New World by Amazon - Anyone interested?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Oh well, at least there is a chance to test the game free:

"As a thank you to our community, we will be providing a special opportunity for our Beta sign-up and pre-order customers (plus our Alpha testers, thank you!) to play the full game of New World - in its current state, for a limited period of time starting on August 25th."

A special note to everyone who might not have noticed yet, it looks like game will not work on windows 7 (win10 is listed as minimum), which may be a huge deal for many players. So pay attention. πŸ™‚

@Tuoni said in New World by Amazon - Anyone interested?:

@Psymantis Can you return the product and get your funds back because of this huge delay?

AFAIK you can get a refund any time before release with a pre-purchased game, however Steam had an offer that gave Β£5 off a Β£30+ game. Refunding during the sale would get the offer back but refunding now wouldn't. I don't want to buy it again later for more money.

I'll keep the pre-purchase at least until the trial week and see from there.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Everyone needs a good Toilet paper. Should us it for that. I mean they keep pushing it back because it doesn't have any real focus or content. Sad

Ewww, new launch date of Spring 2021...if I had already paid for that, I'd be pissed.

I personally had a chance to test out the current situation of New World. I did not play it all way to the end game, but I kind of liked what I experienced. However, the game is not ready, not even close, but if developers can manage to develope the game further and fix the core issues, New World can be a good game. Potential is there but only time will tell what we will get at the end. Asmongold made a good review video of the game and I will link it here below if someone is interested of his thoughts.

I was in the test, but I couldn't play it, since it's not supported on Win 8.1 😞 I'm not going to upgrade my system (and potentially my hardware) just for New World, so we'll see if they make it any more backward compatible in future test.

If not, I'll be waiting a while. 😞 I did notice that the game didn't seem to have a lot of new concepts, just old ones bolted together.

This was one of my suggestions for a next-gen open world MMO, and I think it largely applies to Fractured too:

Been thinking about this more, and here’s a more in-depth example of what a next-gen MMO could do:

Dynamic Wildlife Biomes

In my experience, MMOs usually have static mob spawners that do little more than replace mobs at static intervals.

Instead, what if wildlife were dynamic, changing in the world and changing the world? Here’s one possible implementation:

• Boar mobs are configured to seek out forest biomes
    • A core boar spawner is placed in a forest biome, adding X boars over Y interval
    • If the active boar population in the area reaches Z, then level up the spawner

The leveled spawner can now do several new things:

• Send squads of boars to investigate nearby territory for expansion
    • Spawn higher-level boars, tougher, of course, and with better possible ingredients if killed
    • Spawn a Boar dungeon in the heart of the forest, with (naturally) a nasty boar boss. If players complete this dungeon too many times, the spawner is considered subdued, and loses a level, ultimately reverting back to core and despawning the dungeon

The boars will thus seek to expand their territory within specific biomes (and not human-recognized territories, of course), going to war with the current wildlife in those biomes if needed. If successful, the boars will place an auxiliary boar spawner in the conquered biome, that works in all ways like the core spawner, except it can be destroyed.

At the same time, any predator that considers boars to be prey will find the increased population of boars a tasty, tasty treat! They may attempt to move in to the forest biome, and thus place an auxiliary spawner of their own kind within the boar biome (since the boars themselves are a biome to the predator).

Note how this makes β€œkill X mob” missions more interesting. A faction may not want boars to increase in its area, and thus will post meaningful β€œkill X mob” quests to control the boar population.

Or, a faction may want to prevent an enemy faction from reaping the benefits of higher-level boar ingredients, and thus post PvP boar-poaching missions, or PvP missions to complete a boar dungeon in enemy territory. πŸ™‚

Note also how this makes world dungeons more interesting. Their appearance is dependent on more subtle world conditions, defeating them can have subtle world effects, and leaving them alone can also have subtle world effects.

Finally, the Corruption mechanic could tie right into this dynamic wildlife, by (what else) corrupting it. πŸ™‚ Corruption could send its tendrils into that boar dungeon, and it might start spawning corrupted boars in the area: tougher and more aggressive, desiring to spread Corruption as far as possible.

Furthermore, a corrupted dungeon within X distance of a faction town could have innate negative effects on the town, thus spawning more meaningful faction missions.

Again, I think the above framework transcends PvE or PvP, and provides a means to make both more meaningful.

• Content Creator

@Roccandil complex enough to be tough to code effectively, but very real, and the RPers out there would love something like this.

This brings the MMORPG closer to the true RPG of its roots, where what the PCs do in game can really matter, as well as what they don't do.

@Roccandil

Wow, a very boar-ish and boar-ing message. Almost boared me. πŸ™‚

Ok...ok.. enough of the boar puns.. πŸ˜›

I've always wanted to code a mmo where there are no static spawn points and mobs (and npcs in general) actually breed themselves πŸ™‚ Of course, with this approach players would do a realm genocide and make it so no mobs could breed 😞 Which means I would have to create "gates" at random places for invasion of the "mobs" πŸ™‚

@Ostaff said in New World by Amazon - Anyone interested?:

Of course, with this approach players would do a realm genocide and make it so no mobs could breed

Yeah, that's I would always have one "core" spawner that couldn't be destroyed, so the potential for boars to repopulate would always exist (call me a Coreboar! πŸ˜› ).

@Roccandil Before going for your suggestion perhaps the developers should start with adding different kind of mobs. Fighting the same mobs (there is just few different kind) from lvl 1 to 50 starts to get boring really fast. πŸ˜‰

Before going for your suggestion perhaps the developers should start with adding different kind of mobs. Fighting the same mobs (there is just few different kind) from lvl 1 to 50 starts to get boring really fast.

That's just scaling up the same old static, mob-spawning system that's in most MMOs. If the developers were going to implement a next-gen mob system, it might be better to do that earlier to test it.

I don't think they will, though, either way. 😞 New World does look fun, but only the graphics seemed next-gen; everything else felt like traditional mechanics, just arranged a bit differently.

Given the amount of resources I'd assume are available to the New World developers (especially the existing Amazon server infrastructure), that's disappointing. 😞

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Been watching on twitch.tv looks very interesting and I love the graphics so far.

• Content Creator

@Tuoni This being an Alpha Test of Fractured, it only stands to reason fewer types of mobs would be implemented purely for testing purposes. It actually makes more sense, in both the short, and the long run, to implement a new dynamic mob system to be tested while there are fewer mobs out there to clutter up the results.

As the testing progresses, and results come in, new mobs can gradually be added in, but entire games can be focused around a very few mob types and still be done well, all depending on the themes involved.

That being said, when asked, one of the two additional things I wanted to see in the next alpha test myself was the new Troll mobs, because I want more mob variety myself.

@GamerSeuss We are talking about New World not Fractured. πŸ˜‰

@Roccandil said in New World by Amazon - Anyone interested?:

Before going for your suggestion perhaps the developers should start with adding different kind of mobs. Fighting the same mobs (there is just few different kind) from lvl 1 to 50 starts to get boring really fast.

That's just scaling up the same old static, mob-spawning system that's in most MMOs. If the developers were going to implement a next-gen mob system, it might be better to do that earlier to test it.

I don't think they will, though, either way. 😞 New World does look fun, but only the graphics seemed next-gen; everything else felt like traditional mechanics, just arranged a bit differently.

Given the amount of resources I'd assume are available to the New World developers (especially the existing Amazon server infrastructure), that's disappointing. 😞

Yeah I agree, in most MMOs the mobs and animals are really static, either just standing or moving inside a really small area. Games could start with adding more roaming mobs which would move unpredictable way inside a larger zone, sometimes standing, sometimes walking, sometimes runing for example.

If I remember right, Ashes of Creation goals to have some kind of new generation environment system where player actions will effect to the mobs and animals as well. Meaning, that if players kills a lot of certain type of animals, those will spawn less in future and perhaps some other animals are spawning more. I guess if players kills a lot of wolves from a certain area this might lead to overpopulation of deers because there is not enough predators to keep that in balance. I would like to see more this kind of systems in games in future even I understand that these are not that easy to implement.

• Content Creator

@Tuoni Actually, it being the Fractured Forums, it's more like we're talking about New World, in comparison and contrast to Fractured, which means among other things, any generalized advice on MMO design tips would be advice wanted in both games, overall.

New World is also in Beta right now, not alpha, true, but still stuck in beta, so my comment still applies. In Beta-testing, quite often you don't see the full spectrum of mobs the final release will feature, shoot, at final release, you don't, as many 'new' mobs are planned for expansions before the game ever reaches release status. Most games have their first 2-3 expansions at least mapped out in advance.

My reasoning, regardless, still holds true. It would be better to see the new mechanic tested of dynamic organic mobs than just getting introduced to yet another mob in game. It always depends on what your testing, overall...even if said dynamic mobs are not planned for immediate implementation, but rather held back for an expansion.

@GamerSeuss This thread is from Off Topic section of Forums and its about who is interested to play New World and try out the Beta test phase. My comments were only about New World's beta test and how it lacked different kind of mobs and animals. I guess you missed that but it is okay.

We need to keep in mind that Amazon was going to release this version, before they realized that the game is actually unfinished. Therefore, they were going to go live having only a few different kind of mobs and animals. They have basically used the exactly same mob model regardless what is the level of the enemy, therefore, if we think of Amazon Studio's situation it is not acceptable to use the test phase card to make excuses.

Moreover, even if we would discuss this about in general, these kind of things should be already in place in beta test phase tbh. However, nowadays it seams that every gaming company has own kind of impression what beta test phase actually means. Beta phase should be about testing the "finished" product, fixing bugs and making some tuning. Only major issues and problems can lead to design something totally new. I guess some gaming companies wants to rush to beta test phase, because pressure from investors behalf or that the situation would look much better what it actually is.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured