Skills gained through different means

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Alrighty so we all know that skills can be gained by killing a certain amount of the same monster ( might he subject too change later )But what about the other ways of gaining skills I mean picking up a whole lot of plants should gain a skill maybe even chopping down a hundred trees

What I'm saying / asking is how do you think the gaining of skills via not killing things should work whether it be collecting a hundred types of herbs idk just throw out some ideas

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Getting non-combat skills would be fun.
    I wouldn't expect any combat skills to be gotten by gathering/processing/profession stuff, but definitely should be rewarded for doing more of it. Right now they exist as knowledge but it's a one-shot thing - it's either you have it or you don't, there's no knowledge grind for these things, just a checklist if you have it or not.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Manaia said in Skills gained through different means:

I wouldn't expect any combat skills to be gotten by gathering/processing/profession stuff, but definitely should be rewarded for doing more of it. Right now they exist as knowledge but it's a one-shot thing - it's either you have it or you don't, there's no knowledge grind for these things, just a checklist if you have it or not.

I like this idea. Would add a whole new dynamic to being a crafter/gather focused player. I feel like gathering regents used for poisoning could offer poison based skills/buffs (Maybe just increasing their usage duration or amount created when crafting poisons), etc.

Not sure if we are passed the point where they could add something like this but it is a great idea.

@Manaia yeah I'm not saying skills that directly add combat boost but a little something extra I know that knowledge is only gained rn but if i mine a hundred blocks I might should get a skill that makes mining faster for 5 min or get more materials or something idk

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I like this idea. I'm not sure what kind of skills can be learned by it, but i like it!

The checkbox system of knowledge gained in the current version does give us more KP to allow learning more abilities, is that enough? I don't know. I'm hard pressed to find non-combat skills that would really work. Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure there are no passives in this game, so they will need to be activated. Perhaps "professions" can work in this way - where you can do certain things with certain objects that you loot, but we have the crafting tables for that...

• TF#3 - ENVOY

https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/10375/would-love-to-see-mob-loot-drops-tied-to-knowledge/

This thread has some feedback too in how knowledge can work. In this case, I made a post stating the more you do things the more efficient you get at it. At the very least, you can just get more materials from it or even open up the loot table for more rare items (seeds?) for you to harvest/gather.

I was wondering, is that tier system build inside skills still a thing? If I remember right there was 6 tiers at some point planned or maybe it was 3... Anyway, reaching for the max would mean traveling to another planets and accomplish more dangerous tasks.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Tuoni Currently not a thing as of the latest test phase we had.

@Tuoni Currently not a thing as of the latest test phase we had.

Yeah I know but it might not been implemented yet especially if you think how barebones almost everything is still at the moment. Imo it was a good idea to build a tier system inside skills. Those can unlock more variations when milestone reached but also slight vertical progression on top of that as well. I actually found now the original plan for ability progression and it can be found from here: Feature Spotligh #3 . There is a picture of ability progression and inside it has build a 3 tier system (or actually 4 if lvl 0 is counted) with 6 different tasks.

"THERE’S MORE THAN ONE LEVEL!
    In the paragraphs above, we’ve covered the process that turns an Unknown ability to Discovered, Ready To Learn, and finally usable. Abilities, however, are not only meant to be learnt once, since they feature up to 3 levels of power! Completing only 2 tasks of a Discovered ability allows you to study an ability to level 1. After that, you need to have at least 4 tasks completed to study it to level 2 and 6 tasks completed to study it to level 3.

*Different learning tasks of the same ability are usually balanced so that completing a couple can be usually done in your home planet, while completing all 6 almost always requires you to travel to other planets. Studying higher levels also needs more complex blank tomes crafted with exotic resources and sophisticated tools – so we expect them to be a common item in player commerce.

Similarly to what we said about talents, you don’t have to worry about ability leveling creating a too wide power gap between new players and veterans. Sure, leveling up an ability increases its power – be it a stronger effect, increased duration, reduced cooldown, and more. However, they’re always minor differences, mostly interesting on a competitive level. Level 1-2 abilities are more than enough to create effective builds for casual PvE and PvP."*

alt text

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Tuoni Oh right! Yeah, that'd be something I'm really excited to see come to fruition!

@Tuoni ooooh! that's awesome. I appreciate the clarity of tasks listed and the ability to learn in depth.

@dj35 I wrote a post a while back hoping that there would be lots of ways to learn from our environment w/o necessarily having to kill a hundred of something that isn't trying to hurt me. I was assured by a few people that the idea was in the works. Glad I don't have to kill all the deer! 😉

@dj35 For gathering I would say that one good way would be a need to gather different resources rather than many. This would encourage the gatherer travel to different biomes, areas and planets as well.

The picture I linked gives good examples what kind of tasks could be considered in place of pure grind and killings mobs/animals. I would approach the matter from the theme of the ability itself. Like in that example we have a fire based AoE spell. So some of the tasks are related somehow to the fire or AoE hits (instead of killing certain number mobs).

whats interesting is Japanese started using farming tools as weapons when (katana) weapons were banned.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Jetah Indeed! Many ninjas were commoners that had to make due with all sorts of weapons, such as farming tools! It allowed them to easily carry them as they're not "real weapons"

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured