Fractured Sprint 13/15 Recap (Feb 05, 2018)

• @alecrocks said in Fractured Sprint 13/15 Recap (Feb 05, 2018):

With the new computer hardware evolving as the development of Fractured takes places, the creation/upgrading of graphic rendering and stuff like that, will the game rely only in exclusive mechanics/lore/rules to compete with more visually attractive (ex. More hardware intensive) games on the market?

You don't necessarily need high hardware requirements for an aesthetically attractive game. Guild Wars 1 is 13 years old but has its moments where it still looks great. Examples: 1 2 3 4 5 6

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

great!!!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Indeed, there's some limitations to how good older games look, but even relatively low end hardware in use currently (outside business, which still has 60s tech some places) will allow for pretty solid graphics.

There's plenty of games which run with graphics not that much better than GW1 or Gothic3, and which do well. Gameplay is >>>>> graphics. As long as they keep it within so many years of video cards, they will have far better options than the tech those games used. For reference, the video cards of that era (top end) were the 7900 series for Nvidia, and the 1900 series for AMD.

Those are 500 MB cards with similarly tiny bus and memory clock speeds compared to even video cards you can grab for $40 bucks today.

Yes, those games look dated, but not terrible like trying to play some old titles. Used for reference since those are the best 3d minimum viable graphics titles I can think of.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

All will depend on how the design codes are placed huh. curious how devs will tackle this

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Will status effects that act as crowd control be treated like in some MOBAs, being there hard and soft cc? If so, will hard cc’s stack indefinitely, by this I mean can someone be, for example, stunned forever or does every consequent hard cc last lesser than the previous one? Will there be a way to break from cc’s or will you have to live through it? Last but not least (sorry for bombarding with questions..), will status like freeze have an additional effect to it, like once the freeze is done the character will be slowed cause muscles might be numb or burn cause it to take more damage or poisons have a chance to leave you with a disease after the battle is over?
    Thank you!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@matvanpac I doubt they will have hard CC in PvP where you can just be kept locked down forever, but I do hope they have it a little less... pathetic than in most MMOs at this point. I do like status effects that do lingering after-effect, that's an interesting idea!

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@jairone Hard CC is fine... if it has extremely rough diminishing returns on it. Making it a hail mary you have to use at the perfect time or lose it for that fight. Or at the very least for the majority of a drawn out battle.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

As I noted, PvP hard CC is highly unlikely. Having it be a little more effective in strategy would be nice, as the nerfed versions that are current MMO centric... make it almost worthless with the diminishing.

I'd rather see it be a system with a bigger drawback instead. Say, for example, CCs have a long cooldown and the targets come out with some buffs. For example, you could have one that locks down a target's ability to move, but which gives them a strong damage boost when they are released for a short time.

Planning where and when to CC suddenly becomes important, without making it useless in turn. Having something to mitigate those buffs, positioning when it breaks... there's a lot that can go wrong under that circumstance.

I'd much rather see something like that, than diminishing returns. Which, honestly, feels like a bandaid to the problem in PvP. With the above, it also makes use of the idea in PvE as something that can be an advantage but needs proper planning and attention.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@jairone diminishing returns serve an important function in a lot of mmo games the days. They prevent stunlocking. Having a high cool down would not prevent this in group fights. Pick a target and boom.. locked down. Strong no thanks from me on that one. Don't like the idea too terribly much.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@genobee Stunlocking with a big group on a single target would require a lot of coordination, especially with longer cooldowns. Beyond which, I'm imagining the buff effects stacking with such a thing to where once free that player would quite thoroughly wipe out any foes left.

The problem with diminishing returns remains. It promotes CC spam while also not making the smart use of CC important. Stunlocks are not very fun, but the standard diminishing returns thing annoys me like crazy.

On the other hand, I would be open to a stacking buff for being CC'd repeatedly in addition to the other idea, where you start gaining a chance to not only break out of CC with the buffs due, but gain an additional benefit (for example, say you are CC'd three times in a row, and this buff causes you to break out with benefits. It also makes you invisible and leaves a clone behind to look CC'd for two seconds.)

My problem with diminishing returns is that it is a boring idea that serves only to allow PvP to go back to battle more quickly. It adds no depth. I'd like to see thought and depth in encounters. Which is why I favor a different solution. Maybe you have an idea, other than just to say "NO!!!!!!!!!!"?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jairone The only good CC debuff i have ever seen.

After receiving an Stun. You will have an 20% chance to shrug off the next stun.
    And this stacks and sticks with you for 20 seconds.

I know, i know!
    It makes it hard for cc spam to affect a fight if it goes on to long.
    But as both sides have the same debuff going on, picking targets and killing them while on the first cc or second rotation.
    Makes this more tactical, then to perma cc someone with a chain spam.

And if something is doable, people will do it.
    I can remember a guild, that would abuse "stun" spam via a musical skill.
    Anyone entering the range, would be stunned ... forever. They won pvp matchs non stop, till the devs added the stacking debuff. Which made pvp generaly more fun and fair.

• CC resitance got added as a stat, derived from vitality. Tanks would be harder to cc then squishy mages or archers.

• Diminishing returns sounds good @Greenfox

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@greenfox said in Fractured Sprint 13/15 Recap (Feb 05, 2018):

After receiving an Stun. You will have an 20% chance to shrug off the next stun.

I know, i know!
    But as both sides have the same debuff going on, picking targets and killing them while on the first cc or second rotation.

Anyone entering the range, would be stunned ... forever. They won pvp matchs non stop, till the devs added the stacking debuff. Which made pvp generaly more fun and fair.

• CC resitance got added as a stat, derived from vitality. Tanks would be harder to cc then squishy mages or archers.

Again, my problem with that is that it only addresses the specifics of PvP, with a boring minor effect, that essentially destroys any chance of having something like controller builds that are viable in PvP (which generally means they simply don't exist). Which is why I thought of having something else.

I'm not suggesting something where people can be long term stunlocked. I know that isn't fun. I want something with more to it than "Oh, I got stunned before so now somehow I'm less vulnerable to it." There's a ton of possibilities out there, and a lot that can impact other areas of gameplay instead of being essentially just a PvP thing. In fact, I think that with some work the idea of having other effects tied to CC would make a huge impact with PvE content.

Yes, people abuse things. Which is why I was also open to the idea of having breakouts (basically a form of diminishing that isn't quite so obvious, so there is some surprise with the randomness of it). Because we all know that with d.r. in place people have timers running on how long it will last, and plot around that. It is essentially still stunlock and kill. Just with shorter stunlocks and downtime.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jairone said in Fractured Sprint 13/15 Recap (Feb 05, 2018):

I know, i know!

Again, my problem with that is that it only addresses the specifics of PvP, with a boring minor effect, that essentially destroys any chance of having something like controller builds that are viable in PvP (which generally means they simply don't exist). Which is why I thought of having something else.

I'm not suggesting something where people can be long term stunlocked. I know that isn't fun. I want something with more to it than "Oh, I got stunned before so now somehow I'm less vulnerable to it." There's a ton of possibilities out there, and a lot that can impact other areas of gameplay instead of being essentially just a PvP thing. In fact, I think that with some work the idea of having other effects tied to CC would make a huge impact with PvE content.

Yes, people abuse things. Which is why I was also open to the idea of having breakouts (basically a form of diminishing that isn't quite so obvious, so there is some surprise with the randomness of it). Because we all know that with d.r. in place people have timers running on how long it will last, and plot around that. It is essentially still stunlock and kill. Just with shorter stunlocks and downtime.

Why wouldn't they exist?
    I truly don't get it.

Controller builds existed still after the "nerfs" to the supreme OPness. What was perma stun loocking, anyone and everyone ...

It just wasn't all mighty anymore.
    A stun, a second one.
    A slow or a blind.
    These wouldn't "Stack" on each other, just the same kind of cc would inflict the deminishing return buff.

Peopel switched from makeing it an "totaly cc zone" too "clever cc layers, which worked well. But where beatable, if someone really made an effort".

... the moment someone can cc chain you for more then 3~5 seconds in one spot, for an 100% chance.
    It's not fun for anyone.

It's like how guildwars was a fun pvp game. Till you saw how high end people fought ... all stacking the same dots on the same enemy. And nukeing that dude with an extrem amount of damage. Or any extrem hard cc ... or other extrem nuke.

Pro PvP in guildwars ... was boring as hell.

And about the "somehow less vunerable".
    You could say, that the magical stun. Works the same way like the common flu.
    You catch it and the next month, you're less likely to catch it again after getting trough it. But you might catch it nevertheless if your unlucky...
    And if you stand in a train with people with snoot dripping and coughs and sneezes flying everywhere.
    Well ... the best luck not catching that flu again.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jairone said in Fractured Sprint 13/15 Recap (Feb 05, 2018):

I know, i know!

Why wouldn't they exist?
    I truly don't get it.

Controller builds existed still after the "nerfs" to the supreme OPness. What was perma stun loocking, anyone and everyone ...

It just wasn't all mighty anymore.
    A stun, a second one.
    A slow or a blind.
    These wouldn't "Stack" on each other, just the same kind of cc would inflict the deminishing return buff.

Peopel switched from makeing it an "totaly cc zone" too "clever cc layers, which worked well. But where beatable, if someone really made an effort".

... the moment someone can cc chain you for more then 3~5 seconds in one spot, for an 100% chance.
    It's not fun for anyone.

It's like how guildwars was a fun pvp game. Till you saw how high end people fought ... all stacking the same dots on the same enemy. And nukeing that dude with an extrem amount of damage. Or any extrem hard cc ... or other extrem nuke.

Pro PvP in guildwars ... was boring as hell.

And about the "somehow less vunerable".
    You could say, that the magical stun. Works the same way like the common flu.
    You catch it and the next month, you're less likely to catch it again after getting trough it. But you might catch it nevertheless if your unlucky...
    And if you stand in a train with people with snoot dripping and coughs and sneezes flying everywhere.
    Well ... the best luck not catching that flu again.

Good analogy with the flu. I agree that as time stunlocked goes up, a player's fun becomes an issue.

As for controller builds, tell me where they are in MMOs right now. I'll wait while you find one that is relevant for more than one ability in a random raid battle where that is the only battle a person stays in that build. Because, well, they really just aren't. Even in games where you can have them, they end up being nowhere near as effective as just mass burning things.

I'd like to see more options again, but I don't want to see the whole perma-stunned thing either. I also would like to see even greater depth to the combat and choices of control, where people also won't want to just control a PvE enemy for a long time or anything.

So... that's why I proposed an idea. I'm flexible. It could work WITH diminishing returns, or something similar in some fashion. There's never only one option in life, unless you are unfortunate enough to be placed in a standard MMO storyline...

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

True that.

Well balance will always be a thing.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Greenfox @Jairone
    I think your worries about CC have been discussed in more than one thread already. Honestly, I myself prefer a system with a few (say maybe 2 medium length CD anti-CC skills) if the game has quite a bit of CC. I also rather like games that give the option to turn immune to CC for a short while after CC or getting diminishing returns until you turn immune for a short while. Well balanced CC usually is required to make a MMO good for PVP.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

very cool info, indeed.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Cool beans

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Hope I can play this game when it releases

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured