Requisite for casting magic

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Man some weapons need specific spells so yep

Usually magical attacks do alot more damage in games than physical attacks that I have played. That is why there are certain restrictions such as what armor you can wear, what weapons you can wield (if any), cooldowns between casts, not being able to move while casting....It's all about having a decent balance with all forms of combat. Every game I have seen eventually some form filters toward the top as everyone starts to play that style. Then the nerf hammer comes and rebalances lol. Mix pvp and pve and now you have a whole new balance issue. It always seems to be a vicious cycle of balancing.

@Gynz said in Requisite for casting magic:

@Azurael I'd agree with this. I don't like the idea of spells being restricted to armor / weapon choices. It's magic, the stuff that breaks reality. I don't see why the type of hat I have on, or the kind of stick I have in my hand should change what I can do. Magic would be a skill in the same sense that riding a bike is a skill, and while riding a bike in plate armor is certainly more difficult, it's still possible.

A talent to make such things possible makes sense, and I'll be disappointed if there isn't something like it. Restrictions on character building always suck.

I don't mind restrictions based on certain skills, it makes sense that a mage starting out can't hold a sword and shield and then cast spells certain spells..

But if you want to make that character there should be a talent, some maybe called combat casting, or martial casting.

Someone wanting hybrid will choose this, but pure caster won't worry about weapons and will be able to cast more and for more damage... Guy with sword and shield will have the option to shoot magic and then jump into the fight.

@Azurael

why should magic be limited to those using sticks?

(paladins use a sword/mace and shield and still cast spells)

@Jetah
    I wouldn't call a Paladin a pure caster. I agree though, anyone should be able to learn and use magic. But picking up skills here or there to flesh out a hybrid/multiclass/whatever build makes sense to me.

@FallenW1ng

the game isnt suppose to be restrictive in set classes but it's difficult to balance a caster in plate unless the plate has heavily reduced caster stats.

Jetah said in Requisite for casting magic:

@Azurael

why should magic be limited to those using sticks?

(paladins use a sword/mace and shield and still cast spells)

I didn't say it should be restricted to people using staves only, not sure where you got that from...

I am asking because some spells on the wiki say you can only cast while unarmed or with 1handed weapon.

This game has no classes so we can't say there are paladins or wizards in the normal sense, this isn't d&d.... No restriction on what you want to make.

If you want to make a "paladin" style class it's possible, most of the buffs can be cast while you swing your sword and some heals it looks like.... But if you want to use a two handed sword you will have less spells.. ..

@Prometheus can maybe weight in and tell us how spellcasting is restricted, I think it makes sense that as you start you can't just toss huge aoe fireballs while running around with a two handed sword and heavy armor (if you want to do this however maybe talents are required in my opinion.... Training to cast while being so heavily armored)

Depends I guess on how fractured views spellcasting, is it just a concentrated effort of will and mana.... Or does spell casting involve hand gestures, spoken words or a foci.

We already see a spell that will silence... So some spells can be disabled with this enchant.

We need the devs to weight in on the mechanics of spellcasting for the actual game and the lore.

@Farlander said in Requisite for casting magic:

Usually magical attacks do alot more damage in games than physical attacks that I have played. That is why there are certain restrictions such as what armor you can wear, what weapons you can wield (if any), cooldowns between casts, not being able to move while casting....It's all about having a decent balance with all forms of combat. Every game I have seen eventually some form filters toward the top as everyone starts to play that style. Then the nerf hammer comes and rebalances lol. Mix pvp and pve and now you have a whole new balance issue. It always seems to be a vicious cycle of balancing.

This is astute and important. Also, I love the mental image of the nerf hammer. 🔨 🤓

When I picture my Wolfling, I don't visualize her depending on majik for personal safety, but I hope she'll be proficient in some protective spells that a wise elder would not want to leave home without, e.g., 'light/torch', 'translate', ''secure knot', 'spider-climb', & 'charm'. No weapons involved, but any of these might save her life.

@PeachMcD like those ideas, always a fan of more subtle magic, not just missiles and aoe storms.

My char will definitely use a lot of divination because there is utility there.

@Azurael

i said sticks, not staves. not sure where you got that from.

the game is in alpha and things can change. today they're weapon bound, next week they're not. if we're in beta and it's like it is now then it is what it is.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Personally, I'd love to be able to wear heavy armor, with two-handed axe, while casting spells. That'll make everyone believe my demon being dumb muscle, only for him to disintegrate the opponents with spells 🙂

If I were designing a game, I wouldn't restrict usage of spells while wielding specific weapons. I would however make certain spells more potent, depending on what you have in your hands.

So player would be able to cast every spell, regardless of what he has in his hands, but, for example, resurrection spell would be more potent while holding a 2 handed hammer compared to dual wielding swords (resurrected player would come back with more stamina and endurance). Some spells would be more potent while holding a staff, and so on.

No restrictions on casting, but having spell potency depend on what you are currently holding in your hands (as one of the factors which determine spell potency, alongside stats, other gear,...).

@deusex2 said in Requisite for casting magic:

Personally, I'd love to be able to wear heavy armor, with two-handed axe, while casting spells. That'll make everyone believe my demon being dumb muscle, only for him to disintegrate the opponents with spells 🙂

Watched an Anime where a mages physical body determined their magic power and quantity. So the strongest and long lasting mages were the strong bros/sis. The entrance exam was getting the new hopefuls fit, and to see which would drop out because "magic doesn't need strong bodies".

@Gothix

I always thought of needing a conduit for casting to be quite lame. to me the focus was more the hands or just the imagination.

@Jetah As a highly developed mage perhaps, you might depend less on what you are holding in hands, albeit it may always have some impact. As a beginner (and medium level) mage your "focus weapon" would certainly have more impact on potency of your spells.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah said in Requisite for casting magic:

@deusex2 said in Requisite for casting magic:

Watched an Anime where a mages physical body determined their magic power and quantity. So the strongest and long lasting mages were the strong bros/sis. The entrance exam was getting the new hopefuls fit, and to see which would drop out because "magic doesn't need strong bodies".

@Gothix

I always thought of needing a conduit for casting to be quite lame. to me the focus was more the hands or just the imagination.

Haha! If that were the face for Fractured, then my mammoth mount would be OP! 🙂

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured