Arborian or Arborean?

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Gothix haha it's a place holder till we can get our illustrator on something

• Just a notice: demons will still call Arboreans "furries" 😛

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Meiki said in Arborian or Arborean?:

The beastfolk might even prefer to call themselves Nelenians (Children of Nelena) as she is their Mother and "creator".
    Angels and Demons could go for the Babileans even (as Babilis herself probably also used to be an Angel so the common lore goal for Angels might be to redeem their Mother and their kin, so they would probably not part themselves of their kin in such a way that Abominations will.)

I like it! 🙂 The name "Beastmen" sounds human-centric, something humans would call them, not something they would call themselves.

Specifically, it uses "Beast" to modify "Man" (implying a Beastman is a kind of human, or simply oriented to the human perspective), and I can't see the Beastmen seeing themselves that way.

(The name Beastmen also differentiates between normal beasts and sentient beings that look like beasts, again, a human-centric perspective.)

The Beastmen could just as easily call humans "hairless bipeds". 🙂

The hairless Bipeds and the hot, hairless bipeds (demon folk)

@Roccandil said in Arborian or Arborean?:

It's a comment on the current state of affairs IRL to see that, before the game has even started, people are using their creative juices to come up with ethnic slurs.
    65c4e2f7-3714-46a8-bda5-382168650a75-image.png f2c7b337-ec76-463f-be83-eb2140951ca1-image.png

humans = pinkskins

thats already common name extraterestrials have for em, doh

@PeachMcD said in Arborian or Arborean?:

@Roccandil said in Arborian or Arborean?:

It's a comment on the current state of affairs IRL to see that, before the game has even started, people are using their creative juices to come up with ethnic slurs.
    65c4e2f7-3714-46a8-bda5-382168650a75-image.png f2c7b337-ec76-463f-be83-eb2140951ca1-image.png

"Hairless bipeds" is (as I recall) a quote from Screwtape Letters, so it's actually a demon's-eye view of humans.

• @Roccandil said in Arborian or Arborean?:

"Hairless bipeds" is (as I recall) a quote from Screwtape Letters, so it's actually a demon's-eye view of humans.

Could also be a reference to Plato's definition of human as a "featherless biped". It became famous because Diogenes plucked a chicken to prove that the definition is stupid, since that would be a featherless biped as well. Only in this case he used "hairless" instead of "featherless" because furry don't have feathers.

Anyway, my bet is that humans will be simply called humans, demons will be called demons and those from arboreus will be called furries. In general, whoever has negative karma, regardless of race, will be called "red".

@Razvan said in Arborian or Arborean?:

Could also be a reference to Plato's definition of human as a "featherless biped". It became famous because Diogenes plucked a chicken to prove that the definition is stupid, since that would be a featherless biped as well. Only in this case he used "hairless" instead of "featherless" because furry don't have feathers.

I could easily see a sentient furry quadruped referring to humans as hairless and biped, because in those two characteristics, humans are different.

A sentient chicken, though, would still be biped, so it wouldn't see that as a difference between itself and humans. I suspect it would focus on something else (possibly our mammalian characteristics).

At any rate, examining a world from the perspective of each character is an interesting puzzle, and tends to lend authenticity to the world. 🙂

From a demonic perspective, both chickens and humans are tasty, hairless, and bipedal... so it might be anthropocentric to consider us to be so very different from one another 😉

bcab0b6a-4c4d-4898-9cd5-1ae13474e72b-image.png

@PeachMcD said in Arborian or Arborean?:

From a demonic perspective, both chickens and humans are tasty, hairless, and bipedal... so it might be anthropocentric to consider us to be so very different from one another 😉

bcab0b6a-4c4d-4898-9cd5-1ae13474e72b-image.png

Wait, how do you know we're tasty? 🙂

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

or just Arboran

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured