Non-Forum Players

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I am sure there are some already, and there definitely will be when the game is finished, that is; players that simply play the game and have no discord, forum etc. interaction.
    Will there be any in-game features to allow non-direct communication between players; such as requesting guild membership when members of that guild are offline, communication between players that are online at different times, etc.

• Content Creator

goddess I hope not!

One of the selling points of this game is you can't just easily walk your way through stuff like that. Most Guilds if they are big enough will have their own Discord, Webpage, Facebook Group, etc... for recruiting, and they can make arrangements to meet up in game...but it should ALWAYS require meeting up in game in my honest opinion.

@Mirgannel12 said in Non-Forum Players:

I am sure there are some already, and there definitely will be when the game is finished, that is; players that simply play the game and have no discord, forum etc. interaction.
    Will there be any in-game features to allow non-direct communication between players; such as requesting guild membership when members of that guild are offline, communication between players that are online at different times, etc.

I always wondered why guilds would let other people in without having at least some kind of communication first. You can hardly define that as a Guild playing together, rather a group of random people shopping in the same mall. On a good day they say hi and goodbye to eachother. On a bad day they just walk by.

I am not sure if there will even be a mail system. Althought that would feel right and could fix the "communication between players that are online at different times".

Player cities could get 'billboards' for advertising and guildhalls for applications, meetings and the like. That way you'd still have the requirement of local meeting in-game, but get the addition of a possible complete in-game recruiting without having to go 'out of character'.

• Wiki Editor

At least there should be more chat options ingame:
    Direct Whisper - maybe restricted to an area like the local chat.
    Town Chat - also restricted to the controlled area.

@Kralith said in Non-Forum Players:

At least there should be more chat options ingame:
    Direct Whisper - maybe restricted to an area like the local chat.
    Town Chat - also restricted to the controlled area.

I think it would make more sense to call town chat 'Citizen Chat'

• Wiki Editor

@Xzait however it is called, it should exist. 😉

I guess, and I'm not saying that guilds would let randoms in un-checked, but, particularly with a small guild, if the members of that guild aren't on very often, and all at more or less the same time, then firstly, they have zero recruiting power with non-forum players, because they would have to be seen by prospective members, and secondly a player wanting to join them would have to wait and hope that they came on at the same time. I mean, there isn't even a chat 'log' is there?

my point is; there is zero in-game communication between players that log in at different times, and in an online game like this any group of players, city, guild whatever, that intend to protect a community need to have players on, ideally a substantial amount at all times.

What about Guild Halls?

• Content Creator

1. Guild Halls have been mentioned, we'll see on that.
    2. Small guilds are more about groups of friends joining up together than randomly just joining a guild. If you want to make a non-group of friends, growth by recruitment guild, then you need to invest the time/effort in a Webpage, Discord Server, Facebook Group, and join the Guild Recruitment forums.

In other words, your worried about something that truly isn't a worry. Smaller guilds aren't really about just recruiting people, and most people don't want to just randomly join a smaller guild, they want to join by seeing a member of that guild in action and liking how they play...so then they ask that player how to join their guild.

Are we talking big guilds (they use the recruitment tools out there) or little friendship guilds (usually not openly recruiting really anyway, and when they are ready to do so, then they use the tools too)

Very well put @GamerSeuss !!! Small guilds don't always want a large influx of players to grow larger. In fact, the Guild i run, The Moonshadow Dryads, is planned to remain small (20-30 members total).
    Your concerns, @Mirgannel12 are understandable though. But like GamerSeuss said, small guilds are usually a tight-knit community sorta deal, or they are a group of sometimes even real life friends playing together. A lot of the time, even small guilds have their own discord servers too, to help with communications to keep in touch, set up parties, make small events, do city planning, organise stuff with allies, diplomacy... the list goes on. Some guilds, I am sure, will only accept players willing to join their discords, as a result.

You seem to be concerned that it's almost impossible for players to join new guilds or become citizens as well. In smaller guilds especially, I wouldn't be surprised if there were many Vice-Governors than can accept new citizens, or officers in guilds to add new members. As counter intuitive as it sounds, in smaller communities, everyone knows everyone so well, that everyone can be trusted to be responsible with a higher role. In a guild of say 400, there will likely be a lot of players you don't know personally, and there is a higher risk of spies or internal griefers being present without anyone knowing.

That said, assuming most small guilds are similar to mine in that aspect, there is more than just 1 or 2 people able to invite other citizens/guild members in smaller communities. They are possibly more cautious as well though, as getting even just 1 griefer can immensely disrupt the effort the entire guild or even collection of guilds, has put in! Not that it wouldn't be a problem for even a larger guild. It would still pose an issue, just theoretically not as big of one. However, in a larger guild, they would certainly be harder to find, to weed out. So it could arguably be a bigger problem!

When someone applies to a city as well, the application will remain there until either the player that lodged it, deletes it, or a Governor/Vice-governor either accepts it, or deletes it. So offline time, isn't a problem. The only potential problem is getting in contact with the guild and becoming part of it, before they might be willing to accept you as a citizen.

By small guilds, I mean guilds that are small, but want to become bigger, and I am emphasising in-game aspects because I personally and I'm sure others, don't want to use out-of-game applications, forums etc. when playing; when I play a game I want to play the game and not keep going to other pages, and even discord is a little too 'extra-experience' for me.

As to having players that aren't friends, or known to other players, that is kind of the purpose of my guild: I am trying to create a guild, and a city, in fact the guild is less important than the city, where anyone, and unlike it seems when most guilds say 'anyone' I actually mean ANYONE, I don't care who they are, can join and be a part of to what ever degree they like; if they only want to use the crafting stations, that's fine, if they want to build the city and increase it's rank, that's fine too.
    I hope that players, merely by being granted that unqualified access, and the fact that they will be surrounded by other players, will keep them doing the right thing by everyone else, but if it doesn't, so what? I can boot them, they can be sent to jail, whatever.
    But until they prove themselves unworthy, they can be part of it.
    Besides, many hands make light work 🙂

@Xzait citizen application is one thing, once you have a city, unlike previously, but even getting a city can't be done like that, nor can guild recruitment.
    I'm referring to that last paragraph btw

@GamerSeuss some (currently) small guilds ARE really just about recruiting people 😛 and some people DO want to randomly join a smaller guild, precisely because, if they are looing for members they might have a less strict 'screening' process.
    I agree that people tend to join a guild they have seen act in a way they like, but when everyone is just running around, and you don't have enough members to claim a city, what are the chances that anyone will see much more than your name as you run past? which is another thing, you kind of have to chase them down and wait until they stop to even get a chance at reading their name, let alone their guild name 😕

• Content Creator

Don't have an answer for you there Mirgannel12, really, the off-line Discord/Webpage/Facebook groups take the place of a Guild recruitment hall, and you still need to be met in person to make the final entry into a guild, in-game.

If they add Guild Recruitment Halls, or Bulletin Boards in game, that will be another option. Otherwise, there should NOT be a way to join blindly, even if some might want to do just that, it ruins the whole feel of the game. You say going out of game feels like it's breaking immersion, well to the rest of us, blindly recruiting like that breaks the immersion feel and is a bit too gamey for our tastes.

@Mirgannel12 said in Non-Forum Players:

By small guilds, I mean guilds that are small, but want to become bigger, and I am emphasising in-game aspects because I personally and I'm sure others, don't want to use out-of-game applications, forums etc. when playing; when I play a game I want to play the game and not keep going to other pages, and even discord is a little too 'extra-experience' for me.

As to having players that aren't friends, or known to other players, that is kind of the purpose of my guild: I am trying to create a guild, and a city, in fact the guild is less important than the city, where anyone, and unlike it seems when most guilds say 'anyone' I actually mean ANYONE, I don't care who they are, can join and be a part of to what ever degree they like; if they only want to use the crafting stations, that's fine, if they want to build the city and increase it's rank, that's fine too.
    I hope that players, merely by being granted that unqualified access, and the fact that they will be surrounded by other players, will keep them doing the right thing by everyone else, but if it doesn't, so what? I can boot them, they can be sent to jail, whatever.
    But until they prove themselves unworthy, they can be part of it.
    Besides, many hands make light work 🙂

This doesn't sounds at all like a guild, in my own personal opinion. I believe a guild is a collective of players that work together to achieve goals as a group. I wouldn't call a bunch of rando's living in a single town that don't know who each other are, a guild. They are just merely citizens of the same town.

I guess I'm more used to singleplayer RPG's, and guilds composed of NPC's, but i've always liked the idea, and I believe it is closer to the traditional concept of a guild, than to modern MMORPG guilds, that is; guilds that have headquarters all over the country/world, members are welcome in any hall, no matter where, simply because they are a guild-fellow.
    You don't need to know them, you don't need to be friends with them; they are a member of the guild, that's enough.

I have actually (thanks to the new city claiming system 😛 ) been thinking of doing exactly this; a guild whose members are spread across the three worlds, who dwell in every city, are members of every race, united under one banner.
    A guild without a home, no city shares their name, but members aid each other when in need, no matter race or allignment.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured