Loot vs. Skill

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

When it comes down to it skill is always a factor in any game. The real question will loot and its levels be just as important? I would say a game such as Diablo requires equal parts skill and gear to be effective. Other games such as WoW you can say that gear not skill opens more doors... definitely closes them if your gear is poor. How will this game treat gear? Will higher level skills be more rare than unique weapons? The original vanilla EverQuest you needed to kill world dragons to get top level spells. Would you like to see stuff like this?

There are no levels in the game. You only have somewhat different rarity in certain itens. And according to what we know, gear will all be crafted, but easily crafted, not hard to get, so the main decisive factor in the game really is player skill 🙂

• Community Manager

As @Frost already mentioned, there are no levels in the game and all gear is crafted. In addition to that, as you can only use a limited amount of abilities in your build, your success will very much be determined by how skilled you are at building a viable build. In addition to that, all attacks are skillshots, meaning you'll have to manually target and dodge attacks.

@specter all abilities are skillshot?

Did i overread it or is this something new? * _ *

• Community Manager

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@specter I am pretty sure there are some skills that are not "technically" skill shots as pressing them would be sort of like getting a buff on yourself right? Or maybe something like summon 3 wolves to help you in battle (in which case you can just press the skill. While I have played pure skill shot games, there are always certain skills like this which actually allows the player a momentary respite to think about his next move/strategy, which usually adds to the depth of the gameplay.

• Community Manager

@chrightt That's a good point. I shall ask Prometheus for a clarification.

I would still think that spells will have levels if not fireball 1, 2, 3, then Spark, Ember, Fireball if you see what I am saying. If there is nothing to strive for, something empowering, then it will be difficult to hook players. I get that skill is a player here and I am glad to hear it, without seeing exactly how that plays out ...

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@mazikar Personally I don't think skills necessarily need to have skill levels to make the game interesting. Often games depend on level progression for skill points to unlock skills. It would make sense for a simpler skill, for example a fireball, to become obsolete because the character can learn something like "conflagration", which might have a higher mana/dmg ratio. But obviously, everything rests on the developers to balance the skills and make their own "skill system".

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@mazikar said in Loot vs. Skill:

I would still think that spells will have levels if not fireball 1, 2, 3, then Spark, Ember, Fireball if you see what I am saying. If there is nothing to strive for, something empowering, then it will be difficult to hook players. I get that skill is a player here and I am glad to hear it, without seeing exactly how that plays out ...

I'm pretty sure your skill tree lvl will just have it to where as you lvl up you get this spell and how well you can preform it. Example: your lvl 30 and you can cast lighting bolt but at lvl 40 you will not fail at this spell

• DymStudios - CEO

@chrightt you're right, saying "all abilities are skill shots" was quite misleading from my side. Of course there are several abilities that have an immediate effect on yourself or your target, (some) summons are indeed a good example. Nonetheless, compared to a MOBA like LoL or Dota, way more abilities in Fractured require aiming and can therefore be dodged / countered :slight_smile:

@Mazikar you got it right. Yes, you can level up each ability you've learnt, 2-4 times. Leveling up an ability doesn't make it enormously more powerful - that would break the design pillar of new players being competitive from day 1. Still, it's a nice little improvement, and you'll have to choose what to prioritize along your way, without forgetting that eventually you'll be able to learn and max out all the abilities existing in the game. That being said, learning new abilities and improving them is not the only type of progression in the game, but I'm stopping here for now 😉

I'm aware the Knowledge System as a whole might be still quite obscure to you guys. It will be covered in detail in one of the future Feature Spotlights which I'm sure will satisfy you!

@Aries you're hinting to a skill system like that of Ultima Online - probably due to our previous work on Linkrealms. There's no such a thing in Fractured :slight_smile:

@prometheus Cool! Thanks for shedding some light on that! Every little morsel makes me hungry to find more 😀

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@prometheus hey I was going off past work from my experience with you guys. You never really elaborated other wise or that I missed it which might be the case heh

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured