Role play?

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Hello,
    I've read very vivid conversations about game mechanics, balancing, pvp, economy, pve, even more mechanics, data sheets, min maxing, horizontal progression, more mechanics, I win buttons, loot, mechanics again...
    What about role play? Does anyone still role play in twenty eighteen? Or is it all about winning, and making the perfect avatar for the job.

Well, if you do plan to, what would you like to experience in Fractured? Not what, but WHO will your character be?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

It will be a traveling artisan who will be in the guild of merchants to sell his product and distribute it throughout the continent

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@muker my friend, thank you for your timely answer. Will you be fair, will you be greedy? Will you give to charity only to forward your hidden agenda, or will you be helpful to those in need. Will you be brave, or will you sneak behind the unwary? Let us unleash our imagination and create characters with life for it is characters that make the world what it is.

@darian Grind or Die
    ๐Ÿ˜†

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I am Finland one of the Lieutenant of the Black Bull who leads his troops to the lands of Arboreus and Syndesia to eradicate any suspicious activity and prevent any kind of invasion. My favourite hobby is fishing so when I'm out of service I usually move to th lake with some fellows to enjoy some beers and catching up some fishes.

• I truly dont know yet.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Of course, why won't people role play? Some people play online games to experience a life of a completely different character. Immersion is a large part of how many people think about the quality of the game. If people are able to immerse themselves within their character, it means that there is probably a good enough system for them to role play as their character! ๐Ÿ˜„

Problem is that some people consider RP only when you go "deep in character" and use all the "rules" of speech and everything.

Which is kinda "dumb" (to think that way).

I mean, as long as you are playing your character, doing quests, PvP, gather resources, and you are immersed into game enough, you are already RP-ing. You are not doing your RL anymore, you are RP-ing by being immersed in that character in game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix said in Role play?:

Problem is that some people consider RP only when you go "deep in character" and use all the "rules" of speech and everything.
    Which is kinda "dumb" (to think that way).

I find dumb pking but it's my point of view.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Yes, people still roleplay in 2018. Can hardly walk two steps in town in WoW without a draenei trying to suck your orc dong. Expect many bulges to be noticed

@finland

i find it dumb when there's conflict between groups yet there's always some happy place where no combat between them can happen. I don't see a neutral city for every citizen happening.

Role Playing is still around. I almost always make one full RP character, I am going to admit that its not the most played but it is nice to escape the grind and just be fun.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@jetah IRL, it's a whole country, not just a city! Oh and IRL it is forbidden to kill your enemy unless you are in an actual war-zone, and you have orders to kill! For ex, if an Israeli soldier on leave, stumbles upon a Palestinian soldier in a bar or just walking around the streets, he is not allowed to harm him. Just saying. Go back a century, prior to WWI, historical accounts abound about enemy platoons marching by each other during maneuvering in times of war. They would, curse and throw rocks at each other, but not a single gun would be discharged. The march wouldn't even halt. All this, while those soldiers where bound to fight each other, next morning. And yes, I am talking about all out war here! You see, IRL, people are not very fond of killing each other. That's why I generally find pvp without purpose to be plain stupid when you are trying to create an immersive world. If it's just an arena, then yes... it makes sense, and it's fun. But immersive worlds can't have mindless killing. That basically destroys the world you are trying to immerse yourself into. By role play, I don't necessarily mean talking like a Shakespeare fanboy. I mean making decisions as if you where that very character, not an outside god toying with it. I mean, taking into account your character's beliefs, fears, needs and desires, and acting accordingly.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Roleplaying is the reason why I am looking forward to this game. I also chose a demon, instead of putting myself right into the other worlds because that would be too easy, being a demon makes it challenging but no I will admit mostly chose this for how a demon looked and the kind of a character I wanted to put.
    What I would like to experience is, people being able to have their own structures so that I may get in some taverns, tell my tales to those who ask in them as the blood demon bard I am.
    One of the things I want a lot that I have mentioned before -I think- is being able to give my own quests to the players. It's not even that I want others to do the heavy job for me, I want it to be like "Huh this guy wants 40 dead rabbits? Why would he need that? Well, he pays enough to keep my mouth shut" kind of stuff. Doing this with a game mechanic rather than me yelling around. Or maybe someone makes a building and calls it "Beginner Adventurer Quests".
    This is why you sir @Darian are one of the people that I am looking forward to meet in the game world the most. I hope you run that tavern in game too. I will make sure to fund it in any way I can.
    I want to talk to people and learn about the characters they are in the world, and tell their stories to other people in other places with a good tune that I came up with on the way.

• Wiki Editor

@darian said in Role play?:

@jetah ... You see, IRL, people are not very fond of killing each other. That's why I generally find pvp without purpose to be plain stupid when you are trying to create an immersive world. If it's just an arena, then yes... it makes sense, and it's fun. But immersive worlds can't have mindless killing. That basically destroys the world you are trying to immerse yourself into. By role play, I don't necessarily mean talking like a Shakespeare fanboy. I mean making decisions as if you where that very character, not an outside god toying with it. I mean, taking into account your character's beliefs, fears, needs and desires, and acting accordingly.

I want to provide a counterpoint to this in that if this game is allowing Chaotic Evil as an alignment, it is immersive for those players to be killing others for no reasons but their own. I'm not saying it's my thing, but by your definition they are doing what a Chaotic Evil character would do - causing chaos and destruction for no other reason than their own selfish ones.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I wish to Rp too ๐Ÿ˜„ I didn't roleplay a lot, but it's a thing I'd love to do more.Don't know wich story my demon can have, but I have the tie to think about it ๐Ÿ˜›

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@kellewic said in Role play?:

I want to provide a counterpoint to this in that if this game is allowing Chaotic Evil as an alignment, it is immersive for those players to be killing others for no reasons but their own. I'm not saying it's my thing, but by your definition they are doing what a Chaotic Evil character would do - causing chaos and destruction for no other reason than their own selfish ones.

IRL Chaotic Evil in this context would be a serial killer. They're much like PKers - they pick and choose advantageous fights against vulnerable people and are all deluded psychos who think they have some right to do so. And just like you've mentioned, they always have very deeply personal reasons to kill their targets.

Of course, serial killers are hunted down and destroyed. PKers should be the same

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I'll be BECKFAST, and I hope to god there is proximity voice chat.

BECKFAST!

• Wiki Editor

My Character will be inrole where ever she will run, walk, stay, fight, collect, talk and so on.
    Maybe the big roleplay times in online games are over, but we can get it back, if we just want.
    How good the roleplay will be in Fractured we will see, it depends much on the player itself and on the sense of Developing and Moderating the game. I hope for the Fractured world, that the Dev-Team appreciate Roleplayers same as they will do with PVEer and PVPer.

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured