Travelling is "complicated" to be mild

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@PedroBillyMattos said in Travelling is "complicated" to be mild:

Why Cyberpunk 2077's SMALLER MAP Is Actually A Good thing

You can't really compare the two games though; how many people are fighting for the same resources in Cyberpunk 2077 vs Fractured? One person in cyberpunk vs many many many people in Fractured.

There are pros and cons of having fast travel between major towns; I'm on the fence with it though. Fast travel will reduce the value of trades - if it guaranteed takes upwards of eight hours to travel to, farm, and travel back to sell your wares it'll sell for a lot more than if it only took one hour. Achieving certain knowledge grinds will feel more rewarding from the effort; though if it's -too- long then it can feel like the chore is finished.

I feel Fractured is really more about the journey than the destination because...well, there really isn't a destination in a horizontal progression game. So treat it like a nomad? Stock on on required mats (which there really isn't as food/branches/stones are plentiful) and head out, making camps and knowledge grinds as needed.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

To obtain skills in the future the following tasks will be required:

-Find, interact with, or kill specific creatures.
    -Kill some specific creatures in a unique way.
    -Find, collect or refine some amount of a specific resource.
    -Consume X units of a specific item.
    -Be hit X times by a specific spell.
    -Perform a specific combat action X times.
    -Explore one or more world locations.
    -Rest in a specific location.
    -Craft X units of a specific item.
    -Die in a specific way.
    (https://fracturedmmo.com/feature-spotlight-3-knowledge-system/)

Not only will it be necessary to kill beasts, there are also many tasks that require traveling, exploring and searching the map and even traveling to other planets and shortening travel times because they get bored takes the magic out of all this, I want the 3 planets of fractured are immense and that the adventure does not end in an instant.
    Perhaps it is a good idea to suggest that the planet of Demons (PvP) has a greater speed of movement and a small size so that they hit themselves at pleasure; the planet of Humans (Mixed) has everything in the middle range and the planet of beastmen (PvE) has a giant planet with a slightly slower travel speed to better enjoy the adventure.

Excuse my English since I use the google translator.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Frankly I believe there should be some kind system to bridge the gap between a very large map and shorter travel times.

Maybe develop a transportation system designed to get you from point A to point B at a considerably faster pace while still allowing you to appreciate the size of the map. Say you start in City A, close to the Northguard Mountains and want to get to the starter town to link up with your friend who just made their first character. By my estimate, this is probably at least a 30 minute trip without any stops or PVE encounters. Instead of getting carpal tunnel from running there yourself you could pay a small amount of in-game money to get in, let's say, a carriage that will automatically take you to the starter town in a third of the time. This still allows for an immersive experience while still cutting down on travel times (because not everyone has 3 hours to spare irl just to travel across the map to meet up with a friend, nor should that be expected).

This wouldn't negate the use of mounts either, as this system would only let you travel to major points of civilization on the map. You wouldn't be able to, say, tell the carriage to let you off at some point in the woods near a dungeon you want to raid 🙂

Feedback, anyone?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Recoil I like it. It could be an option for Governors to build in the player towns -huge resource cost, and then charge players to use it with a portion going to the town and the rest as a currency sink.

I don't know how many spots there will be for player towns, but if placed strategically it could lower travel times without unlimited fast travel. Kind of like the towers in Legends of Aria - one near each major city but still a distance away from everything else.

I placed my house about 10 minutes(?) away from the starter town, and once I started going out it seemed anywhere I headed was a 20 minute run. Which is alright when starting out, as you find different resources that increase your knowledge, but once you have that all done - it's a grind just getting anywhere.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Corben said in Travelling is "complicated" to be mild:

@Recoil I like it. It could be an option for Governors to build in the player towns -huge resource cost, and then charge players to use it with a portion going to the town and the rest as a currency sink.

I actually really like this thought, I didn't even think of it being potentially useful to a city's economy. Big cost upfront, but then a partial profit goes back to a city's fund which can then be used for maintenance, supplies, trade, etc. Thanks for the input!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I just ran from my house back to Heartwood in as straight a line as possible. It took 14 minutes - I've illustrated the path on this map. I also threw some spots on there that are roughly 10 minutes apart, which would limit foot travel to about 5 minutes.

I don't know how fast mounts are going to be - maybe if it's double character running speed we won't need a travel system, but even at that it'd take ~ a half hour real time to traverse the map.

Governor travel concept map

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Its possible that as the game matures teleports could be implemented. Personally, i would prefer if they would be player driven rather than developer built static points. Like a guild could build a teleport station in their town or enchantments that teleport you to specific locations. Or possibly people learn a teleport spell that can take others with them to other locations.
    We know that there will be portals to pass between planets so perhaps player built versions could be implemented eventually.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Just played for a bit, an interesting thing I'd like to note is that while admittedly the journey may not be as long as I initially believed, there's still a marked difference between the time you perceive actively doing something (building, fighting, etc.) and just holding down a mouse button to walk. While my trip only took around 30 minutes it felt like a practical eternity doing nothing but navigating my character.

Just something to consider I suppose 🙂

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Recoil - I'm actually enjoying the realism of having to work to get someplace on foot instead of just teleporting, but devs have promised mounts in the finished game, so things will feel 'closer' on the back of a horse/worg 😉

My m.o when I have a ways to travel is to pick a reagent or two that my pc needs to do an enchantment she wants on her gear. So I'll run a ways and then look around for a rabbit or some mandrake, then run a ways further. I'm enjoying the exploration, and sometimes running into the odd direwolf 🐺 👀

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@PeachMcD said in Travelling is "complicated" to be mild:

@Recoil - I'm actually enjoying the realism of having to work to get someplace on foot instead of just teleporting

I'm actually enjoying this aspect too, makes the game feel more real I think. I think straight-up teleportation would sort of ruin this aspect, save maybe a spell for some particularly knowledgeable wizards. I was suggesting the paid transport system because I feel like it'd work for both players that enjoy the realistic aspects of the game without having to sit there and control your character for 15 minutes or more going from city to city 🙂

Travelling on foot, through hard terrain should indeed be slow and cumbersome. That's why players should try and use their knowledge for more efficient travel (when this all is implemented of course). 🙂

One factor is using mounts to travel faster.

Another factor is travelling on roads, when there will be bonuses (bonus by traveling on road should be tangible). Why? Because it will be risk vs profit. Roads will due to this reason likely be spots where ambushes will be made. So faster travel vs bigger risk of an ambush.

Having all of the above, combined with teleportation options (including all their limitations), and travelling should imho end up well designed.

Just enough so that it still requires an effort, but if you are organized and use your options, it will not be a pain. 🙂

Again, as Specter mentioned, not all is implemented yet, so it's hard to judge at this moment.

You're enjoying it right now because it is all new. Once you have explored everything (and yes you will eventually when the game goes live) moving from your home or town to the location you wish to work a spawn it will get old getting to the destination. Now if travel times are low say 15 mins or less to get to places then no problem. But if a location takes an hour to get there and you are the type of player that doesn't have 3 hours to play then you will never get to play in that location unless there is a way to log out safely in the wilderness say with a bedroll. If there is then you can continue to travel there at a later time. However, you can't plan to do things in locations that far away with a group unless you set it up in advance and tell everyone to meet there and log back in at a certain time.

I also saw someone mention gold sinks. Why exactly do we need gold sinks when at this time the game is not producing coins for players. It is my understanding there are no loot drops. At this point in time I have seen no reference to putting coins into the system.

@Farlander said, "unless there is a way to log out safely in the wilderness say with a bedroll. "

My personal suggestion is a re-useable tipi made from x# of branches + y# of hides. That's realistic enough and doesn't take up a lot of inventory space. It might not foil creatures w INT above a certain # but those are rare, right?

One thing I've decided to do, personally, is re-set my fireplace's availability to 'PUBLIC' so anyone who passes by can rest up and cook their dinner. It's zero skin off my nose, and will help visitors from other parts of the map. Feel free to do the same! IMy little toons will be most grateful for any homey fires they find open to them in their travels 😉

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Farlander Has a great point there. While it's admittedly not too bad at the moment, a few months/years down the line when you're a veteran player I guarantee that spending a solid amount of time travelling on the road will get pretty old pretty fast, especially if it's actually long enough where you need to cut several hours out of your day in order to travel, meet up with friends, adventure, then travel back. However I'll also admit that as Specter said, we don't know a whole lot yet about the travel systems. Right now we can only really guess based off of what we've seen.

As far as the gold sinks go, I guess we'll just have to wait until we get more info on the economy first.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@PeachMcD That's a super idea - I'll pop another one outside the house.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@Recoil said in Travelling is "complicated" to be mild:
    (because not everyone has 3 hours to spare irl just to travel across the map to meet up with a friend, nor should that be expected).

alt text

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured