Requisite for casting magic

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Not sure if this has been answered yet, I've unfortunately missed both alphas due to work and pc issues.

I see some spells have been added to the wiki and some say nothing is required whiles other says unarmed or 1handed

Does this mean certain spells can only be cast with these weapons and spells like that are disabled while you are holding say a bow or spear?

@Azurael said in Requisite for casting magic:

Not sure if this has been answered yet, I've unfortunately missed both alphas due to work and pc issues.

I see some spells have been added to the wiki and some say nothing is required whiles other says unarmed or 1handed

Does this mean certain spells can only be cast with these weapons and spells like that are disabled while you are holding say a bow or spear?

Yeah a lot of wizard spells where unarmed, found it pretty weird considering I made a staff (wizard 101) and could cast most things using it lmao

i mean.. it's still alpha so not all the systems are in place. it's easier to allow spells to be case without gear. well my assumption is.

Yes, it does, on the other hand, you can easily switch between 3 equipped weapons/unarmed, which give you more flexibility.

But with only 29 "spells" in alpha 1 (ca 10% of total obtainable in the live version) I assume there will be enough to choose from without to be forced to switch weapons at all.

However, weapon switch might be needed for optimal ( PvP) build however. To soon to say.

@Yitra

it's 1200 with all ranks! if i'm remembering correctly!

I can see devs implementing "small cooldown" on weapon switching, so players could just use keybinding to switch weapon all the time and cast everything in succession and hit the target as well.

Realistically, having certain spells "require certain weapon equipped" makes no sense if weapons can be switches in combat and without a CD.

@Gothix said in Requisite for casting magic:

I can see devs implementing "small cooldown" on weapon switching, so players could just use keybinding to switch weapon all the time and cast everything in succession and hit the target as well.

Realistically, having certain spells "require certain weapon equipped" makes no sense if weapons can be switches in combat and without a CD.

Well most of the higher tier spells seem to have a cooldown, which I imagine is universal... so even if they swap weapons without cooldown they won't be able to cast everything quick.

I just wondered if there is a reason for unarmed, say that hand gestures are required and one handed applies to focusing items. it makes sense since the shout based spells dont have weapon requirements... you say them and thus can have a two handed sword and not have to worry. however skills that require you to focus and aim you need either your hand or a 1handed weapon to point and "shoot

Looking now I also see that buff spells dont require a certain weapon... obviously this might change as the game progresses... but I like that you can cast fireballs with a massive hammer. you need to be able to focus on the spell.

And for those that want to run around with a massive hammer and cast spells youll need a talent such as battle mage... ability to cast magic while heavily armed.

• Wiki Editor

Well most of the higher tier spells seem to have a cooldown, which I imagine is universal... so even if they swap weapons without cooldown they won't be able to cast everything quick.

I just wondered if there is a reason for unarmed, say that hand gestures are required and one handed applies to focusing items. it makes sense since the shout based spells dont have weapon requirements... you say them and thus can have a two handed sword and not have to worry. however skills that require you to focus and aim you need either your hand or a 1handed weapon to point and "shoot

Unarmed could also be to eventually accommodate the martial arts school of fighting.

@Jetah With 3 ranks per spell that would make it the double of 200 I thought it was. Creating 400 unique spells would be a real challenge.

@Yitra said in Requisite for casting magic:

@Jetah With 3 ranks per spell that would make it the double of 200 I thought it was. Creating 400 unique spells would be a real challenge.

yep. i'm ok with only having 100 at launch then them adding to the game over time. but 400^3 would be nice at launch too.

You are right, weapon swapping can be pointless if abilities won't change as well. There could be profile system where players can save pre-made builds inclueding gear and abilities. Changing profile should have cooldown or happen only when out combat. I personally see pre-made profiles almost mandatory or at least as a huge QoL thing. Swapping between builds and abilities without any assistance from system behalf will be slow and can be a nightmare especially in situations when you are at hurry.

@Azurael I'd agree with this. I don't like the idea of spells being restricted to armor / weapon choices. It's magic, the stuff that breaks reality. I don't see why the type of hat I have on, or the kind of stick I have in my hand should change what I can do. Magic would be a skill in the same sense that riding a bike is a skill, and while riding a bike in plate armor is certainly more difficult, it's still possible.

A talent to make such things possible makes sense, and I'll be disappointed if there isn't something like it. Restrictions on character building always suck.

@Gynz said in Requisite for casting magic:

I don't like the idea of spells being restricted to armor / weapon choices.

I would keep that with minimum too. However, I understand if some weapons have unique abilities and spells, maybe related to weapon categories. One option is allow characters to use freely armors and weapons, and still use magic abilities at the same time. Abilities and spells effectivenes should ofc vary by gear in this kind of situation. Fireball spell (for example) does more damage and costs less energy when wielding staff or wand, and is less effective when using spears, swords, maces and such.

Current ability system was less user friendly tbh. I suggest, that those abilities you can not use with current gear you wear, would be marked somehow in your ability bar. Making those buttons dark could be easy way to give player that information.

• Wiki Editor

@Tuoni said in Requisite for casting magic:

I would keep that with minimum too. However, I understand if some weapons have unique abilities and spells, maybe related to weapon categories.

One class of weapon where I noticed this is "Assassin Weapon" on most Assassination abilities that get restricted to Dagger and Handaxe.

@kellewic said in Requisite for casting magic:

I would keep that with minimum too. However, I understand if some weapons have unique abilities and spells, maybe related to weapon categories.

One class of weapon where I noticed this is "Assassin Weapon" on most Assassination abilities that get restricted to Dagger and Handaxe.

Yeah, there were a lot of assassin weapon only abilities, but only few or none for others. For club there was one stun ability for example.

Was that handaxe really an assassin weapon too, like dagger..? 🤔 I did not notice that.

@kellewic Was that in the Alpha or another game?

• Wiki Editor

Yeah, there were a lot of assassin weapon only abilities, but only few or none for others. For club there was one stun ability for example.

Was that handaxe really an assassin weapon too, like dagger..? 🤔 I did not notice that.

Yeah, I found handaxe kind of odd for an assassin weapon, but the Strike skills all had Dagger and Handaxe as required weapons and their descriptions had:

Your next strike with an Assassin Weapon is a guaranteed hit that deals increased damage.

• Wiki Editor

@FallenW1ng said in Requisite for casting magic:

@kellewic Was that in the Alpha or another game?

In this game.

Yeah, I found handaxe kind of odd for an assassin weapon, but the Strike skills all had Dagger and Handaxe as required weapons and their descriptions had:

Your next strike with an Assassin Weapon is a guaranteed hit that deals increased damage.

It sounds imo a little bit odd too.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured