Winter Alpha Spotlight – City Overhaul

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Prometheus thx a lot for clarification! Looking forward to the progress and can't wait for Arboreus. 💃

Cheers Lil

My gut take was very much along the lines of @WaterMerchant (ie., time for a break until Arboreus is functional). Then I got to thinking....

All the toons and loot created in these tests is wiped at the end of the test. The test is to TEST new functional content, and the devs decide what order functional content gets added. Everything I learn now will help me avoid fatal mistakes when my toons are 'for realz'

@LilCassiopeia & I are both grateful & heartened that Arboreus will come soon! Meanwhile, all those hardcore gankers and PKs will probably need some help with city upkeep, right? Maybe even with crafting for their new trading systems?

Maybe I will enjoy this, maybe I won't, but I'm game to try it out. The point is to test the content, and I'll do my best to help with that. For purposes of this test it definitely looks like tucking myself under the wing of a strong PvP alliance would be smart. I haven't seen my Meridian peeps in a while, so....

👀 Oran-Thul? Shadow Empire? pm if you want a loyal farmer/crafter/reagent gatherer 👩‍🌾

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Prometheus solid changes, looking forward to the progress 🙂

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

My questions:

• With these changes, exactly how much control would a governor be able to have over a territory, including residential areas? Are the residential areas pretty much "free" from any permissions control, except for a possible tax rate? Would a governor be able to allow or deny someone's claim to the residential area plot, just like a city personal plot?
    • The cities and personal plots being "safe spots from PvP." Will this also be the case on Tartaros, the full-loot PvP planet? Because that would be absolutely miserable. Keep in mind. I am not talking about Arboreus, or Syndesia, where sometimes people would want to pvp and sometimes they wouldn't. I am talking about Tartaros, a planet where everyone who chooses to play there is already wanting full loot PVP 24/7. Knowing the "competitive attitude" that will arise there, not being able to fight enemies in your own city would be a complete and utter nightmare. Can you imagine the toxicity that would go on in Local chat? Please tell us that Tartaros will have different rules, and if so, then what will it be like?

My Feedback:

• Yes I understand there are solo players, and there are group players, and that MMOs will include both. That's not the argument here. I highly disagree with the city's crafting stations just being open to all to use. It needs to have permission settings that can be controlled by a governor. I've outlined a few examples of why in another thread, that I will just copy and paste here.

A city that chooses to be citizens-only needs to make sure that they continuously work on their city's upkeep in order to enjoy the benefits of ranking up. If they do not have the required amount of citizens (and people don't want to settle in their residential areas because they are unfriendly), then it is their own choice. They would have to recruit more players in order to rank up their city. But then they would also be able to feel more secure and accomplished in their city, because they are the ones directly benefitting from their own work/efforts. They know that they are responsible for the defending of their cities against siege/raids as well.

If a governor chooses to be an open city, then they can also choose to be welcoming to all and try to build up a good environment in their territory, so that "solo" players will want to settle near them and contribute to their territory. Since the outer residential areas aren't affected by city conquest, what incentive is there for an outside resident to help protect their nearby city? If the controlling governor is the one who sets whether the city is open or closed, then this would also lead to the "solo players" having an interest in helping to protect this territory, since it is a governor who supports the playstyle they want. If the governor changes the permissions on them, the residents should be able to leave and go elsewhere.

• Right now with what we've been shown in the video, it looks like a hardworking group will take the time and effort to build up a city, and then others who don't want to put in the same time and effort can just join in on the benefits without any of the possible disadvantages like losing the city. Are we just not getting the full picture? Please explain what you plan to do to prevent leeching.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Q:
    Can a guild control more than 1 city, or would a shell guild be required?

@PeachMcD see what i mean? big well known guilds always get the members 😜 🙂

@Mirgannel12 said :

@PeachMcD see what i mean? big well known guilds always get the members 😜 🙂

No 💩 ! You mean marketing and economies of scale are a THING? When did that happen? 😘

But seriously, pal... I just grabbed two well-known names. Who are you repping for? my dm's are open.

@Jignutz said in Winter Alpha Spotlight – City Overhaul:

ild control more than 1 city, or would a shell guild b

guilds do not control cities, Governors do. And governors can be a part of whatever guild they choose to be. So, yes... multiple governors of multiple cities may all be in the same guild.

@Prometheus i seen the Q&A and i think there is some issue.
    in the last test the advantage of a big guild vs solo/small was 100% to 0%, there was nothing to do as a small/solo.
    the change you shown in the video change the advantage 40% to 60% for big guild vs solo/small.
    and now in the Q&A you changed it back to 80% to 20% big guild vs solo/small.
    the main issue is that there is no incentive for big guilds to want the solo play to be in the area, they can force them to join the guild by bulling them and kill them, and make sure they can't do nothing without paying high tax.
    its how it working in AO.
    you need to make sure the big guild will want the solo small players to be in this area, maybe connect the amount of players that live around the city to the research available to the city, so if you want asshole and grief solo players as a guild you will pay for it in your technological advances.

• DymStudios - CEO

@grofire said in Winter Alpha Spotlight – City Overhaul:

maybe connect the amount of players that live around the city to the research available to the city

That's exactly how it works - ranking up a city no longer requires citizens but residents, that is, claimed land parcels in the whole region 🙂

@Prometheus cool, then i have no issue with this 🙂

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured