents.

@GamerSeuss What is your view on different tax for different guilds? I think that would definitely add to the politics.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured