Suggestion: Offline character activities

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@benseine said in Suggestion: Offline character activities:

@muker no loss of knowlegde, your offline character is just a copy NPC. And you will see who killed you. That was my whole reason to introduce them. So you can see which enemies where near your settlement while you where offline. I highlighted it for you in the OP.

1. my translator's inaccuracy
    2. I find it abnormal even if administered because death involves death. If the BOT NPCs died, you have to buy a new one, with a different or similar range of skills

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@muker said in Suggestion: Offline character activities:

@muker no loss of knowlegde, your offline character is just a copy NPC. And you will see who killed you. That was my whole reason to introduce them. So you can see which enemies where near your settlement while you where offline. I highlighted it for you in the OP.

1. I find it abnormal even if administered because death involves death. If the BOT NPCs died, you have to buy a new one, with a different or similar range of skills

no the copy NPC/BOT will respawn after some time. so same NPC with same abilities. If it costs you anything depends if you choose to have it with your own gear (your items are lost) , guard duty gear (some currency from guildbank is lost) or just clothes (free). Maybe you can choose to set your offline character not to respawn after dead.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

This is grossly obtuse and completely pointless.

A better system is just to allow guilds to hire non-player NPCs to do all of these jobs for them, especially the non-combat ones. Not only would this be a ton easier to implement, but these NPC jobs would not be interrupted constantly by players signing on. You've basically made a system that punishes players for being active.

The player guard system is also exploitable - players will be able to log on and off to manipulate guard spawns / positions and, most likely, their HP.

Just give us regular old NPCs to hire, it's simpler and it's better.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@fibs

yes, hire guards/NPC's is easier, but less unique.

Why does it punishes players to be online? The guildsettlements are protected anyway, the guards simply log enemy activity while you are offline. The offline gatherers are in no way as effective as gathering online yourself, especially for crafting resources. It just offer guilds an extra income of basic survival items such as firewood, nuts and berries.

Why is it exploitable? If the rule is you log off inside the settlement and you offline character always spawns at the town hall and goes to their assigned activity from there, then I don't see any exploitable options. I added this to the OP btw.

It's an interesting idea, reminds me of a game I played a long time ago called Age of Wushu. A detailed explanation is available here, but essentially, it allows players who log out in a city to put their characters to work as NPCs, such as servants or guards. VIP players can also have their character open a shop after they log out in a city.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@fibs

yes, hire guards/NPC's is easier, but less unique.

Do you know some ideas are "unique", i.e. never done before, because they are not good ideas and so people don't do them?

Why does it punishes players to be online?

As I said, these activities require players to be offline, i.e. they stop once they sign back on. This means players (more specifically their guilds) are punished for being online, and makes the system self-defeating.

The offline gatherers are in no way as effective as gathering online yourself

They're more effective than being online, though. As in, online and doing anything other than gathering.

Why is it exploitable? If the rule is you log off inside the settlement and you offline character always spawns at the town hall and goes to their assigned activity from there, then I don't see any exploitable options. I added this to the OP btw.

In this case, signing on and back off allows you to:

• instantly summon your guard back to the town hall (the 1 building that is probably most under attack)
    • refresh your guard to max HP with all skill cooldowns removed
    • break skill targeting (whether automatic or manual)
    • not actually participate or risk anything while griefing your siegers

This sort of exploit is viable in Ragnarok Online and I'd rather not see it happen again in Fractured.

Also, if you have to sign off while inside of the settlement, the usefulness of the system to begin with is diminished since most guild members will most likely not be regularly "coming back home" to log off.

Please, just give us regular hired NPCs. This is so much more complicated while being so much less useful.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@fibs You say never done before, but then you mention it was like that in Ragnarok Online, another mentioned it was in Age of Wushu and appearantly Chronicles of Elria wil have it as core machanic...

The players or guild aren't punished for being online because online you can gather so much more then an offline character. This can also be easily balanced.

And about the Ragnarok Online exploit:

In this case, signing on and back off allows you to:

• instantly summon your guard back to the town hall (the 1 building that is probably most under attack) So put a 10 minute timer on the spawning of your offline character
    • refresh your guard to max HP with all skill cooldowns removed Irrevelvant with a 10 minute timer
    • break skill targeting (whether automatic or manual) Irrelevant with 10 minute timer
    • not actually participate or risk anything while griefing your siegers I don't think an offline character will be a viable substitute for a online member in a siege

On top of that we could just add NPC for hire to guild settlements. I currently play gw2 wich has NPC guards and NPC patrols everywhere add they add very little to the game in my humple opinion...

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Why do you want kill "players" Bots instead common NPC bots? It's the same. I really prefer somethign hiring NPC rather than setting up my char bot.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@fibs You say never done before, but then you mention it was like that in Ragnarok Online, another mentioned it was in Age of Wushu and appearantly Chronicles of Elria wil have it as core machanic...

You're clutching at straws. You focused on your idea's "uniqueness", I focused on its merit.

Ragnarok Online didn't use your system, by the way. I was referring to many private servers featuring an exploitable refresh command that completely breaks PVP and to a lesser extent PVE too. This wasn't an intended feature from the official developers and is not available on official servers.

The players or guild aren't punished for being online because online you can gather so much more then an offline character. This can also be easily balanced.

Okay, let me try to explain this again.

Online players who are not gathering (the vast majority of online players at any one time) gather significantly less than a so-called "offline player". Specifically, they gather zero. The guild therefore has a conflict of interest in keeping its players offline.

Here's another exploit I didn't mention before: making alt characters solely to keep them idle in guilds. If you're not gonna play a character we shouldn't encourage you to make one.

And about the Ragnarok Online exploit:

Can I just take the time to say: don't put your reply to a quote inside the quote uurgghh

So put a 10 minute timer on [guard refreshing]

Here you are illustrating one of the problems with your idea and totally not even realizing it: It hasn't even been implemented yet and you're already throwing ad hoc hotfixes on it.

... and now guards are useless because they have a ten minute respawn. It will take ten seconds for a raid guild to take out your guards. Why have them to begin with?

I don't think an offline character will be a viable substitute for a online member in a siege

Then why have them?? Hell, competitive guilds schedule their players in shifts and thus almost always have a defense force online to begin with.

You've pretty much admitted that the main reason you want this system and not a hire system is "it's different" and that the offline players are practically useless anyway.

So... why exactly??? It isn't intuitive to use, it's awkward to implement, it isn't appealing to guilds, it's impossible to balance, etc. etc.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@finland said in Suggestion: Offline character activities:

. demons are the master race able to kill only bots?

A demon could be redempt if he kill lot of bots ?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gofrit hahaha nope bro.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@fibs said in Suggestion: Offline character activities:

Online players who are not gathering (the vast majority of online players at any one time) gather significantly less than a so-called "offline player". Specifically, they gather zero. The guild therefore has a conflict of interest in keeping its players offline.
    Here's another exploit I didn't mention before: making alt characters solely to keep them idle in guilds. If you're not gonna play a character we shouldn't encourage you to make one.

If you have extended crafting ingame I can't imagine an offline character will collect resoures for settlement upgrades, maybe a handfull of basic materials.

Alts won't work. If you log one character on, you have no offline activity on any character. Have one alt stationed inside the guild, while your main if exploring the far corners of the world... who cares. Added this to the OP too btw.

Why have them to begin with? To make a guild settlement look very cool! To have a log of enemy activity around your settlement while main part of guild is logged off. (Who cares if hardcore guild runs in shifts or something, good for them). To make being part of a guild extra interesteing vs playing completely solo in an mmorpg. And I don't expect guards to be very effective guards vs a group of enemie players. It's just fun. I remember how dead playercities in Darkfall Unholy Wars looked like, or Battlekeeps in Age of Conan. Was really a shame. I just want guild settlements to look alive and attract ppl.

there should never be any progression outside of the game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in Suggestion: Offline character activities:

So if offline characters didn't lvl up, and there was no gathering, you would be okay having an offline character wondering around the guild settlement? My main reason is still to make guild settlements look more alive.

So if offline characters didn't lvl up, and there was no gathering, you would be okay having an offline character wondering around the guild settlement? My main reason is still to make guild settlements look more alive.

i don't want people to bypass playing the game. that's my end of statement.

if you want guilds to look alive then recruit more players.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I have started a thread that talks about that "making a game alive" few months ago. You don't need a system like CoE where you turn the player to an NPC. I suppose and at the same time I hope that the game will have lots of active NPCs doing tasks around an not staic NPCs like Albion. At the same I suggested months ago to add something to hire npc for the guild settlements. Obviiusly that will require resources. But turning a player to an NPC is like Botting (I not again botting if used for the personal progress, I just hate botters that sell for real money).

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Huh interesting suggestion can't say I've ever experienced this kind of system before, could be interesting if implemented correctly, let's see if these kind of ideas will be furthered eh?

• Wiki Editor

Your character can "learn" offline so there is some progression outside the game.

Maybe that's the best compromise - as @kellewic said, we know our characters can continue learning even while offline:

When you have your tome and enough Knowledge Points, you can start the learning process: the points are consumed and the book is inscribed, removed from your inventory and added to one of the Learning Slots of your character – if you have at least one not in use. Once launched, a learning process cannot be interrupted and continues even when your character is offline. The inscribed tome disappears when the learning has been completed.

It could be as simple as this: when you go offline, the learning process continues, as stated above. If you go offline while in a city, the process goes slightly faster (~10% maybe?), which makes sense from a realism standpoint as well, since studying is probably easier in the safety and peace of a city than it is out in the wilderness.

While this is going on, your character idles around the city like an NPC, not doing anything important, just making the place feel more alive. There's no benefit to being offline instead of playing, cities look less empty, and players get an incentive to spend more time in cities. I think that could work.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured