Whats the game engine?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Hey, do we know whats the game engine of Fractured?
    Interested in optimization and massive battles.

• Wiki Editor

Hello @tyuss and welcome.
    I'm pretty sure, you have many questions and you posted the first question in reason of the Foundation Points. So i hint you, just to do all your available Foundation quests, and read carefully the FAQ and News.
    Then you will have a clue about how cool the massive battles can be in future and how you are able to optimize your character. 🙂

• Community Manager

@tyuss

Game engine: Unity.
    Server infrastructure: SpatialOS.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@specter I never truly understood what SpatialOS provides...

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@nightcoder said in Whats the game engine?:

@specter I never truly understood what SpatialOS provides...

SpatialOS is a dynamic cloud computing solution for server hosting. The main two perks I'm aware of from its fancy-pants technology are:

• Any number of players in the same area without any risk of server lag or crashing
    • No transitions or loading times when traveling across the game world

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@specter said in Whats the game engine?:

@tyuss

Game engine: Unity.
    Server infrastructure: SpatialOS.

I don't think I've ever played a game that uses the Unity engine before.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@fibs So basically it takes away the need to deal with the headache of the networking sides of the game, right?

@Truvidien88 You must have. Nearly half of all new PC games use Unity3D.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@fibs So basically it takes away the need to deal with the headache of the networking sides of the game, right?

They basically just need to "rent" some SpatialOS usage, set up the game rules and administrator tools, and do the client in Unity. I think all the leg work is done by SpatialOS

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@fibs said in Whats the game engine?:

They basically just need to "rent" some SpatialOS usage, set up the game rules and administrator tools, and do the client in Unity. I think all the leg work is done by SpatialOS

Yes, I though as much. If I understand correctly from Improbable's website they do allow you to set up your own servers instead of using their cloud services, which I believe is important because it's never wise to create a dependency on a 3rd party, which means that if they go bankrupt then your MMO is kaput as well.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Truvidien88 You must have. Nearly half of all new PC games use Unity3D.

I play a lot of MMO's so most likely not other than that I play a few Moba's but I've been playing the hell out of Dead by Daylight lately. Crowfall is the only one I know other than this that uses Unity that I would look into.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@truvidien88 said in Whats the game engine?:

I play a lot of MMO's so most likely not other than that I play a few Moba's but I've been playing the hell out of Dead by Daylight lately. Crowfall is the only one I know other than this that uses Unity that I would look into.

Unity is not just for MMOs. In fact most single player games use it as well.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Unity is used in many games I've played, from Hearthstone to Cities:Skylines. Unity is for the client side only. I've played great looking games, made in Unity, Cryengine and Unreal. As a player, I've never noticed the difference.

SpatialOS is more obscure. I've only found one MMO made with SpatialOS: Worlds Adrift. The steam reviews are 'mostly positive', but the game has lag problems.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@jozef said in Whats the game engine?:

SpatialOS is more obscure. I've only found one MMO made with SpatialOS: Worlds Adrift. The steam reviews are 'mostly positive', but the game has lag problems.

That's not good news. Not having to waste previous dev time dealing with lags is exactly the reasons to opt for such a 3rd party platform in the first place.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

That's not good news. Not having to waste previous dev time dealing with lags is exactly the reasons to opt for such a 3rd party platform in the first place.

I'm not saying that Spatial OS is causing this lag. Before today I had never heard of that game. It's the only game I found when I googled for "Spatial OS MMO". I haven't played that game. I don't know how big the performance issue is or how long they have been having it. Maybe it's just one of those - oh so common these days - we're out of money, we'll release the game.

Years ago, I backed a kickstarter campaign for a MMORPG that used Hero Engine. A few years ago the devs of that game switched to Unreal Engine, because of issues with Hero Engine. Those devs didn't have enough money, so they used all the assets they had created to make a survival game and put the MMORPG on hiatus. Recently they sold the MMORPG to the owners of Hero Engine. That MMORPG will probably be finished at some point in the future, but it won't be the game the original devs promised. Of course Hero Engine and Spatial OS are two completely different beasts.

I've had some disappointing experiences with all kinds of games I backed on kickstarter or purchased in early access. These days I back merely because I want the devs of a game to have a chance at trying to make the game they want to make. If we don't do that, then all we'll ever get to play in the future will be cheaply made one man indie games and big budged games made by economists/psychologists.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I honestly never even heard of Spatial OS until now. Shows how long I've been away from things lol. While I won't knock it because it could be a good thing in the end.. But with every game as always I don't count on servers holding up on launch day.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I honestly never even heard of Spatial OS until now.

I haven't played any games that use Spatial OS either. It's a rather new thing. I also backed the Chronicles of Elyria kickstarter. They planned on using it, but changed their mind when they realised the hosting would be too expensive for it's huge game world and it's offline players still being active in the world (https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/23401/A-Year-of-Foundation).

But with every game as always I don't count on servers holding up on launch day.

That's only a problem when more people than expected want to play at the same moment or at the same location. With Spatial OS that should be less of a problem, It should be able to scale easy. Spatial OS is also a bit of a showcase for Googles cloud services, so they will probably keep on eye on those servers too.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured