Various damage types vs immunities

• So far in PvE there are planned enemies with immunity to at least one damage type (and I hope immunities will not make it into PVP), so physical damage fighters will probably get some kind of "enchant" to their weapons that will convert some kind of damage to different (like in Path of Exile), assassins will have poisons and possibility to do pure damage and casters can use different elements.

So to question: will all damage caused by weapon be classified as physical ( i mean pure damage from Concussive Strike isn´t stated as blunt nor physical, but is applied by physical mean and by blunt weapons. Same with Strike wounds - stabbing weapon.

And what about Bleeding damage - it it considered physical damage or own damage type (like in Grim Dawn). If damage from Eviscerate and Bleeding strike scales from weapon is it considered physical damage or pure damage or some kind of straight % hp removal? And if bleeds are physical, which armour reduces it - does it depend on weapon that caused bleeding (piercing/slashing)?

Also - will all damage types be available to all archetypes (aka bleeding damage attacks as Spell abilities for casters etc.)? Or will physical damage be mostly available to warfare, assassination and hunting? And will all damage types be available for all Attributes (bleeding scaling not only from PEN and CON but also others)?

Thank you

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I personally don't like 100% reduction for a type. I'd prefer the cap at 99% myself.

• Wiki Editor

@asspirin
    They won't make such a difference between PVE and PVP. If you are able to have immunity in PVE you have in PVP as well.
    It is planned to have enchants which allow you have non-physical damage on weapon https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/10880/physical-immune-enemies-should-be-removed/33?_=1591967681883
    Any melee or bow weapon can use poison (weak, simple ,strong) and there are abilities which work with poison (Poisoning Strike)
    There are already skills that can deal pure damage: Assassinate, Shadow Dance, Strike Wounds, Concussive Strike
    Bleeding seems to be pure damage.
    It looks like damage types will be available to all archetypes. You already have planes for enchants which allows fighters have non-physical damage and spells which have physical damage like Earthquake, which deals Crush damage.
    I hope this helped a bit.

99% is still too much imho.

Various other MMOs tend to hard cap things at 75% and one can reach that one particular cap only when minmaxing in that direction, while his other stats suffer.

Normally soft caps engage at 35-40%.

@Gothix said in Various damage types vs immunities:

99% is still too much imho.

Various other MMOs tend to hard cap things at 75% and one can reach that one particular cap only when minmaxing in that direction, while his other stats suffer.

Normally soft caps engage at 35-40%.

Depending on the amount of variety they allow us for doing damage, I would be fine with a non-generic 100% damage resistance (Ie. Magic and Physical would be completely out, but Fire, Ice, Electrical, Poisoning, Bleeding, Bludgeoning, Slashing, Piercing would be fine) with the major of those non-generic resistances being the hardest and more complicated to build up. So in basic, a mixture of systems where for the most part the majors are soft capped at 40% and only the higher percentages achievable by crippling yourself in other areas while the lesser resistances (ie. bleeding, poisoning) can achieve 100% without crippling too much, though still it would need to take effort and reduce availability to do so.

• @GorTavaro said in Various damage types vs immunities:

They won't make such a difference between PVE and PVP. If you are able to have immunity in PVE you have in PVP as well.

I know it, I just hope immunities will be somewhat tweaked, because immunities in PVE mean either impossible fights (oh, no, they´re immune to my damage) or trivial fights (lol, im immune to their damage) - nothing between. But i dont care about pve, I can always make a camp to turn impossible fight to trivial one, problem is pvp. If immunities are involved in PvP, there is no pvp.
    Maybe make it like "fire immunity aura turns you immune for 3 secs and then is off for 6secs" or something like it, but permanent immunity? Cmon.

Bleeding seems to be pure damage.

Yep, but we´re not sure. We don´t evenknow how the damage is counted - from attribute like Concussive strike? From weapon damage? If it´s counted from weapon how spell damage for such damage type would be counted?

Oh boy, Im so looking forward to some kind of talent/skill/abilities calculator 🙂

• Wiki Editor

@asspirin
    it's pure damage and it's calculated from target's Endurance for bleed special effect

Well. They want you to adapt to situation. https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/1976/whats-your-favorite-character-class-to-play-on-your-first-character/35
    Change something in your build to overcome immunities. You are not suppose to use same set of gear/skills all the time.
    I agree that it's gonna be tricky in PvP, because you can't just reset player change gear/skills and then fight them like you can do with creature but you are not suppose to be strong or even against all possible builds other players may have. Sometimes will somebody be strong against you and sometimes weak.

Optionally (but this is more demanding to implement) caps vs mobs can be different then vs other players.

Lets say player had 90% fire resistance. Full 90% is taken into account when monsters fire attack hits you, but only 50% for example is taken into account when players fire attack hits you.

But this would require much more coding and balancing, and Im not sure if that would be in devs interest. And in our own interest for that matter since that would extend game development time.

Also if that policy is taken, than its possible a lot more would likely be tweaked like that (to do a "full job") so entire combat system for players vs mobs would be somewhat different than for players vs players.

• Wiki Editor

@Gothix
    I prefer when skills works same in PVE and PVP

I guess that as long as there are counters, it does not matter even if the resistances goes over 100% and starts to absorb damage.

• @GorTavaro

I know we´re supposed to switch abillities / talents prior to difficult fights to make pve piece of cake, but I don´t see any problem in pve. Problem is in pvp. And it´s not "strong vs enemy / weak vs enemy" that seems not very balanced to me, its "immune to enemy / enemy immune to me" that i dont really like.

But we got quite offtopic.

it's pure damage and it's calculated from target's Endurance for bleed special effect.

So it all depends on enemy resist or amount of max Endurance and stats only reduce cooldown + bleeds stack; weapon has no effect on it, thanks for clarifycation 🙂

• @Tuoni
    If there are Abilities as counters ( If im fire specced mage Id like some kind of ability to reduce resists or totally remove it at least for a moment ) Im fine with it. But being multidamage hybrid is boring - resist reducers for specific damage type cannot be used as I´d have to have one for each element/damage type and one resisted damage (against which enemy is immune) will uselessly occupy one skill slot 😕

@asspirin said in Various damage types vs immunities:

@Tuoni
    If there are Abilities as counters ( If im fire specced mage Id like some kind of ability to reduce resists or totally remove it at least for a moment ) Im fine with it.

Something like that I had in my mind, resistances can be countered and balanced with abilities and enchants.

Of course soft and hard caps are one option if it looks like people will have too much resistances stacked, however, in that situation we could questioned if there is too much possibilities to stack resistances from the beginning. Usually fixing the root cause is the better option rather than trying to implement bandages.

• Wiki Editor

If you make your mage purely dependent on one element than it's not game design issue that somebody can be your counter but having skills that decrease target resistance is good idea for counter and people who wants to play for ex. full fire mage would have to sacrifice slot for that so it wouldn't even break balance imo since you can get permanent immunity with one toggle skill.
    But i have another proposal. You can have only two active Focus Ability so they could make skill something like Cancel: You disrupts target's flow of magic causing him/her to stop Focus abilities. Problem solved their resist will go down since skill it no longer toggled and it should probably go on some cooldown as well so they can't put it back on immediately but maybe not full because you are possibly shutting down two skills with one.

• @GorTavaro

... Problem solved their resist will go down since skill it no longer toggled and it should probably go on some cooldown as well so they can't put it back on immediately but maybe not full because you are possibly shutting down two skills with one.

I thought you can only have one defensive skill toggled (like Shield block) and one offensive (like Bash) and switch between them with cooldown. If it is still truth Id rather stop defensive one ... not sure it would be fair however, enemy is losing a Toggle ability for my regular ability.

But i guess we can agree PvP with immunities is more gambling than actual skillfull fight. Or I´m missing something.

• Wiki Editor

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured