Int, is the most important crafting stat!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

So, enchanting and alchemy both use Intelligence to improve items
    As far as I know strength does not effect how well you can Smith items.

So the best crafters will always be Intelligence based, with this in mind.

I Hope strength Will improve smithing and metal work outcomes, dexterity should improve jewelry crafting and sewing garments

Wisdom could help you bless weapons and armour

Each stat could have it's own use yeah.

Blacksmith-ing could certainly use strength (endurance), since you have to hit that metal pretty hard.
    Dexterity, as you said, for creating small objects of any kind.
    Perception for processing one thing into another thing, could affect the efficiency of processing.
    Wisdom for creating a complex item, out of multiple simpler items.

etc.

@Gothix I cant think of something for constitution, possibly linked with end game alchemy like, sacrificed life to make philosophers stones

Hmm perhaps constitution could affect the number of items you can craft per unit of time when using workbenches (save you time).

You are larger, so you can hold more of material in your hands? 😄

Or if constitution makes you able to endure more hardship (stand near fire longer, and stuff like that), it could produce same effect. Save you time in some way because you can endure more exhausting job over period of time.

Or if crafting drains your HP, till you are tired and not able to craft anymore, then constitution can naturally make you able to craft longer then player with lower constitution.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Honestly, I'd rather crafting be stat independent, but rather station dependent.

I've never really been fond of the starting attribute build system, since it forces new players into a big decision before they personally have the in-game experience to understand it.

Sure, they can go look up cookie-cutter builds, but the new players still won't fully understand how it will affect their own playstyle, and either way, I don't like telling new players to go to an external source before playing.

Anyway, given that we've got the system, I do like the OP's suggestion. 🙂

@Roccandil hopefully the devs will consider adding quick tips notes over the stats explaining there uses, eg strength primary stat for warfare, martial art abilitys and smithing
    Constitution primary stat for warfare abilitys, and increases crafting produce
    So on and so forth

what if stats are gained or lost based on what you do instead of stat allotment at the beginning of the game.

if you blacksmith then you'll naturally gain strength. if you sew (tailor) then you'll naturally gain dexterity.
    if you swing a 2h sword then strength will naturally increase. cast spells then you'll naturally increase your intelligence.

this also prevents instant 'best builds' for starting characters.

@Jetah said in Int, is the most important crafting stat!:

what if stats are gained or lost based on what you do instead of stat allotment at the beginning of the game.

if you blacksmith then you'll naturally gain strength. if you sew (tailor) then you'll naturally gain dexterity.
    if you swing a 2h sword then strength will naturally increase. cast spells then you'll naturally increase your intelligence.

this also prevents instant 'best builds' for starting characters.

I love progression and things to grind, but likely the dev team wont go for this kind of stat boost unless it was tiny, because they want everyone to be on about the same strength no matter how long you have played for

@Xzoviac

they never will be equal though. the veteran has game experience, they'll know how well the character is against others. the new player wont. I have this same problem being silver portrait in Overwatch. The new players dont know game mechanics that I do.

it also means new players might be better for doing mundane stuff like turning ore into ingots, while the experienced player turns those ingots into goods.

• @Gothix Everyone knows a alchemist must taste test to get it right and make new discoveries 🙂 A good constitution would be wise for that.

Wouldn't that be something to adjust and discuss in/during beta, when the game is feature complete and one can really evaluate and compare the concrete usefulness of stats?

@Logain said in Int, is the most important crafting stat!:

Wouldn't that be something to adjust and discuss in/during beta, when the game is feature complete and one can really evaluate and compare the concrete usefulness of stats?

Defenitly will be more important later, but preemptively finding potential issues is helpful, and hopefully the discussion will be interesting and help change perspectives

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Hawkenser said in Int, is the most important crafting stat!:

@Gothix Everyone knows a alchemist must taste test to get it right and make new discoveries 🙂 A good constitution would be wise for that.

He doesn't have to test in on himself, though...Which is why strength can come in handy 😉

And I still maintain my stance that crafting shouldn't be stat related.

Instead, it would've been much better if it were circumstance related.

For example, let's say you want to craft Epic Armor of Blessed Epicness. Under stat dependency, you'd need to have a certain stat threshold, in order to be able to craft it, which is boring and it forces you into not playing the character the way you like it.

On the other hand, in case crafting is circumstance related, then to craft Epic Armor of Blessed Epicness, you'd need to pick the right location for crafting, and start crafting at the right day/night time, and you'd need a special crafting station, built not just from any material, but from a special metal, which comes from a specific location(not just any iron, for example).

Now, getting the materials is an adventure, in on itself, let alone being able to keep the plot of land at the right location. Anybody can do it, and many will do it...Or die trying...

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@deusex2

I'd much prefer this too... Your combat build shouldn't influence or predetermine which crafting school you decide to focus on.

@deusex2

I'd like to see that kind of system replace attributes entirely. To borrow from the horizontal progression system, maybe make attributes unlockable via certain tasks. So, while smithing wouldn't generically increase a stat, completing a simple, specific smithing-related task might +1 your strength (one time).

Granted, that's not horizontal, nor would it allow new players to hop right in. Maybe just have attributes be on gear, kinda like Albion: you are what you wear?

Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that INT is a problem when it's the primary attribute for every craft? I'd prefer to let DS know now than when it's in beta and harder to change the UI and other systems.

(...)Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that INT is a problem when it's the primary attribute for every craft?

The problem with finding a problem (pun intended) before a game is feature complete is simply that you can not properly weight different functionality by that point in time. Frequency of appearance is only one factor.

(...)I'd prefer to let DS know now than when it's in beta and harder to change the UI and other systems.

Given an object oriented approach, there's nothing more trivial than that. Even on a functional programming design, that is far from a challenge.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that INT is a problem when it's the primary attribute for every craft? I'd prefer to let DS know now than when it's in beta and harder to change the UI and other systems.

All the more the reason to not link crafting to stats. Or, at the very least, make it so stats would influence crafting completion time.

I'd prefer that stats not weigh in heavily for anything that you do. I'd like them to only give minor bonuses/penalties when affecting skill outcomes. How skilled you are should determine if you succeed or fail in my opinion.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured