Characters Per Account

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Has it been confirmed how many characters you can have per account? I have seen some posts discussing it but haven't seen any solid answers.

@Farlander said in Characters Per Account:

Has it been confirmed how many characters you can have per account? I have seen some posts discussing it but haven't seen any solid answers.

If I would speculate, my personal guess would be 2-3 characters by default plus purchasable extra character slots in shop.

I believe about two or three as well. Purchasing ranks increases slots by a certain amount.

• Community Manager

@Farlander 3 slots plus the ones from the Kickstarter and I assume additional slots can be bought in the store. 😉

@Specter

Additional slots purchasable, hey? Interesting! 🙂 Would they all be covered by a VIP membership (and thus all get extra knowledge points), or would you need multiple memberships for multiple toons?

• Community Manager

@Roccandil I said I assume additional slots can be purchased. I didn't confirm anything. 😉 VIP is account-wide. EDIT: It does appear purchasable character slots was confirmed a while ago though.

Proprietor pack for example gives 4 additional character slots and if we get 3 as default, who on earth needs total of 7 in sandbox game.. Just because of different races? 🤔

@Tuoni

I could see having a toon for each race/class:

• Human
    • Lich
    • Chadra
    • Erwydra
    • Nheedra
    • Udoadra
    • Abomination
    • Blood demon
    • Hellfire demon
    • Shadow demon
    • Angel

Eleven total, just to experience their diverse gameplay, not counting various attribute builds for each race! 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

It wouldn't hurt to have the option but it's silly to have that many characters in a game of this nature.

@Roccandil I kind of understand that race point of view and it gives people chance to play with different playstyles.

However, marketing spying is one thing what you can do with multiple characters even not using those characters anywhere else. There can be other spy options as well. It also depends how much devs wants spys to be used at first place.

@Tuoni

If we can see which account characters belong to, that might prevent spying issues.

@Roccandil said in Characters Per Account:

@Tuoni

If we can see which account characters belong to, that might prevent spying issues.

Well that would help for some spy activity, but I am not sure if they are going to do that.

Market checking is annoying possibility and affects negatively to local economies. I know because I used this in Albion, it was too easy there. On top of spying alts makes different kind of campings a thing and I am not sure what devs have planned to prevent this happen.

@Tuoni

Market checking seems fine to me in Albion. It's easy to find out when a disparity exists, sure, but you still have to do the work to exploit it, sometimes across PvP zones (unlike Wurm Online, where you just mail the item(s) across servers, which is what -I'm- used to!).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

It's hard to keep spying in check with this system.

For realm-based games like Camelot Unchained, they lock the account to a specific realm but since Fractured doesn't work like that, it's going to be interesting to see how developers handle it.
    Perhaps they may even encourage that type of behavior, who knows.

@Belligero said in Characters Per Account:

It's hard to keep spying in check with this system.

For realm-based games like Camelot Unchained, they lock the account to a specific realm but since Fractured doesn't work like that, it's going to be interesting to see how developers handle it.
    Perhaps they may even encourage that type of behavior, who knows.

i bought the warrior 2.0 and it specifically states my account will be locked, so i assume normal accounts aren't locked.

@Belligero said in Characters Per Account:

It wouldn't hurt to have the option but it's silly to have that many characters in a game of this nature.

Some people just love alts. Specially people that love to min max.

Good human, evil human, human lich, good beast man, abomination, evil demon, angel,... and then if someone wants "special characters for RP", or characters that will always keep in city and relog (travel time is long) to check on what people are currently selling, or have character logged out somewhere for scouting purposes,...

There are bound to be people that will buy extra slots.

they'll either get extra character slots or extra accounts.

@Tuoni

Market checking seems fine to me in Albion. It's easy to find out when a disparity exists, sure, but you still have to do the work to exploit it, sometimes across PvP zones

It does not matter even in some cases you needs to travel through dangerous zones, because some people will do it anyway. It is just stupidily easy and hurts economy.

Camping other players and PvE hotspots (bosses & resources) are also easier with huge number of alts and can be really annoying if allowed freely.

Different kind of spying and camping behaviour are just the downside of alts and hard to get rid off if wanted. I am not saying there should not be alts (it is good there is some), I just want devs to keep the total number calm, especially if they do not have any preventing actions planned.

@Tuoni said in Characters Per Account:

@Tuoni

Market checking seems fine to me in Albion. It's easy to find out when a disparity exists, sure, but you still have to do the work to exploit it, sometimes across PvP zones

It does not matter even in some cases you needs to travel through dangerous zones, because some people will do it anyway. It is just stupidily easy and hurts economy.

Hurts economy? Exploiting variances in local markets -is- economy. 🙂 And if that exploitation were so easy, the variances would cease to exist. Perhaps I haven't been playing long enough, but I haven't seen that yet.

Camping other players and PvE hotspots (bosses & resources) are also easier with huge number of alts and can be really annoying if allowed freely.

Different kind of spying and camping behaviour are just the downside of alts and hard to get rid off if wanted. I am not saying there should not be alts (it is good there is some), I just want devs to keep the total number calm, especially if they do not have any preventing actions planned.

I hear you. All the same, attempting to force players to not use alts is a losing battle, one that would be costly and ineffective. Instead, I'd shoot for the following:

• Fully support alts within boundaries (as Fractured already seems to be doing). For one thing, that allows alt usage to be more easily monitored.
    • Design gameplay to diminish the effectiveness of alt abuse. If it doesn't pay, people won't do it, and you won't need to force them to stop through external mechanisms (which are easily circumvented).

@Tuoni said in Characters Per Account:

@Tuoni

Hurts economy? Exploiting variances in local markets -is- economy. 🙂 And if that exploitation were so easy, the variances would cease to exist. Perhaps I haven't been playing long enough, but I haven't seen that yet.

Because in Albion it was kind of meant to create local economies by selling local resources (and items based on those) and that way make every market unique. Now those who did merchanting used alts and/or fast traveling to check out the other markets before they decided where they are going to travel with the goods. And because people had this easy access to other marketplaces, more goods were transported and the uniqueness or different markets were hurt. All markets had almost same stuff for sale with almost same prices (excluding Caerleon because it was central hub). This was of course just one reason and relatively easy access to all resources everywhere was another. I do not know about others, but at least to me that felt so stupid that you can spy other markets without any effort. I benefit from the system myself, but from game point of view it does not sound reasonable way of acting. To stop this they would need to restrict number of alts (which they would not do because their business model) or remove some fast traveling options (which is partly important if you want to group up fast). It is kind of win to lose situation.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured