City Suggestion Megathread?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

For some of us, myself included, the player cities/regions are the single most exciting and important aspect of Fractured.

Cities have transformed considerably over the course of Alpha testing, and will likely continue to do so, so there's no way to be certain what features will remain that were once originally promised.

What city-specific features/mechanics/systems do you want included in Fractured by the time of release? And why?

For example...

• Local noticeboards for announcements, updates, requisition orders, advertisements, etc. posted by the government and city residents. Discord and Guilded will always be used, but we should try to keep player eyes and attention in the game as much as possible. Including this functionality will be extremely helpful and immersive.

• NPC guards and vendors. Player citizens and residents should have to do the lion's share of the work, but NPC guards and residents would help meaningfully supplement the civic aspects of city life. The guards and vendors shouldn't be as effective as player guards and merchants, but they'll do in a pinch!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Yes, its all about choice. Build a ''npc house'' and get a ''npc'' so you can hire as a guard or vendor and pay a upkeep.

• A rather crazy idea, but it would be fun to at least try it: How about allowing the cities to place outposts/camps outside the city zones but inside the zone of influence of the city? Some remarks and possible features of this system are as follows:

• There should a limited number of buildings placed outside the city zone.
    • Buildings should not be placed inside POIs.
    • Types of building to be placed will be determined by the tech tree of the city.
    • These buildings can be protected by players/NPC guards and neighboring cities are allowed to capture those outposts/camps.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

This post is deleted!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Clinion That would be very cool.

Good idea to start this thread, @Alexian! I agree with both your bullet points, and want to add

• a market open to all players in each city once minimum requirements are met for city bldgs necessary to call a place a 'town' (e.g., city hall, tavern, central storage)

• meaningful rewards for cropworkers since they make possible the needful upkeep of the city. I don't mind that the 'fighter-folk' can skate on the work done by a few hearty souls who aren't as into mayhem; I just think there should be KP, transferable Skills, or some other reward that makes the grunt & grind of the granary worthwhile

@Clinion said in City Suggestion Megathread?:

A rather crazy idea, but it would be fun to at least try it: How about allowing the cities to place outposts/camps outside the city zones but inside the zone of influence of the city? Some remarks and possible features of this system are as follows:

• There should a limited number of buildings placed outside the city zone.
    • Buildings should not be placed inside POIs.
    • Types of building to be placed will be determined by the tech tree of the city.
    • These buildings can be protected by players/NPC guards and neighboring cities are allowed to capture those outposts/camps.

I want to second this suggestion! The way cities are set up, it makes sense for smaller guilds to band together in maintaining/upgrading them, but it would be cool if the different alliances could create their own 'suburbs' where specialization could flourish.

I would really like to see npc shops/auction houses that you can just load items into. I do not want to peddle my wares as a vendor in person. That is a huge waste of time plus chat spam from this is horrid. I would like these to be easily maintained so that I can relist unsold items with the click of a button.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@Farlander
    Why not just encourage other players who like trading to do so by giving them your excess in exchange for a cut?
    Or even better, have them be part of your guild and have the resources be divided to those who need it with excess getting traded by the players that like to do that? That way when you need a reagent or material it might be on hand as another guild mate donated it, or you just add it to the 'want' list and when the traders make their rounds to the neighboring markets, they keep an eye out for that material and get it for you.
    Trading is an aspect of games that is valued and enjoyed by many players - see any truck driver simulator concept or econ trading sim-
    It is simpler and healthier for the game to allow these players to have their fun and provide their support than to create whole AI systems to cut them out.
    Bonus- because the markets are not linked and require physical presence to place or collect orders, and items take up limited space, there is little concern of some one manipulating the markets for their homogentisic and capitalistic ends.

• As many people discussed in some other threads, the testing plan was not optimal and usually unnecessarily long with limited amount of content. Also the available content was not appealing to everybody, so people got bored very quickly and the world became empty in a very short time. Some people suggested shorter test intervals which provides all previous content directly to tester and leaves only the newly added parts for tester to test. This is a possible and a good solution in my opinion. However, some people like me might want long test periods as we like to play the game for a longer period of time while testing all possible aspects. The main demotivator here is the lack of "continuous" content.

Long story short, I have a proposal for future tests that might attract different types of players while providing relatively more "continuous" content.

This new magical idea is not my own but from a game called Ashes of Creation(AoC). The system in that game is called "caravan system" and I think, if implemented with slight variations, it would be a very nice addition to Fractured. Here is how it goes:

• Citizens within cities which have researched a trading tech has the option to create a "city caravan".
    • City caravan is a bigger version of the normal wagon and has the ability to carry both heavy and normal materials in large amounts.
    • City caravan should be either directly rentable by gold or a craftable tool like wagon.
      (So far this is a system for trading, crafting and maybe mob grinding oriented(PvE) players; but here comes the twist)
    • The city caravan can only be driven by Neutral players.
    • The caravan also has a health pool(like a horse) and when destroyed, all the items inside will be lootable by everyone.

I believe this system will attract both PvE and PvP oriented players while providing a continuous content. I also would like to hear your opinions 🙂

• Content Creator

@OlivePit

Not only does OlivePit have the right of it here in regards to how to handle such excess trading in a Guild/Group effort, it is also in line what the devs seem to want, as one thing they are pretty adamant about is not having any automated systems of set it and forget it going on. Automatic NPC vendors lessens their goal of making players drive the entire economy by having to handle the buying, selling, and moving of goods from place to place themselves. Either you do it yourself, you have a Guildy handle it, or you sell it in a bulk price to another player who then goes on to move it and sell in smaller batches to make a profit.

@GamerSeuss Not having automated vendors will kill commerce for me. I normally play at a time when most players are not online. I definitely don't want to be online trying to peddle my wares. Every mmo I have played has had some kind of market system. SWG had vendors and auction terminals. Even your vendor could be searched so you could locate them making your wares globally advertised. UO had vendors you could sell your items in. Getting customers to them was harder but with quick travel via runes you could bring them right to your vendor. SWTOR has one auction terminal for the entire galaxy. That was my favorite commerce system because if you wanted to buy something you simply went to the terminal and found the item you wanted that anyone was selling.

The idea of having to travel to every city to see who might be selling items on the streets at the exact time I'm playing is a concept that I don't want anything to do with.

• Content Creator

@Farlander If your a member of a city, you'll still be able to use the city's Marketplace to sell a small amount of loaded items, that should be enough for most people. The point here is to NOT automate as much as possible. If you want to be making/selling items, then you gotta put the time in to market them, or subcontract someone else to do it, or join a city and just load your stuff in the city marketplace as your only option.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Even if you are not a member of a city you can sell your items to the city market (if there is a standing buy order) or place the items up for sale and let them be bought when you are not there by others.
    Effort in, result out.
    The more effort you put into the system the more result you will get out.
    You dont want to put any effort into the game mechanic so you wont get much out.
    There is no free lunch, and nither should there be for any aspect else every player will be complaining for their free lunch ' i dont wana have to fight mobs for loots, xp, etc... Just give me a vendor which gives it to me'..

@Farlander "The idea of having to travel to every city to see who might be selling items on the streets at the exact time I'm playing" is what will make the economy works cause people will buy low and sell hight as a play style.

@Vollmond That statement contradicts itself. How is someone going to sell high if players are buying low? If sellers can't make it worth their time they have to spend to physically sit on a virtual street corner trying to sell their wares they just won't sell stuff to other players. I can already say now for myself who has been a dedicated crafter in every mmo I have played I won't be doing it.

@Farlander "How is someone going to sell high if players are buying low?"

Cause every market will have a price. You will buy low in one market and sell high in other. Like real life.

• Content Creator

@Vollmond

This exactly...

In areas where Tin mines are common, for instance, items made from Tin will be a lot cheaper, however, if you travel 30 mins or more from that area before attempting to sell your Tin items, you should be able to make a tidy profit by selling at a higher price.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Farlander, I support the ability to hire NPC or player merchants to sell your goods, perhaps for a convenience fee.

@Clinion said in City Suggestion Megathread?:

As many people discussed in some other threads, the testing plan was not optimal and usually unnecessarily long with limited amount of content. Also the available content was not appealing to everybody, so people got bored very quickly and the world became empty in a very short time. Some people suggested shorter test intervals which provides all previous content directly to tester and leaves only the newly added parts for tester to test. This is a possible and a good solution in my opinion. However, some people like me might want long test periods as we like to play the game for a longer period of time while testing all possible aspects. The main demotivator here is the lack of "continuous" content.

Long story short, I have a proposal for future tests that might attract different types of players while providing relatively more "continuous" content.

This new magical idea is not my own but from a game called Ashes of Creation(AoC). The system in that game is called "caravan system" and I think, if implemented with slight variations, it would be a very nice addition to Fractured. Here is how it goes:

• Citizens within cities which have researched a trading tech has the option to create a "city caravan".
    • City caravan is a bigger version of the normal wagon and has the ability to carry both heavy and normal materials in large amounts.
    • City caravan should be either directly rentable by gold or a craftable tool like wagon.
      (So far this is a system for trading, crafting and maybe mob grinding oriented(PvE) players; but here comes the twist)
    • The city caravan can only be driven by Neutral players.
    • The caravan also has a health pool(like a horse) and when destroyed, all the items inside will be lootable by everyone.

I believe this system will attract both PvE and PvP oriented players while providing a continuous content. I also would like to hear your opinions 🙂

I also encourage Fractured to implement caravan events a la AoC. It generates content for cities, merchants, and criminals. Great suggestion!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured