Slow combat vs Fast combat

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@vicious Like what kinda skillshots? Point and click doesnt seem to offer a lot of those in this genre. League of legends does but that is a different type of game altogether. Champions of norrath had where you had to aim your ranged shots though.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Combat speed is going to be slower than most RPG's of oneshot hordes of mobs. I think atleast. With what Fractured boasts, there's no way it's going to be fast-paced per se, but it's going to require positioning, thinking, and apm.

As for skillshots I think you just have to either aim your mouse or turn your character towards the enemy.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@grofire said in Slow combat vs Fast combat:

@logain vs player and vs boss it should be slow, but normal pve should be fast.

I'm simply stating my own humble preference, if the developers decide to carter for that or not is another thing. But in my view, everything should be tactical and slow, simply because there is no leveling and no grinding. If you're not supposed to grind, then the fun of the game (in combat) should be from every single encounter and not just from PvP and 'boss' battles.

@logain ya i know its your opinion, its fine. i said mine, i want PVE to contain all, slow, fast, tactical, mindless, every thing you can think of... different area will got different PVE, just need to balance all (exp per time).

(...)just need to balance all (exp per time).

Which is exactly the point I was trying to highlight.
    There is NO EXP PER TIME. You don't gain experience, you don't level up. You can't grind higher tier equipment.
    The first SECOND you start the game, you're going to be equally powerful as after a thousand of hours playing.

@logain ok, but you failed to understand the most impotent words in my sentence: "i want PVE to contain all, slow, fast, tactical, mindless, every thing you can think of... different area will got different PVE"

@logain ok, but you failed to understand the most impotent words in my sentence: "i want PVE to contain all, slow, fast, tactical, mindless, every thing you can think of... different area will got different PVE"

I understood and read that, but the point is, what's the use of 'fast' PvE in a game where you can not gain power or grind?

@logain sometimes it fun runing throw a horde and demolish it...
    that why i want to have all kind of different combat speed.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Somewhere between. Tactics should matter, but it should also be fast enough to make reacting to something important. Ideally to me it should have enough depth to make a little teamwork and forethought advantageous, but not require it to where people will get frustrated when their friends and neighbors are not online for PvE.

I'm more of a fan of having 50 mm thick armor and having a small gun, then having a 150 mm cannon and being made of glass.

All too often PVP boils down to who can get off the first wombo-combo.

I like there to be strategy and tactics involved in combat, not just roll my face across the keyboard.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@logain said in Slow combat vs Fast combat:

(...)just need to balance all (exp per time).

Which is exactly the point I was trying to highlight.
    There is NO EXP PER TIME. You don't gain experience, you don't level up. You can't grind higher tier equipment.
    The first SECOND you start the game, you're going to be equally powerful as after a thousand of hours playing.

Well that isn't exactly true as gaining skills/gear does make you "more powerful". Its just the scale is much lower then one would think, or that's at least what I am led to believe.

@lovechildbell said in Slow combat vs Fast combat:

(...)Well that isn't exactly true as gaining skills/gear does make you "more powerful". Its just the scale is much lower then one would think, or that's at least what I am led to believe.

I'm going to quote what Prometheus responded in another thread here:

Prometheus said in Mega Update - Cheaper Packs, Pre-Alpha Keys & More:

(...)As long as you still have limited sources available, you'll be looking for those, since unlimited sources are rare and/or give much fewer points. Unlimited sources matter only once you've run out of limited. At that point, however, your character is likely already dozens of hours old, has unlocked all the 50 talent points and has a good variety of builds available - it can be considered "done" from a "competitive" standpoint. (...)

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@logain I have a feeling that the "it can be considered done from a competitive standpoint" is in no way an absolute and is simply referring to the fact that having better in game skills does not automatically give you the win. I'd also like to know what he mean by dozens of hours old, is this total played time? Or just "I've made this character 12 irl hours ago"? As if its the former then only a small handful of the player base will reach that on day one

@lovechildbell said in Slow combat vs Fast combat:

(...)simply referring to the fact that having better in game skills does not automatically give you the win(...) is this total played time(...)

I read this comment as 'the main difference in combat power is going to be from a situational point', such as being able to counter your enemy, while your enemy can't counter you. That would go hand in hand with the life Q&A answer of one build being able to dominate another build.
    And it is far beneficial to 'explore' compared to grind from a meta-gaming best use per time ratio, until you have the basic 50 talent points done.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@logain well as what we do know does seem to point in this direction so you do have a fair point. But it seems likely that the 50 points is a more an almost bare bones minimum rather then a competitive near end game state.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Definitely not a spamfest please. I want to be able to play space and counter with reaction rather than something like black desert where you get hit once and BOOM! and half of it is like 10 moves in 4 seconds.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

fast combat

• DymStudios - CEO

@dagimir said in Slow combat vs Fast combat:

a quick spamfest like diablo 3? Clearing whole maps in a matter of minutes

Although Fractured has a combat system inspired to classic actions RPGs, there will be no "spamfest" whatsoever. The ARPG inspiration is mostly visible when it comes to game controls and the fact there is no auto-attack, attacks and projectiles can be dodged (no target follow), spells are skillshots (besides a few exceptions), etc. This makes combat very dynamic - and sometimes hectic because monsters are generally dangerous and able to use several different abilities themselves, so there's a lot of moving and a lot of strategizing to do at the same time.

Of course you have to take our words for this, because that doesn't show much in the pre-alpha videos. It will be already a thing in Alpha 1 (which is anyway more focused on crafting/building than combat), and will grow over the course of Alpha.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@prometheus Thanks for this update Prometheus. I appreciate that you guys are being transparent. I like this approach vs having everything happen super fast. These are "people" (characters) not arcade heroes.

@prometheus

and i'm sure it can be adjusted as testing progresses.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured