Crafting system and lifeskilling suggestion

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Hi, I know it may be still to early to be talking about a crafting system but still I would like to share some idea I have and know what do you think about it.

First I have to say I would really love to have a deep liveskill/profession system in this game. With the learning system they have plan lvl upping those skill could be better with pratice and for exemple a crafter ou different kind of materiel could learn how to make different weapon or better one by learning a new recipes.

We could have a mentor system in place where a expert at crafting could train passively apprentice to help them progress.

Also 2 mechanic for crafing i have seen in the game crowfall that would be nice to have would be the ability to craft an item with different part. For exemple, a sword would need a blade and a knob. Depending on wich combnation you have the stats will be different. The second mechanic is the ability to tag the item you make with your name soo you gain some renown in the community if you are able to make great waepon.

Soo, what do you think the crafting or other lifeskill should look like ?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

i'm waiting for their crafting spotlight before thinking of it further. without them giving ideas what they have in mind I'm not going to waste energy try to decide for them.

• Wiki Editor

Good point, we should wait, till they give us their view to the system, then we still can think and discuss about šŸ™‚

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Jetah @Kralith

I'm sure the dev. have already a great idea of what they want to do and i fully support them to do as they have plan since their game look really amazing right now šŸ™‚ I just wanted to list here some things i find interesting in other mmo šŸ™‚

Also 2 mechanic for crafing i have seen in the game crowfall that would be nice to have would be the ability to craft an item with different part. For exemple, a sword would need a blade and a knob. Depending on wich combnation you have the stats will be different.

I usually really like mechanics like this, but I don't think it would be a good fit for Fractured. Since it's an isometric game, there'd be no point in making them visually different, and since all weapons will be equal in stats (note: equal doesn't mean the same), the difference in stats between similar weapons will likely be so small that splitting it up into sub-components wouldn't really make sense.

The second mechanic is the ability to tag the item you make with your name soo you gain some renown in the community if you are able to make great waepon.

There was some discussion about a similar topic in this thread.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nelchael said in Crafting system and lifeskilling suggestion:

......since all weapons will be equal in stats (note: equal doesn't mean the same), the difference in stats between similar weapons will likely be so small that splitting it up into sub-components wouldn't really make sense.

There was some discussion about a similar topic in this thread.

This is where I'm waiting for the spotlight on the trade skills because by definition equal does mean the same so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how it's all equal but different.

Definition of equal
    1 a (1) : of the same measure, quantity, amount, or number as another
    (2) : identical in mathematical value or logical denotation : equivalent
    b : like in quality, nature, or status
    c : like for each member of a group, class, or society

I've read through the information on the boards and I've seen everyone posting about how it's all equal and weapons and armor don't matter. I'm just not getting the concept.

If Sword A = Sword B = Sword C then everyone will take Sword A and move on. Which means that once everyone has Sword A there's really nothing left for a weapon smith to do except hope for new players. Or maybe someone wants Hammer A instead.

So I'm waiting for the spot light and hopefully that will clarify things for me.

Iā€™m definitely a huge fan of being able to create your own tag for an item you crafted.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@ladyrowan the look, the durability, the weight, the resistance will be different. If you are hoping to craft tiers that are powerfull level by level will not happen. So people for sure will want more weapons when they will add new looks.

They can not make tiers otherwise the game goes for a vertical prgression instead oriziontal.

@ladyrowan

Equal in this context means equally useful, therefore there won't be any weapons that are objectively superior.

In most classic RPGs, you'd typically start with an iron sword, then you'd work your way up to steel, which would deal more damage and just be overall better. In Fractured, maybe the iron sword would have less durability, but you could deal the same amount of damage with it. And since weapons can be repaired, if steel is scarce on the market, it might be better to pick the iron one and repair it with cheap iron often than to pick the steel sword and have nothing to repair it with when its durability is low.

It also depends on your playstyle, since some players will prefer a shorter, faster sword, whereas others might pick a slower one with more reach. Both deal similar DPS, therefore they're equal, but players will choose the one that suits them best.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I like being able to create a tag line description for your gear and or having your name on it so people can find and contact you. It makes it feel like your work can be recognized. If you are the only one to forge the craziest weapon in the game you should be renowned as that crazy good person.

I do like being able to have your name attached to the item. I think it would help over time to have well known smith or such. Just as long as there is a good reason for it, say longer durability of the item, or able to absorb and retain enchantments. Just slapping a name on the same exact item being made by every single person making said item to me is just a cheating way to say its unique. Give me a reason to need to trust the name on the item or seek an item made by a select few people.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I agree with the idea of getting separate parts, then making final pieces using different combinations. Since great is going to be almost exclusively player-made, having that extent of variability would make a lot of sense (otherwise, the market will just get flooded with a million of the same generic sword, for example).

Along with that, an indication of the crafter for each piece would also make sense, contributing to a more realistic player-centered economy.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Yeah, honestly I'll have to see what direction they are going before I can wrap my head around potential improvements or strengths.

• Wiki Editor

@zwiterion Indeed i fully agree with you.
    And i guess that the devs surely look to all the ideas, suggestions and critisim we have. And i think they will also listen to our fears.
    My result from the first Q&A was, they do it very well. šŸ™‚

As for the topic.
    I would like to have in the crafting system some hidden receipe system. Something you have to figure out by yourself, some secrets that other player can try to hold for themself or sell it for a good value.
    I liked it very much in the previous sandbox mmo i played.

Copyright Ā© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured