Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.

• IMO daily quests serve one main purpose, to keep the playerbase in the game playing (mindlessly grinding).

MMOs usually have enough stuff to do(content), but as they are intended for wider audience they may lack incentive for all players to engage in the world. Sandbox games on the other hand have plenty of stuff to do as you have to manage your property and since the game is nieche it doesn't need daily incentives - but in case you still need one here it is: "go tan some leather in the tub". It's not called a daily but you'll do it anyway because you need the resource if you're selling leather or need it for your armour.

Dailies in my opinion also become an "obligation" and as a result tedious to do but wether you are aware of that is another issue. I can give a firsthand example, Hearthstone (card game) I was playing it for a couple of months just to get that daily gold even though I wasn't really enjoying the game and once I was done I was done for the day, until I realised it's just better for me to quit because the game doesn't offer me what I want.

Whenever I log into any game and I get bombarded with daily quests I just quit because I don't want to be force spoon fed for some "freebies" ie. doing (annoying) tasks for things I do/not want. I am against dailies, but I wouldn't mind a weekly/monthly quest - but it does depend how this is handled. In WoW I would say LFR (weekly dungeons) are a fail because you just do them to get the freebies (and you don't even need to get to the dungeon or search for people to do it with - lack of social interaction). A monthly in Fractured could be a world boss or a big kill quest that would as a reward upgrade one of your skill of choice (I'm making it up but if skills could be upgraded that's one way to go about it to prevent the 1-5% becmoing super strong overnight).

I'll give another example: Leage of Legends, for first victory of the day (daily) you get bonus experience points and for every other game you play that day you get less experience. Once you get enough experience you get a lootbox that usually contains characters you can unlock for less currency. So when it comes to dailies I think the one LoL has is the best (of the ones I've seen) but I just don't know how this would translate to Fractured: getting normal resource feels meh, unlocking alternate skins could be ok, noncombat pets maybe... but at this point it just feels like I'm coming up with ideas for a theme park that is spinning out of control.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Grapher said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

IMO daily quests serve one main purpose, to keep the playerbase in the game playing (mindlessly grinding).

Pretty much this in the nutshell.

MMOs usually have enough stuff to do(content), but as they are intended for wider audience they may lack incentive for all players to engage in the world. Sandbox games on the other hand have plenty of stuff to do as you have to manage your property and since the game is nieche it doesn't need daily incentives - but in case you still need one here it is: "go tan some leather in the tub". It's not called a daily but you'll do it anyway because you need the resource if you're selling leather or need it for your armour.

I would also like to add that even some crafting related activities are timed, those needs to be done also from economical point of view to avoid overflooding the markets. Furthermore, crafting daily activities are fine and acceptable because those are not a must to do anyway rather optional activies for people who wants to focus on specific professions.

@Whisper said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

The goal of a daily isn't to force people to grind for hours but to get people to login daily.

and daily log in's don't pay bills. thus is a horrible metric.

@Specter
    thanks for that comment \o/

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

The goal of a daily isn't to force people to grind for hours but to get people to login daily.

and daily log in's don't pay bills. thus is a horrible metric.

@Specter
    thanks for that comment \o/

You realize the irony that you thanked Specter for his comment when he specified there is content that will require people to be active daily. They just aren't called dailies.

They won't have dailies but there are resources that have a 24 hour cooldown and nodes that have a 24 hour cooldown (What does that sound like?).

They won't have weekly/monthly but have a system that requires you to pay out various resources or lose your claim/city (What does that sound like?).

I guess in a way Fractured has the perfect daily/weekly/monthly system. It is integrated into their gameplay. And not only are people who are against dailies for it, they are thankful for it.

I will say Fractured's take on dailies might be the best way to go about it.

@Whisper I would like to remind that there is a huge difference between daily activities and daily quests. Most people are fine with optional daily activities like crafting timers but if we start talking about repetitive daily quests like e.g. in WoW those are something what a lot of players just hate so much. So if we speak of dailies we have to define what kind of activity we are talking about.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Tuoni said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

@Whisper I would like to remind that there is a huge difference between daily activities and daily quests. Most people are fine with optional daily activities like crafting timers but if we start talking about repetitive daily quests like e.g. in WoW those are something what a lot of players just hate so much. So if we speak of dailies we have to define what kind of activity we are talking about.

I am going to point to the title of this thread. Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.

My initial post was never, "This is what a Daily is and is the only way to do it". It is the exact opposite with, "What is your favorite type of Daily" or, "What would you like to see them as". Their answer to that is, "Fractured already has plenty of ways to encourage players to log in. Claim upkeep (carpenter), crafting timers, tending the farm, etc." which in my opinion really is the best way to do it.

There are still dailies in there with activities/resources with a 24 hour timer, activities/resources with a 12 hour timer, and weeklies/monthlies (Claim/city maintenance) and activities you will need to do daily or bidaily (Crafting armor that has broken, regathering supplies for enchanting the newly crafted armor, etc).

Fractured has picked the best way to go about it in my opinion.

@Whisper Well Jetah was talking about daily quests and actually so did you in the original post. And if we want to be accurate, in most cases dailies refers to daily quests and that is almost a standard in MMORPGs. So if someone wants to use word dailies when meaning crafting timers please go ahead but be ready to cause a lot of misunderstandings.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Whisper Well Jetah was talking about daily quests and actually so did you in the original post. And if we want to be accurate, in most cases dailies refers to daily quests and that is almost a standard in MMORPGs. So if someone wants to use word dailies when meaning crafting timers please go ahead but be ready to cause a lot of misunderstandings.

Daily quest are used to get people to login daily.
    They have daily/monthly (or weekly not sure how often claim maintenance is there) activities to get people to login daily.

I feel like at this point we are arguing the semantics of the words and not the purpose/spirit. I agree that Fractured are not using the word daily quest in their daily activities that will be there. But they are there none the less.

They are not saying, "Collect 12 hides today". But you might want to set 12 hides to start tanning so the next day you can have 12 leather.

They are not saying, "Collect 6 logs". But if the 2 trees outside your territory are up you might want to gather them before they are gone for the 12-24 hours they are gone for.

They are not saying, "Collect 4 Rabbit Feet" but if you want to have some good enchants on the gear you are going to remake when yours breaks you might want to collect some rabbit feet.

They are not saying, "Gather 200 Gold" but if you want to pay the taxes on a claim. You might want to gather 200 gold.

Again. I agree they are not calling them daily quest and giving you an NPC saying, "This is your daily quest". But they are the same exact thing.

These are things even at end game if you have the best armor/weapons you will need to do daily. Or almost daily. You will always need materials because armor breaks. You will always need regents because enchants will need to be used on the new armor. You will always need to pay the fees for your claim/city.

They have daily/monthly (or weekly not sure how often claim maintenance is there) activities to get people to login daily.

I feel like at this point we are arguing the semantics of the words and not the purpose/spirit. I agree that Fractured are not using the word daily quest in their daily activities that will be there. But they are there none the less.

They are not saying, "Collect 12 hides today". But you might want to set 12 hides to start tanning so the next day you can have 12 leather.

They are not saying, "Collect 6 logs". But if the 2 trees outside your territory are up you might want to gather them before they are gone for the 12-24 hours they are gone for.

They are not saying, "Collect 4 Rabbit Feet" but if you want to have some good enchants on the gear you are going to remake when yours breaks you might want to collect some rabbit feet.

They are not saying, "Gather 200 Gold" but if you want to pay the taxes on a claim. You might want to gather 200 gold.

Again. I agree they are not calling them daily quest and giving you an NPC saying, "This is your daily quest". But they are the same exact thing.

No no no... I guess you have not played WoW. That game created a standard for daily quests what other games have copied since then. Those are a totally different thing than a crafting timers I mean like from a different world.

The base idea of sandbox game is the freedom of choise where players have a huge role to create own stories, events and have influence to the economy and environment. Players are not forced or pushed to do anything specific and when they login they go to do what ever they want, not all players want to be crafters or farmers so they they skip the whole timed thing. Almost every MMORPG has timed content but those are not called daily quests.

With daily quests lets go with the WoW model. Almost everytime when a new patch launches there will be a new end-game content which is at that moment the thing what everybody should and is almost forced to do. These new patches brings usually punch of daily quests which are used to progress a certain faction reputation to unlock better gear, recipes, mounts, progress with the storylines etc. Idea is that players do those same daily quests from NPCs over and over again after weeks they have achieved their goal or they have stopped because of getting bored asfak. This is typical for themepark MMOs that the game (and developers behind it) determines what you should do with your daily playtime.

I hope I could now explain the difference and why when speaking of daily quests so many people gets irritated, it is almost like a red flag to people. Those who have played WoW and other games which uses somehow similar daily quest systems they know what I am talking about, they feel the pain. I personally like a much more of sandbox games than themepark MMOs and the reason is simple, freedom of choise what I am going to do with my playtime which can be quite limited especially during weekdays and I do not want to use that time to do same quest over and over again from week to week.

So lets keep the sandbox clean and leave the rollercoaster to themeparks.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

No no no... I guess you have not played WoW. That game created a standard for daily quests what other games have copied since then. Those are a totally different thing than a crafting timers I mean like from a different world.

The base idea of sandbox game is the freedom of choise where players have a huge role to create own stories, events and have influence to the economy and environment. Players are not forced or pushed to do anything specific and when they login they go to do what ever they want, not all players want to be crafters or farmers so they they skip the whole timed thing. Almost every MMORPG has timed content but those are not called daily quests.

I agree with this. This is why fractured use of daily activities makes sense. It is the perfect application of daily quest for a sand box game.

With daily quests lets go with the WoW model. Almost everytime when a new patch launches there will be a new end-game content which is at that moment the thing what everybody should and is almost forced to do. These new patches brings usually punch of daily quests which are used to progress a certain faction reputation to unlock better gear, recipes, mounts, progress with the storylines etc. Idea is that players do those same daily quests from NPCs over and over again after weeks they have achieved their goal or they have stopped because of getting bored asfak. This is typical for themepark MMOs that the game (and developers behind it) determines what you should do with your daily playtime.

Yeah, I think the general consensus is that is the worst type of Daily quest. Ones that feel mandatory and are time consuming. Two of the worse combinations. Add in requiring long farming and it would be the three worst choices.

I hope I could now explain the difference and why when speaking of daily quests so many people gets irritated, it is almost like a red flag to people. Those who have played WoW and other games which uses somehow similar daily quest systems they know what I am talking about, they feel the pain. I personally like a much more of sandbox games than themepark MMOs and the reason is simple, freedom of choise what I am going to do with my playtime which can be quite limited especially during weekdays and I do not want to use that time to do same quest over and over again from week to week.

I hear you on disliking those kind of daily quest. Especially on ones that force you into it. What you mention here is one of the reasons I was first attracted to Fractured. There gear system is non-linear which means without spending every waking moment farming the best gear you can compete in the PVP in a balanced and fair way (Or at least more fair than most MMO's where the end game gear dwarfs normal gear in every single way where it is not even a match up).

So far I don't think I really disagree with anything you are saying here.

So lets keep the sandbox clean and leave the rollercoaster to themeparks.

I don't think anyone was arguing for time consuming, mandatory, in your face daily quest, lol. Like Specter said there will be activities you have to do daily if you play daily. Like gather supplies for food. Throwing in leather to be tanned. Or your farming activities. Or claim/city maintenance. Etc.

That is more than plenty. I think some people got triggered because they saw the word Dailies. I should have been more specific (or more general) and said, "What are some ways to encourage people to play the game daily"

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

[...]

... or you might set 5, or 18, or 100. You are not required to follow the exact and consistent rate of 12 a day or else have 0 for some days, as you would if it was a daily quest.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@FibS said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

[...]

... or you might set 5, or 18, or 100. You are not required to follow the exact and consistent rate of 12 a day or else have 0 for some days, as you would if it was a daily quest.

If you do 0 you get 0. I guess doing it this way has the benefit of deciding the exact number you want but doesn't change the mechanic behind behind an activity to get people to log in daily.

There is a limit on hides/leather you can do a day though based on how much of your property would be just tanning tubs.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

dailies shouldn't give game advantages, just cosmetic or even stuff you can get in game by other means since some people have all the time to run dailies but some might only have a few hrs a week to play.

You realize the irony that you thanked Specter for his comment when he specified there is content that will require people to be active daily. They just aren't called dailies.

And if you still don't understand the difference, thats the core of your problem. 🙂

Few bonus gold here and there will never have that much weight, however psychological effect on player is real.
    "Daily quests" push players away from the game. They kill the fun in the game, and make a game feel like job.

You can give any argument you want why dailiy quests can be good, but the above are the facts that still remain. At least for major part of playerbase.

@Whisper

So if I don't craft I dont have them, correct?

As others have pointed out. I'm not going to an NPC, getting quest or going to a spot and doing a bounty, every day for gold or whatever reward.

Now since NPCs can get stronger over time, I can see some system where we can be asked to thin a particular enemy type. But this won't happen every day.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Whisper

So if I don't craft I dont have them, correct?

As others have pointed out. I'm not going to an NPC, getting quest or going to a spot and doing a bounty, every day for gold or whatever reward.

Now since NPCs can get stronger over time, I can see some system where we can be asked to thin a particular enemy type. But this won't happen every day.
    I don't think I have met a game that forced you to do a daily quest.

And you won't be going to an NPC for them but if you want leather you will be going to a tanning tub. If you an logs you will be going to a tree. If you want to farm you will be going to your farm area.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Gothix said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

And if you still don't understand the difference, thats the core of your problem. 🙂

Few bonus gold here and there will never have that much weight, however psychological effect on player is real.
    "Daily quests" push players away from the game. They kill the fun in the game, and make a game feel like job.

I think the core of your problem is you think there is a difference when there isn't lol.

A daily activity with a 12-24 hour timer is exactly the same as a daily quest.

You can give any argument you want why dailiy quests can be good, but the above are the facts that still remain. At least for major part of playerbase.

This is your opinion. My opinion is Fractured already has them in place. But they are integrated into the game. I think anyone who supports daily quest would be okay with that, and as it seems some people who absolutely dislike the idea are okay with it as well.

Sounds like a good compromise to me.

@Whisper

Or I can kill people who are wearing that gear.

There's still a complete difference between getting raw resource then processing it vs going to do a task to get a reward from a NPC.

Just look at WoW and their daily quest debate. It started in BC when dailies were first introduced.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Whisper

Or I can kill people who are wearing that gear.

There's still a complete difference between getting raw resource then processing it vs going to do a task to get a reward from a NPC.

Just look at WoW and their daily quest debate. It started in BC when dailies were first introduced.

That can be said for the majority of dailies in existence (That you can get it a different way).

Any game that has a daily system that gives the daily unique rewards that can't be gotten any other way is the worst example of that system.

@Gothix said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

I think the core of your problem is you think there is a difference when there isn't lol.

A daily activity with a 12-24 hour timer is exactly the same as a daily quest.

I thought you already understood the difference... Oh well, I give it a go one more time. A daily activity like crafting timer is just an optional task what you can do if you want to or totally skip if you are not interested. Daily quests are usually a core part of new content, a large system, what people are forced to do day after day for weeks. The difference is HUGE.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured