Animal taming and breeding.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I know we don't have any information for this topic yet since the stretch goal was recently obtained. However, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on how they would like to see if implemented. Not just the basics of it, but if animals tamed on one planet have buffs or debuffs if taken to other worlds. What types of beasts of burden you'd like to see in game? Utility, offensive, defensive, maybe even sentry type animals that can alert you to the presence of enemies, or other high level animals nearby. Race specific animals that are hard to obtain and non breedable, but have advantages against the other races in the world. Again, all just thoughts and ideas but I'm curious, so let the imaginations shine!

• @Achili I'd love to see animals that are sensitive to a players alignment. An animal on the Beastkin world could be wary or even hostile to evil players, while they might be friendly or even attracted to good players.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I like the Ark-style breeding. Each animal of a type has a slight variation in the stats and when you breed two animals together, it uses their stats as a base for the offspring. This allows for breeding pets for specific stats over time. My pet bear sould be bred for use as a pack mule versus yours bred for combat.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I would like to see three different purposes with animal taming and breeding.

• Pets
    • Mounts
    • Cattle

Mounts are ofc used for traveling and transporting and cattle as part of farming and cooking. But.. I have been thinking, what kind of use those pets are actually planned? Utility, cosmetic, combat?

@Achili said in Animal taming and breeding.:

..sentry type animals that can alert you to the presence of enemies, or other high level animals nearby.

I really like this idea. It might become handy in the open world.

@Luranthe said in Animal taming and breeding.:

@Achili I'd love to see animals that are sensitive to a players alignment. An animal on the Beastkin world could be wary or even hostile to evil players, while they might be friendly or even attracted to good players.

It was good you raised up this alignment point. This should be taken account when a player is trying to tame a specific animal. If their alignments match you have easier task, but if you do not share the same alignment it should become hard or even impossible.

I would like to see pets at least for utility use. Maybe some of those could help find rich resource vains or even treasures, and some helps to track animals for hunting purpose.

EDIT; Maybe some pets can warn master about aproaching players and work like anti-zerging mechanic.

I like the idea of 3 different types, although the third would be more "foodstuffs" than just cattle. So Pets, Mounts, Foodstuffs.

@Esoba said in Animal taming and breeding.:

I like the idea of 3 different types, although the third would be more "foodstuffs" than just cattle. So Pets, Mounts, Foodstuffs.

Like I said: "cattle as part of farming and cooking."

Lets just keep it as cattle, it describes the purpose a little bit better than "foodstuffs" tbh.. 😉 Livestock is another option to describe all those farmable animals, which are raised for crafting purpose and mainly for cooking. Not just for meat, but those animals can also produce milk, eggs, hides, bones, horns, feathers, etc.

Animals really don't have an alignment unless they are sentient. Most should just be neutral. I really hope there is a good balance because almost every game I've played tamers have been OP.

• This post is deleted!

As humans we assign evil/good traits to animals based upon our own bias. For example, most people would call a snake evil either based upon their fear of it or its biblical symbolic reference. However, a snake like most animals is motivated merely by survival which in its inherent nature is pure neutral. An alignment is a result of choices. Choices come from the ability to think with rational thought. Of course for a game I guess the gods can assign their alignment although I don't see much rationale in a bird being good if all it does is sit on a branch and tweet while hunting for worms.

All I'm saying is the majority of the things you can hunt should be neutral so as not to flag someone who is just out gathering resources which is the point of my topic 👍

@Farlander Yes you are kind of right. In D&D there was alignments for animals too, but they have changed that later. Now animals are unaligned, so those are not even neutral.

Maybe basic animals could be all unaligned, because they are unable separate good from evil. However, animals could still use insticts/will, so they can trust more to certain type of alignments and/or races. That was actually my point.

@Tuoni
    Ahhh yes, livestock was the word I was looking for. That's that better describes it.

Given that Arboreus itself attacks evil-aligned players who venture there, it seems reasonable that the tamable creatures on it wouldn't be easily tamed (if at all) by evil-aligned players.

"Animal Taming: Tame and train animals to help you in battle"

Now because this text stands in the stretch goal we achieved. Maybe we could discuss how people wants these pets to take part to the fights?

I would like to see a lot of different kind of options. Maybe different kind of pets can handle different roles? Tank, dps, heal, support (buff) or distract (CC or debuff).

@Tuoni I would like pets that hunt and grow with you Trainable , so you can praise and punish behavior, to teach them habits you want

Dog has found a treasure chest - would you like him/her to do this behavior more?.

and be able to fight other people pets in a turn based arena , using set moves such as bite fire breath (what ever moves it knows)

As long as having pets in a fight isn't OP and a requirement to compete (like Atlas), I'm good! 🙂

I would like to see pets as something interchangeable in terms of mount, battle or cosmetic. Be able to tame say a huge, badass looking spider, and choose to ride it, or bring it out to kill some enemies, or have it follow me just coz it looks cool. Rather than having static monsters that can only be one thing, have them be versatile within reason.

Not being able to ride, say a Fairy for example would make sense. Make the more versatile tames a bit more difficult or something. Or base the difficulty of tame on how wild or aggressive the beasts would theoretically be.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Tuoni said in Animal taming and breeding.:

Mounts are ofc used for traveling and transporting and cattle as part of farming and cooking. But.. I have been thinking, what kind of use those pets are actually planned? Utility, cosmetic, combat?

Apart from mounts and livestock, you will have companions and pet.

• Companions: they will have only aesthetic purposes.
    • Pet: they will be able to help you during fights casting spells, special abilities, or giving you buffs to protect you or your teammates.

Nice. As companions are only aesthetic, will we be able to have a pet and companion out at the same time, or is there some restriction?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Esoba said in Animal taming and breeding.:

Nice. As companions are only aesthetic, will we be able to have a pet and companion out at the same time, or is there some restriction?

Yes, you will also be able to keep more pets at the same time.

@Znirf said in Animal taming and breeding.:

@Tuoni said in Animal taming and breeding.:

you will have companions and pet.

• Companions: they will have only aesthetic purposes.
    • Pet: they will be able to help you during fights casting spells, special abilities, or giving you buffs to protect you or your teammates.

Okay, this sounds really nice.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured