Is it going to be F2P, B2P or P2W?

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Just wondering seeing as how most games are going micro heavy leaning more to the P2W side.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@mordekai135

It is b2p, although it is not clear (at least to me) if any expansions will be free or b2p.

The cash shop that will exist, will be purely cosmetic and on top of that, the items sold there won't be in-game items, but account/character unlocks. As such, RMT won't be possible with those either.

I am a purist when it comes to p2w, and I am coming to blows with many people about it. Even by my standards (which could be considered harsh by some), Fractured is not p2w, and, personally, I am not seeing any way for it at becoming/being exploited and turned into a p2w game, unless the devs reverse course to things they have explicitly declared.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

That's one hell of a relief. I don't really care for the p2w games. Try to PvP and end up fighting whales. But from what your saying it's going to align more with how Guild Wars game is set up?

• @phaethonas said in Is it going to be F2P, B2P or P2W?:

It is b2p, although it is not clear (at least to me) if any expansions will be free or b2p.

As of 9 months ago, no plans for paid expansions or dlc.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I'd prefer b2p with sub tbh.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@vezin

name 2 games that have released as b2p with sub and have maintained that in the last 5 years. I know FFXIV but i haven't see any others (at least well known games). All the other sub based games have turned f2p or hybrid.

• Good to hear cash shops are only cosmetics.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Find one just one publisher who use "P2W" for is own game lol.....

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@partymonster Yeah that's totally a good news.

@jetah said in Is it going to be F2P, B2P or P2W?:

@vezin

name 2 games that have released as b2p with sub and have maintained that in the last 5 years. I know FFXIV but i haven't see any others (at least well known games). All the other sub based games have turned f2p or hybrid.

The last five years (and some years before that) were years of experimenting with alternative payment models. All have failed, at sustaining a good game -not to be confused with a game making profit-.

Pure B2P and pay2play (sub) are the only valid options. This includes the following four alternative; a) b2p once (e.g. Fractured), b) b2p initial game and b2p expansions (e.g. GW2 -for the most part-), c) just subscription, with no initial game purchase (e.g. Ashes of Creation), d) subscription with initial game purchase (e.g. Camelot Unchained).

Any other form of payment model, including having a subscription token that can be traded in-game, assuming a player driven economy (e.g. DU, EVE, Crowfall and not WoW) have either failed or lead to p2w, or failed because they lead to p2w.

From the four options the sub model seems the best.

Take Fractured for example. The initial purchase of the game (b2p) will cover the expenses for making the game. New content will be required though in the form of new pve content, despite Fractured being a sandbox game, something, which if I recall correnctly, you pointed out. For Fractured this revenue will come from the cosmetic cash shop, which will have to sustain; a) the servers, b) the new pve content, c) the new cosmetic cash shop content.

If Fractured was having a b2p model for its pve expansions then the cosmetic cash shop would need to cover only; a) the servers, b) the new cosmetic cash shop content.

There is a conflict of interest, of sorts, when the source of income (e.g. the cosmetic cash shop in Fractured's case) will have to sustain another type of content, that is not generating income (e.g. the pve content of this example).

Although GW2 has succeeded at something similar, GW2's case is the exception and not the rule, not to mention that Fractured won't have b2p expansions, making things more difficult.

That said, I consider WoW's paradigm, that had an initial game purchace, has subscription and b2p expansions, over the board. The purchasing of the expansions could be ditched and could be free when purchasing sub time.

Although in the past I was supporting alternative payment models, now I am a purist.

@zopek said in Is it going to be F2P, B2P or P2W?:

These devs grind my gears! A LOT!

Crowfall, Dual Universe, EVE to name a few.

@zopek said in Is it going to be F2P, B2P or P2W?:

Allods Online.

They were pretty up front about it too. Their currency "top up" page had big text "You pay, you win!" for years there. One could have appreciated them at least being honest. 😉

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Fractured is planned to be a buy-in game with no mandatory subscription. The price tag at launch is expected to be between US $20 to $30, possibly less during Early Access if applicable.

The cash shop is currently planned to hold buy-what-you-see cosmetic items only. No stats, no boosters. Lootboxes can be earned, but not purchased, and also only hold cosmetic items.

The cosmetic items currently listed under the Foundation rewards are unique to the Foundation, other than maybe the lootboxes. I don't know if or when the Foundation reward system will be terminated.

A Kickstarter will launch within the next few months, and one of the backer rewards will be Foundation points.

Pre-alpha access will take Foundation progress into account, but alpha and beta will be only as a direct reward thru Kickstarter.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@gothix said in Is it going to be F2P, B2P or P2W?:

They were pretty up front about it too. Their currency "top up" page had big text "You pay, you win!" for years there. One could have appreciated them at least being honest. 😉

OMG incredible ! 😳 😱 😰

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

just starting to engage in the community and personally i rate there is massive potential for a F2P (within start zones), B2P on expansions and Sub for open world freedom.

@torrenttalon said in Is it going to be F2P, B2P or P2W?:

just starting to engage in the community and personally i rate there is massive potential for a F2P (within start zones), B2P on expansions and Sub for open world freedom.

problem is paid expansions/dlc will separate the community. it sucks being 2-5 expansions/dlc behind and needing to buy them, that 15$ humble bundle just increased to 75 because of the expansions/dlc.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@jetah

i guess so maybe they can follow CCP and opt for a sub based with inclusive expansions i mean it depends on the dev cycle if it's an expansion every couple of years then buying those is required eve online is exceptional in that it has content and balance passes nearly every month now.

@torrenttalon

name 2 games, in the last 5 years, have a mandatory sub that stayed a sub? FFXIV is one so give me 1 more. all recent sub only games have been forced to switch to f2p or a hybrid.

next games will be CU and i'm not sure how SC will work. if CU makes it then it might not be dead.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

well it really only depends on how immersive and 'worthwhile' people think a game is... eve online only went hybrid cause it was going to die otherwise, same with most other games, it's because devs do what they want and work out solutions later.

@torrenttalon

It’s great for brining in new players but you really are required to have a sub to play.

I think it’s more of a demo than a hybrid system.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured