Summon Fellow Demon Players Ability

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Jetah said in Summon Fellow Demon Players Ability:

(...)you're confusing two concepts.

I am not confusing concepts, I'm well aware of the implementation that was suggested. I am comparing the impact of said implementation to a design decision.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

As a future demon player, I'm totally sold on the idea! It's like summoning Dremora Lord, in ES, only Dremora Lord is a PC! I'm eager to write a book on my adventures as a summoned monster! ^_^

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

This is a neat idea I would really like this to be a thing for the Conjuration and Necromancy schools of magic as a summoning ritual as long as the Summoners suffer something in exchange for summoning a Demon, and the Demon still has some semblance of free will—enough free will to kill their Summoners if desired.

I believe summoning a Demon should require three to six Summoners of near equal proficiency in Conjuration and Necromancy as each other, but I'm undecided on rather the Summoners should be able to bend the will of the Demon to keep it behaved and obedient (if they are stronger than the summoned Demon) and rather the Demon should receive some sort of buff that allows them to persist on Syndesia longer than they normally would before they are dismissed.

Of course, the Demons should have a choice for rather they want to be summoned or not, and the Summoners shouldn't be able to summon more Demons back to back. Since I don't know much else about the magical skills and the stargates, I can't really think of any other restrictions there should be to not make this easy to accomplish.

@Fi said in Summon Fellow Demon Players Ability:

This is a neat idea I would really like this to be a thing for the Conjuration and Necromancy schools of magic as a summoning ritual as long as the Summoners suffer something in exchange for summoning a Demon, and the Demon still has some semblance of free will—enough free will to kill their Summoners if desired.

I believe summoning a Demon should require three to six Summoners of near equal proficiency in Conjuration and Necromancy as each other, but I'm undecided on rather the Summoners should be able to bend the will of the Demon to keep it behaved and obedient (if they are stronger than the summoned Demon) and rather the Demon should receive some sort of buff that allows them to persist on Syndesia longer than they normally would before they are dismissed.

Of course, the Demons should have a choice for rather they want to be summoned or not, and the Summoners shouldn't be able to summon more Demons back to back. Since I don't know much else about the magical skills and the stargates, I can't really think of any other restrictions there should be to not make this easy to accomplish.

there could be a 'fight' of some sort but i doubt the demon could be able to kill the other. i'm not seeing how necromancy would be a required skill when summoner would probably exist in game.

in the spirit of world of warcraft, 1 of the summoners could die (randomly) during the ceremony! Maybe in the same spirit, the Demon would be free to attack the summoners while 1 of them tried to enslave. ideally you'd want a tank (or someone with taunt), and a few healers as well at the summoner/necromancer that would enslave the demon.

(I'm really like this idea again \o/)

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

there could be a 'fight' of some sort but i doubt the demon could be able to kill the other. i'm not seeing how necromancy would be a required skill when summoner would probably exist in game.

in the spirit of world of warcraft, 1 of the summoners could die (randomly) during the ceremony! Maybe in the same spirit, the Demon would be free to attack the summoners while 1 of them tried to enslave. ideally you'd want a tank (or someone with taunt), and a few healers as well at the summoner/necromancer that would enslave the demon.

(I'm really like this idea again \o/)

I listed it as a requirement because Conjuration and Necromancy would make a lovely Warlock and the latter school of magic has element of darkness to it which involves summoning and reanimation of unholy creatures in addition to your usual AoE or single-target spells which normally consists of DoTs and detriments, and because I don't want this to be easy to do with just one school of magic.

Are you referring to Ritual of Doom?

This was the archetype and summoning ritual was following when I mentioned Conjuration and Necromancy being a requirement in addition to the risks of attempting to summon a Demon.

@Fi
    I'm not seeing reanimation on a summons from another 'dimension/world'.

the spell itself could have multiple requirements to learn. which could be all schools. the cast time could be lengthy too, lets say 30 minutes of no damage at all and can't be done in a city. and the cooldown could be lengthy too like a week or whatever to make it inconvenient. Then we can add reagents required for summoning which could require a near full inventory. and you toss in 1 or 2 people dying in the ceremony.

yes RoD is what i was referring to.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Fi

the spell itself could have multiple requirements to learn. which could be all schools. the cast time could be lengthy too, lets say 30 minutes of no damage at all and can't be done in a city. and the cooldown could be lengthy too like a week or whatever to make it inconvenient. Then we can add reagents required for summoning which could require a near full inventory. and you toss in 1 or 2 people dying in the ceremony.

You're also not seeing that I referred to both skills being a requirement to fork off into new abilities or spells for that combination—one of which being the ability to summon an unholy Player character, be it a Demon or an Abomination, to Arboreus (good luck there) or Syndesia.

It makes no sense for the ability to summon an unholy Player character to need requirements across all the schools of magic—even Restoration, but I can get behind the idea of reagents.

the spell itself could have multiple requirements to learn.

I'm thinking it's not the skills themselves but the "knowledge". The teleportation/summoning could be interpreted as moving the body and spirit, through space/time and needing to reassemble it all. Restoration could be to repair any holes in the body from any oops.

maybe reagents are rare enough that it cant be used every day. but i'm not sure how useful that would be.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

It would be really cool if initially you can only summon 1 fellow demon.
    However during their moon event a demon can summon a group of demons.

@Fi

yes RoD is what i was referring to.

you post this... then procede to post this...

the spell itself could have multiple requirements to learn.

I'm thinking it's not the skills themselves but the "knowledge". The teleportation/summoning could be interpreted as moving the body and spirit, through space/time and needing to reassemble it all. Restoration could be to repair any holes in the body from any oops.

maybe reagents are rare enough that it cant be used every day. but i'm not sure how useful that would be.

you literally shot down the whole reanimation gimmick... and then explained exactly what it is and that it is neccissary?

If thry are to implemwnt this... and the whole travelling between worlds has some kind of cooldown... perhaps the idea of summoning a demon could proc said cooldown for the demon, and they spawn in 'desired' location, rather than in a completely random spot on the planet (or your typical set spawn zones if they have any). If there are requirements to travel to a new planet, perhaps the demon has to meet ALL of them, and so rather than being some kind of invasion feature, it is actually just a sort of... something cool?

Doing it this way would maintain the difficulty of traversing between planets and also limit it to players that were going to potentially travel already in the first place. Demons could have a choice to either spawn randomly or spawn via summon when they go an attempt to travel, rather than pinging completely random players that meet the requirements, but are just going about their own business.

The risk a human would face is how potentially long it might take for a demon to want to be summoned (as they would be casting for that long). If they are hit while casting, they could get a 10 or 20 second stun as a reward for their devious work, in which a player can attempt to knock them out. This would prevent them from being able to just drop the summon and run off. Or perhaps add a skill cooldown to remove the summon casting instead even.

I wouldn't go so far to say that summoning would be the only way for a demon to travel though (as much as it could be possible). It would be really frustrating for a player that wanted to travel as a demon if they ended up having to wait like 35 minutes coz no humans wanted to summon a demon.

Or even limit it to only summoning by a player name specifically. Could be a way to travel with friends or guild mates and bring up some interesting strategies.

Or even, limit summoning a demon to only demons on the same planet as you are.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

It has to be a summoning circle! That would be actually cool. You perform an unholy ritual and you create a summoning circle and through it you bind the summoned demon-player to yourself and are able to control it through the ability to unsummon it at any moment.

But it has to be a summoning circle, or I won't be summoned. We, demons, have standards.

@Xzait

there's a difference between a spell summoning 1 demon vs an invasion vs the portal (maybe similar to a stargate).

the summon would mean the demon is friendly to the land and wont be attacked. they could get knowledge this way and it isn't permanent. the summon could be a few minutes with longer duration based on rank.

Remember that people will onlybe able to carry their inventory load through main portals, so no summoning with full bag for sure. 😉 That would get exploity real fast.

@Gothix

the demon is summoned without 'armor' (underwear only) and has to be geared by the summoner! the gear is removed to the summoner when the time is up. the demon returns without said gear.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Gothix said in Summon Fellow Demon Players Ability:

Remember that people will onlybe able to carry their inventory load through main portals, so no summoning with full bag for sure. 😉 That would get exploity real fast.

Does the "no summoning with full bag" include any gear the Traveler is wearing?

I'd really like for the Demons being summoned to keep what their wearing, so they can actually have a chance to kill the Summoners if they choose to do so while they're weakened from the ritual—before they try to bind or control the Demon, that is.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Gothix

the demon is summoned without 'armor' (underwear only) and has to be geared by the summoner! the gear is removed to the summoner when the time is up. the demon returns without said gear.

Hey! That's sexual harassment at work! Our Summoned Demons Union won't stand for it! 👿

@deusex2 said in Summon Fellow Demon Players Ability:

@Gothix

Hey! That's sexual harassment at work! Our Summoned Demons Union won't stand for it! 👿

it's only that if just the "female" demons are sent in underwear.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

No, that would be sexual discrimination.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@islesofurth said in Summon Fellow Demon Players Ability:

No, that would be sexual discrimination.

No, that would be a good idea!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured