Thieves, Locks, and Lockpicking

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I've been wondering about thievery in Fractured. People will have homes and possessions in those homes, right? So, I assume, at least in some circumstances, it'll be possible to break in and steal those things. I did some searching and couldn't find much about it so I'm wondering in what ways people will be able to steal from someone's home and what ways there will be to passively prevent or actively defend against such things? And specifically, will there be locks? Will there be lockpicking? Will there be different levels of locks that are more difficult to lockpick? I have some ideas about how to implement lockpicking based on reality if it's planned to be a thing.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I intend on being a master trap maker. I am going to put a easy to pick lock on my door but a near impossible trap just inside my home. This way when I log in each day I will have fresh bodies to loot. Best money making scheme in the world, and I only kill A-holes.

I certainly hope if there's a way for folks to straighten your stuff, there's equally a way to lock it up. But I like that idea. Easy lock to hard lock, killing thieves all the live long day.

I have never, in all the last 20 years that I played games, seen a game that thievery worked good.
    I do not know how can it be balanced, and run well in an mmorpg.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I believe there was a story about someone stealing a god tier item from someone else in Ultima Online, which was a huge thrill to read. Even so, stealing as a mechanic would take ages to be done correctly for very little benefit (a.k.a feature creep), and I wouldn't want the devs to go down that road.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

If that can do it properly it would be awesome

• Wiki Editor

Thievery would be great, but there need to be a good balanced evidence system to get it well balanced.
    A bad thiev will be able to get catched easily a good one more difficult.
    Also there must be a good defense strategy against thieves.
    From Traps till Honeypots.
    However it can be implemented, it should not be an easy skill, that everyone can learn fast. If you chose to be a thiev, there should be some malus on other skills.

@basileus said in Thieves, Locks, and Lockpicking:

I believe there was a story about someone stealing a god tier item from someone else in Ultima Online, which was a huge thrill to read. Even so, stealing as a mechanic would take ages to be done correctly for very little benefit (a.k.a feature creep), and I wouldn't want the devs to go down that road.

I read about a 2 year process for a merc to infiltrate a corporation in Eve Online to kill the Corp owner. They ended up stealing over 5b worth of goods too!

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I think lock picking as a skill should be on the knowledge tree, as long as you have something tiny enough to fit inside said lock.

If someone leaves their house unlocked, then they're just begging to get stolen from.

Oh yeah laws in syndesia should counteract thieving, and bait houses/bait loots should be a thing.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured