Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix

Definitely! All kinds of weapons, armors and even potions and meals.
    For example, a healing potion name: "Dr Trixs' cure to all" 🙂

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

On the other though...

Gold sellers could just name weapons with a name of their site, and then just spam an item in chat without an ability for chat filter to catch them...

And if weapons could not be renamed, you'd have weapons permanently named as gold seller sites in game world.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Gothix @Kurotora

There is always some danger when giving players a possibility do to something without supervision, especially in naming things. Even character names can be abusive and improper. Gold sellers may use shop name as the character name to try and cheat the chat filter.
    Therefore, would you agree to be able to name your game character using only lists of selectable names?

A possibility of someone misbehaving should not be a valid argument to not introduce some interesting features that give players new ways to be creative :slight_smile:

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Please weapon naming 😄 😄 😄 :dagger:

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

-1 from me, because of the nature I expect of Fractured.

Naming gear doesn't give anything to the game as a whole and will quickly make a farce of the setting. The only weapons I would ever name are "iconic weapons" that should never be removed from my character because they are my character; if my sword is taken and used by somebody else like a generic weapon, which I expect every single weapon in this game can be, then it is not the sword I named it as.

Also, bots will find a way to use it to advertise, and griefers will name their weapons such that even killing and looting them exposes you to hate speech.

It's a frustrating, lore-breaking, idiotic practice with zero benefit that I'd rather not see.

@Dybuk

Therefore, would you agree to be able to name your game character using only lists of selectable names?

Thank you for giving us an incredibly good reason not to have nameable weapons - the ludicrous idea of "MMO for six year olds"-style name sanitizing. I am not about to sacrifice customizing my character who I get to keep, for customizing a weapon which I do not.

@dybuk

can't use characters outside of the alphabet. DS can put certain phrases and words on a ban list so they can't be used. if someone manages to bypass the filter, a player could report said item to get it changed.

@FibS

there are people who Role Play and this gives them something to get immersed. filters can be used while players could report the offending names to get them changed. I see character customization more in the abilities you equip and knowledge you unlock and not how you look.

I'd say that reporting players is quite easy as they can easily be found and forced to rename (they are connected to account).

Even like that it drains resources from gaming company to do so.

Oth the other hand, someone can craft 100 swords and distribute them over the game world. Even if someone reported some other players has sword named censored inappropriate name that sword might have changed hands several time already, who will find it? And might be 100 swords like that PER player.

Tracking ALL those weapons with inappropriate names would be a living hell for the company. 🙂

Tracking players with inappropriate names is child play in comparison.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

there are people who Role Play and this gives them something to get immersed. filters can be used while players could report the offending names to get them changed. I see character customization more in the abilities you equip and knowledge you unlock and not how you look.

Roleplaying needs no support mechanics, and in fact benefits from not having any, because prefabricated systems are by nature limited.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@dybuk said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

@gothix

For example, a healing potion name: "Dr Trixs' cure to all" 🙂

!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@phaethonas said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

@dybuk said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

@gothix
    For example, a healing potion name: "Dr Trixs' cure to all"

We have gone too far, we have dug too deep!

🙂

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

My weapon would be called Scalibur is already decided hahaha

• Wiki Editor

@fibs said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

Roleplaying needs no support mechanics, and in fact benefits from not having any, because prefabricated systems are by nature limited.

Indeed! Roleplay even works with very restricted gamesystems. Because Roleplayers Power is the Speech!

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@phaethonas I really like that idea I already know how I'll call my first sword XDalt text

@fibs said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

yet the very emote system was put in to help RP'ers. costumes, transmog and other means to see pretty gear yet have the stats of bis was also for RP. there are mechanics that help RPing.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I feel like this will either be a really good idea or a really bad idea. There's no in-between.

There's a way to make this work by making it very rare and random; don't let the players name their weapons anytime they want, and instead implement a system where, after a really tough fight, your weapon has a tiny chance to become "Legendary", giving it a random, tiny stat bonus (so tiny it's almost meaningless, just to keep things balanced). One easy way of doing it would be for example by giving it a small chance of triggering when the player has really low HP after a fight (say, ~10%).

That way, it's still mostly a cosmetic thing, but it also comes with a sense of accomplishment, maybe even some bragging rights. Every named weapon you see would have a story behind it. It also makes every legendary weapon close to truly unique, since if the odds to get one are very small, the odds of there being two weapons of the same type with the same stat bonus would be infinitesimal (given that there are enough combinations of course). That way, the weapon is actually "worthy" of a unique name, if that makes sense.

Imagine you're fighting a monster. Maybe it's a lot stronger than you thought, maybe there were too many enemies and you got swarmed. The fight is hard, and you're almost sure you won't make it, when suddenly, right when you're about to run out of health, you manage to land one final hit and the monster dies. You breathe out and relax in front of your keyboard, when you notice you got an in-game notification. It reads, "Congratulations! Your Steel Sword +1 has become Legendary, giving it the following boost: Damage +2.5%! Choose a name for the legendary weapon:" You slowly grin as you read the message, already reaching for the keyboard. You have the perfect name in mind...

And that is the story of how the fabled blade N00bk1LL4, the Scourge of Civilisations was born.

@nelchael

i'm getting tired of the legendary and colored tiers of gear. it isn't really legendary when everyone has one. I much prefer Eve's system (at least when I last looked).

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

yet the very emote system was put in to help RP'ers. costumes, transmog and other means to see pretty gear yet have the stats of bis was also for RP. there are mechanics that help RPing.

Emotes are not a mechanic, nor do they benefit RP in any way - contrarily, I rather think they should be avoided, as they betray that you're unable to express your character in actual writing and look very unprofessional.

Vanity was not "made for RP". Vanity is of interest to every player equally: casual players love to look cool, PVP edgelords love to look cool, and even the developers benefit from vanity systems because it makes it a ton easier to develop good-looking trailers using gameplay footage (which also benefits fan-made videos.)

As an aside, the transmogrification system is an utterly stupid, self-undermining half-step and I despise it. Either let me pick anything I want to display in any of my slots within three seconds or don't bother me.

There's a way to make this work by making it very rare and random; don't let the players name their weapons anytime they want, and instead implement a system where, after a really tough fight, your weapon has a tiny chance to become "Legendary"

I was planning a similar system for my own MMO somewhere 20 years down the line.

I'd decided that weapons in most of our myths were not created legendary, they became legendary by the deeds of their wielders, and therefore your weapon would gain fame as you fought with it.

You would be locked at certain fame tiers until you completed objectives - very similar to how Fractured already handles skills - which would compose the Great Feats attached to the legend of your weapon.

After completing these objectives, you'd be able to reforge your sword thru several tiers, using increasingly mythical items per tier. The new traits and stats of the weapon would depend on which objectives you fulfilled, e.g. if you slayed dragons with it you'd be reforging it into a dragonslaying sword. Eventually, you'd be able to name your mega ultra infinity sword +5000.

At this point the weapon would become loosely bound to you. You could still lose the item, but the game would track it for you to retrieve as a Life Objective. In the event that it was "deleted" (sold to an NPC etc.) the game would keep its data hidden somewhere and would eventually spawn it back for you at another time under some excuse, such as an orc chief suddenly becoming really powerful and when you go fight him he's got your sword and you have to beat him and take it back.

Once your sword became legendary enough, NPCs would begin to know you by the same name as your sword (similarly to samurai).

My game was also going to have prefab'd legendary weapons belonging to story characters. Only one copy of each could exist on the server at a time and if a player owner logged off for a month or something the game would just take it away and make up a dynamic quest about where it ended up. (Also the NPCs would usually try to get their weapons back.)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nelchael

i'm getting tired of the legendary and colored tiers of gear. it isn't really legendary when everyone has one. I much prefer Eve's system (at least when I last looked).

If you need lots of tasks and lots of months to achieve it will be fine. For sure a thing is not legendary when requires just nearly infinite resourced to be crafted. A legendary item is when you need to do task like travel everywhere and haunt everything to get parts to asemble the item. Tasks to merge the items and tansk to fullfill the item with magic. This should take months or maybe a year or more. The number of player achieving it is based on the numebr of nerds around.

Tiers color should be a thing to show that you nerd and/or are you skilled more than others.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@finland said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

This should take months or maybe a year or more.

Absolutely not. That's how much time I should spend making a real legendary sword, not a pretend one.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured