Panning Camera

• Content Creator

Hey guys!

So I began thinking about the limitations of isometric games when it comes to your camera and restricted view.

I made a video to explain exactly what my suggestion is. Please take 3 minutes to watch the video and contribute to the discussion. Thanks!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/812907898

Note: Players with ultrawide monitors have a MAJOR advantage in Fractured already. This would help reduce that advantage.

• Content Creator

The other option would be to be able to rotate your camera view, so instead of always having North as the top of the screen, you can face other directions, by rotating your camera, so that you have the furthest view to the front of your character. Many games use a rotating camera feature and it wouldn't screw up isometric play at all.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

True that a lot of isometric games have a rotating camera. But in my opinion fractured doesn't need that because if they add that in they might as well add WASD movement and at that point just make it regular third person mmorpg. Also I really never use the rotating camera in isometric game because it causes me to be disoriented. A panning camera allows me to keep my bearings.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

One of the issue's I see with this is about the mages and archers that will have a huge advantage, where they will be able to attack from even further away and at the same time people that have the higher grounds will always have the ability to spot the ones lower first (if you coming from East to West they will see the head first, if from West to East the feet's).
    In my perspective, people will have to study there tactics and take all that in mind when doing it.

GamerSeuss said it very well and it would be a nice addiction to the game, being able to rotate where the top of the screen could be North, East, South or West with the press of a key.

• Content Creator

@Extreminador said in Panning Camera:

One of the issue's I see with this is about the mages and archers that will have a huge advantage, where they will be able to attack from even further away and at the same time people that have the higher grounds will always have the ability to spot the ones lower first (if you coming from East to West they will see the head first, if from West to East the feet's).
    In my perspective, people will have to study there tactics and take all that in mind when doing it.
    GamerSeuss said it very well and it would be a nice addiction to the game, being able to rotate where the top of the screen could be North, East, South or West with the press of a key.

So I disagree with the advantage thing for ranged and casters. The reason being, gap closers, pulls, teleports, etc.

Melee players can still use leap slams and such further away because of the camera adjustment. Additionally putting range limits on skills is already a thing in the game, some adjustments to them may be needed if this system is ever implements.

Additionally I disagree with rotating cameras. They become a nuisance to manage mid combat, constantly rotating cameras to check various directions. Moving a mouse over to a corner of a screen is MUCH more user friendly.

Note: Players with ultrawide monitors have a MAJOR advantage in Fractured already. This would help reduce that advantage.

• Content Creator

As to the characters on higher ground having advantage, that actually pans out in combat strategy anyway. Generally speaking, in real life, if you hold the elevated land, you have an advantage over those beneath you. You have a longer field of view, and an easier time doing ranged-based damage. Also, if able to melee from high ground to low ground, like with a long spear/halberd or other polearm, you definitely hold the upper hand.

Regardless, I still like the idea of a rotating camera. Sure, it might be a little extra to think about during combat, however, 1. It's realistic, as a character can change their orientation in real life, why not in game, and 2. It is a fairly standard practice in games out there, so even without using the keyboard nav buttons, just using the left and right arrow keys to roll clockwise/counterclockwise would be a big help.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I never realized how much I wanted a rotating camera on fractured until I tried a game out yesterday that is a spitting image of fractured. There you can rotate 360 degrees and its glorious. I definitely think they should incorporate it here.

• Content Creator

@Esoba said in Panning Camera:

I never realized how much I wanted a rotating camera on fractured until I tried a game out yesterday that is a spitting image of fractured. There you can rotate 360 degrees and its glorious. I definitely think they should incorporate it here.

One thing I really hate about rotating cameras is "Hey guys go north" and half the players have the camera oriented the other way. It takes some getting used to lol.

• Wiki Editor

@Nekrage said in Panning Camera:

"Hey guys go north"

It is already a pain to decribe directions, since north/south is not up/down and west/east is not left/right, because the ingame map got turned to the side for 45° to fit the Minimap.

Your example with that wider view, when you mouse out on the edges, is a quite nice one.

Often i get problems to see creatures and if i see them, they already are in aggro range.
    At the moment the Legends are such a thing. I was looking for their shadows, just not to step to close to them.
    Others did not and just pulled them too early.

I guess such a "spy-mode" would make the overview way better.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured