Forum Privileges

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I'd like to propose allowing members to post videos, perhaps it can be something integrated with the alpha when it comes out, or members who have shown that they aren't simply going to shit post when they do share. I for one would love to be able to see video once members are creating it, rather than only posting links, why not allow an embed for certain ranks on the forum?

@greenfire said in Forum Privileges:

I'd like to propose allowing members to post videos, perhaps it can be something integrated with the alpha when it comes out, or members who have shown that they aren't simply going to shit post when they do share. I for one would love to be able to see video once members are creating it, rather than only posting links, why not allow an embed for certain ranks on the forum?

I'd guess because of forums storage space capacity limits.

Forum already went crazy once when it went out of memory (at that time devs noticed they partitioned the space wrong and they fixed it), but even so, space still has limits since devs are running this on their own server.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@gothix said in Forum Privileges:

@greenfire said in Forum Privileges:

I'd guess because of forums storage space capacity limits.

Forum already went crazy once when it went out of memory (at that time devs noticed they partitioned the space wrong and they fixed it), but even so, space still has limits since devs are running this on their own server.

Space isn't the problem if the users are posting videos they uploaded to another service like YouTube or one of its competitors. So long as the videos are entirely rendered on the browser side the load on the DS servers will be trivial.

The issue with posting videos is that they can be distracting if they take up a lot of screen space on the forum. Granting that privilege based on Kickstarter or Foundation rank to users that can be trusted to not abuse it would work out.

Not sure if there's enough of a need for this to justify the development time though. Depends on how long it would take to implement.

I think I'd rather the DS devs focus on the actual build rather than the forums at this point. 😁

• The problem is that the forum uses Markdown which doesn't support embedding video.

@target said in Forum Privileges:

The problem is that the forum uses Markdown which doesn't support embedding video.

Letdown Markdown has some major limitations.
    It can allow you to upload though, just need to set privileges for it. I'm gathering the devs will just need to expand their server size to manage that?

• Community Manager

@greenfire This forum probably lacks the plugin necessary to embed videos. I shall ask Prometheus if it's possible to install it.

@specter
    I like it the way it is though. just a link.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@target said in Forum Privileges:

The problem is that the forum uses Markdown which doesn't support embedding video.

Wait, what?

[blinks]

What?!

@specter awesome thanks!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured