How do the devs stand against modding?

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Would you guys see UI enhancements/ visual things able to be done?

Or do people have propositions for this kinda stuff?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Talox

i'm for developer released API that allows people to change the UI within those API boundaries. WoW is a great example of API (LUA iirc) but i do believe it went a little overboard with some mods.

• Wiki Editor

At this point I'd settle for being able to change keyboard shortcuts 🙂

"Problem" with wow mods is that they allow for data communication between each player using them, and between mod servers on the web.

Depending on mod, this communication can grow quite extensive, and start to create pressure on wow server performance.

Which is exactly why Blizzard started to make some modification with recent hotfixes, allowing players to see some game data directly, so addons don't have to use heavy data communication between players, thus reducing pressure on servers.

Example is threat addon. Threat was hidden from players, so addons were made that read all player actions, calculate threat locally for player, then transfer info about players threat to entire raid, so everyone can see each others thret.

Another example is Nova Buffs addon, that monitors when Onyxia / Nefarian world buffs drop then communicate globally between each player using an addon, sending the info to everyone so all see cooldown timers.

Add all existing addons together, and number of players using them, this creates heavy pressure on game servers, and reduce it's performance.

This is why I'm in favor of game showing this info directly, rather then players requireing mods for that, which will in turn ruin the server performance.

I personally am against mods in full loot games since you're pretty much forced to have them if they give you a slight advantage. I just want a good fully moveable ui provided by the game itself without the need of any addons.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I'm also against modding, it starts becoming a slippery slope where some mods will do too much and become "necessary" for features like pvp or else those who don't have it are at a disadvantage and etc.

Just have a good UI in game innately and eliminate the potential mess with modding.

@Gothix

that was because of the immaturity of the system.

right now i'd like the option to rearrange the UI or add additional information to tooltips. personally i'm not for making dps meters, auction mods, etc.

@Harleyyelrah said in How do the devs stand against modding?:

I'm also against modding, it starts becoming a slippery slope where some mods will do too much and become "necessary" for features like pvp or else those who don't have it are at a disadvantage and etc.

Just have a good UI in game innately and eliminate the potential mess with modding.

i mean. if the API doesn't offer that advantage then it wont exist as a mod!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured