How long ago was Elysium destroyed?

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I wonder how much time passed since the 3 planets were formed. Since magic was involved it is hard to guess.

• This post is deleted!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Meiki said in How long ago was Elysium destroyed?:

Well I do not think any mortal remembers it, maybe try asking one of the Gods themselves, but they will probably not be willing to speak about it.

Or we could ask devs.. 😅

@Sindariya said in How long ago was Elysium destroyed?:

I wonder how much time passed since the 3 planets were formed. Since magic was involved it is hard to guess.

This is interesting question, because if we think this from scientific point of view, it may have took millions (even hundreds of millions) of years to shape the fragments to planets. Sooo I guess there is a good amount of magic involved to shorten this time to almost "non-exist".

I am personally always interested of the lore in games, because that makes the world usually much more believable and explains a lot of things and happenings ingame.

@Tuoni said in How long ago was Elysium destroyed?:

Or we could ask devs.. 😅

That's what @Meiki said, ask the gods. 😉

@Gothix said in How long ago was Elysium destroyed?:

Or we could ask devs.. 😅

That's what @Meiki said, ask the gods. 😉

🤣

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Sindariya said in How long ago was Elysium destroyed?:

This is interesting question, because if we think this from scientific point of view, it may have took millions (even hundreds of millions) of years to shape the fragments to planets. Sooo I guess there is a good amount of magic involved to shorten this time to almost "non-exist".

I am personally always interested of the lore in games, because that makes the world usually much more believable and explains a lot of things and happenings ingame.

Next to the lore I like to plan my char, his backstory and so his motivations for the future. So if the crash of Elysium is just 100 years ago than there is different motivation than 500 years ago.
    But since there are not many towns back to the world and we can assume that it is not that long ago. Or if it is already that long ago, why are there still only a few towns? Why is our generation now the one that conqueres the world once again? I hope we will have a lore spotlight sometime in the future but so far I can start thinking on my own if I would now a number.

So @Prometheus can you give us please a rough number years since the destruction of Elysium?

• This post is deleted!

Unfortunately at this time Fractured is pretty lore light game which iirc was intentional on the dev's part so they could concentrate on actually making the game. This is the one thing that I wish could be addressed by I do understand the reasons why it is so.

Also @Tuoni please don't try to bring too much science into my game. I find it ironic when folks talk about 'not being scientific' or 'realistic' in my fantasy game 😉

@Gibbx said in How long ago was Elysium destroyed?:

Also @Tuoni please don't try to bring too much science into my game. I find it ironic when folks talk about 'not being scientific' or 'realistic' in my fantasy game 😉

Well there is a huge difference between fantasy and non-sense genre. Fantasy does not mean everything unnatural or supernatural can be explained by magic, fantasy still have rules to be fantasy and especially believable. 😉

EDIT: This case is of course not so black and white (fantasy and nonsense) what I wrote at first place. There is differencies and a lot of levels between those two.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

So the consensus is "we don't know at this point" but ultimately I don't think the answer will matter in the larger scheme of things until we have historical events in the lore to give a frame of reference.

Unfortunately at this time Fractured is pretty lore light game which iirc was intentional on the dev's part so they could concentrate on actually making the game. This is the one thing that I wish could be addressed by I do understand the reasons why it is so.

Game can of course be lore light, but the lore you introduce needs to be thought well and whole. It is not enough to tell people, that there was this fractured once, which destroyed a planet and divided it to three different new planets. If you leave that backgroud story there without any explanations or reasons, it only causes reaction "what the hell?" And like I said in my post: "..I guess there is a good amount of magic involved to shorten this time.." So even I popped up the realism, I still told how this will be handled with help of fantasy and magic. The most crucial part is to explain why the time is so short and how those supernatural powers were involved. That explanation should be believable and in line with other supernatural magic powers in the game. Otherwise there might occur contradictions, which can change interesting concepts to more like something weird.

Yeah I guess you are right. Too much science ivolved would be more like science fiction than fantasy. My problem is that I have gathered too much information related how to write fantasy or build a fantasy world, so nowadays it is hard to me just enjoy the ride, because I automatically start to analize and examine the fantasy world very critically. 😅

• This post is deleted!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Belligero said in How long ago was Elysium destroyed?:

So the consensus is "we don't know at this point" but ultimately I don't think the answer will matter in the larger scheme of things until we have historical events in the lore to give a frame of reference.

I think it does matter for all roleplayers and those that want to create a town. If you bought the higher pledges you start with an existing town and that could have already its own history (perhaps coming from another game). Your guild could have a long history or the family you are from.
    For me it matters and thats why I asked the question now. I have no issue getting more details of the lore later or have to discover it ingame, but some things can be revealed earlier. Even if they don't know every detail of the lore yet, they should have already some key points to the story.

At one time 3 gods were friends and have ruled Elysium together.

But than something happened that drew a wedge between them and godly conflict between them emerged that in the end resulted in colosal natural disaster that fractured the world in 3 parts.

Gods split their ways and went to rule each own newly formed planet.

Over time their conflict became less direct but more transfered onto people that now follow them and fight in their name.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Well there is a huge difference between fantasy and non-sense genre.

Absolutely not! The latter is the most classic manifestation of the former.

All modern fantasy derives from legends built upon MacGuffins and Deus Ex Machinae which are, inherently, nonsense; to this day, fantasy work ranging from Harry Potter to My Little Pony still contains this sort of Forces of Good ass-pulling ("Gosh, good thing the Tree of Harmony decided we were Very Good Friends and - as it could apparently have done at any point in time - mystically stopped the preteen maniac from stealing all magic in Equestria through... however that worked to begin with") and remains largely divested from any sort of "believability" or, at times, even basic comprehension.

You are probably thinking of the (very modern) distinction of "low" and "high" fantasy. The former adds fantasy elements to what is otherwise presented as "the real world" (e.g. Harry Potter, Supernatural, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, The SCP Foundation), whereas the latter presents a completely alternate world strongly at odds with "the real world" from its very conception (e.g. My Little Pony, Kirby, Super Mario, most Final Fantasy settings). Of course, neither of these is inherently more "believable" than the other - all of the examples I've cited use absolutely nuts magic, and The SCP Foundation explicitly highlights how "anomalous" (i.e. nonsense) its physics- and reason-defying monsters are.

But on precisely the inverse note, please take care not to suffer the Dungeon Master's Fallacy. Every event, myth, and legend does not need to give you its full Akashic record of causes and effects on introduction to qualify itself as Good Lore and save itself from the grasp of "well that's dumb how did that happen". Obviously, if the surviving myth spoken of between the people is something like "It is said Holy Lord Bigsword yelled very very loud and cleaved the Big Evil Dragon into six Little Good Dragons", this is probably a simplification or a metaphor, or fabricated entirely, and the real events (if ever detailed) will turn out differently.

@FibS Lets stay with Fractured and where it stands as a fantasy MMORPG game. And lets be more precise with that so there won't be missunderstandings. I think high fantasy game would be the best category for Fractured. In high fantasy genre it is typical, that the whole fantasy world is done very detailed. So the world has history, mythology, mythical creatures, flora&fauna and maybe even languages. Now all these parts needs to go well together and follow the same rules. And when I am speaking of believable world, it is the feeling, impression and sense of meaning what player gets when playing the game.

I am not suffering from any "Dungeon Master's Fallacy" here, and asking every record from everything. We were talking about the Fractured, the main event of the history. I do not know about you, but imho it is really crucial to open up at least that part of lore.

@Tuoni I agree with you on this. High fantasy only needs to have consistent rules. The 'scientific' rules that govern such realms to not have to fit IRL science, they only have be consistent within the game world. I find it ironic that when I cast a level 5 fireball to immolate a group of Gnolls that someone wants to start arguing about physics demands how that fireball would spread... Fantasy always depends on s certain amount of suspension of belief. That suspension just needs to be consistent.

That being said, if Fractured could flesh out the lore a little more, it would help with that necessary suspension of belief. OFC finishing the game is more important.

@Tuoni I agree with you on this. High fantasy only needs to have consistent rules. The 'scientific' rules that govern such realms to not have to fit IRL science, they only have be consistent within the game world. I find it ironic that when I cast a level 5 fireball to immolate a group of Gnolls that someone wants to start arguing about physics demands how that fireball would spread... Fantasy always depends on s certain amount of suspension of belief. That suspension just needs to be consistent.

That being said, if Fractured could flesh out the lore a little more, it would help with that necessary suspension of belief. OFC finishing the game is more important.

I should been more precise with my point at the first place so it lead to some misunderstandings. Sorry about that.

You are right that arguing about fireball's physics goes really micro level stuff and needs less or none attention.

If you wanted this to be consistent with fantasy genre, then same fireball spell would not cast out the same every time.

If you read books, watch movies, or whatever, you will see that spell efficiency always depends on characters current mood, fatique, strength of will, if he remembers what his father told him once when his was a kid and he becomes emotionally more aggitated... etc. etc.

If we transfer these rules to Fractured, your spell casts could probably depend not only on what you cast, but, on how long ago have you eaten food, are you hungry or thirsty, have enemies just killed your best friend in front of your eyes, are you currently running or standing still... how long have you been running already... was you abused as a kid (ganked a lot) when you started playing...

It's would simply be too much to develop a game taking into account ALL of this, and secondly and more importantly... it would NOT BE FUN playing a game that is this much complex....

People want to relax while playing and not think about 100 factors that affect their current fire ball cast.

This is why many things are simplified, and not care about being 100% consistent.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured