Different servers or just a big one?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Probably I've missed that info, but I've not found anything about that: there will be many different servers (like in WoW, DaoC or UO) or just a big one?

If there will be different servers to avoid overflow into a single one, there will be some difference between them? Since PvE and PvP are already divided by the structure of the World itself, maybe something like "roleplaying server" may be a thing?

• Wiki Editor

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@kellewic Thanks for that!

They didn't mention if there will be different kind of servers (some with roleplaying or with certain specific limitations and so on) or all will be the same, just split up into different region and localization.
    I know that's probably a very niche question and at 99% there will be no difference from one server to the other, but I think it's worth asking at last.

• Wiki Editor

@lightspoon I haven't seen any information the servers will be different (RP, etc.); just different locations.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@Lightspoon We had this topic more than once about servers😉. Planets could be considered like 3 players modality : full pve (Arboreus), full pvp (Tartaros) and pve-pvp (Syndesia). RP can be done on all the 3 planets without the need of a RP dedicated server.

Last info is the start would be on NA server, and since Dynamic Studio have obtained the GIP program they could

... run large scale deployments of our world, featuring thousands of creature AIs and simulated players, to test the scalability and stability of our backend. We can use all the CPU, memory, storage and bandwidth needed without paying for it – which, given our tight budget, is truly a blessing. Thanks to the Games Innovation Program, we can make sure Fractured will be ready to sustain the (hopefully) large influx of players at the start of Alpha 1 and beyond!

Don't know if they have planned to test multi-localization server on alpha/beta, but better to concentrate on one at first.. @Prometheus says ping is not a problem from Italy to NA...

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@gofrit said in Different servers or just a big one?:

@Lightspoon RP can be done on all the 3 planets without the need of a RP dedicated server.

Well it can be hard to go even in a light RP if other people around are not interested in it. A dedicated server will ensure that those there are willing to follow certain rules. Considering the peculiar lore of Fractured and the already baseline distinction between PvE and PvP, I just thought that an RP-safe zone could be a nice addition but I understand that is something niche and for sure not a priority in this stage of development (and that's totally right).

Aside from that, during the Alpha I agree that is pointless to test so early different localization, since it's most of a technical test. But for advanced Beta and release I really hope that different localized servers will be up: connection issue may be frustrating for the players to deal with.

• Community Manager

@lightspoon There are no plans for RP specific servers or anything like that.

@gofrit

Don't know if they have planned to test multi-localization server on alpha/beta, but better to concentrate on one at first.. @Prometheus says ping is not a problem from Italy to NA...

The devs will start with one server at first. If players from certain regions are having latency issues, they will consider opening more servers.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@specter I understand that servers in different regions have a major impact on the budget, but at last one for the US and one for EU, imho, are needed from the start: while I've no doubt that if the Devs said that they'll consider to implement localized servers when players will have connection issue, remember that the release and the first months of an online game are often crucial for its success.
    If tons of players will experience major problem with lag and ping, when an EU server will be up tons of them may have already dropped Fractured and in the meanwhile a "bad reputation" start spreading around, leading away potential new players.

• Community Manager

@lightspoon They will determine whether localised servers are needed during the alpha/beta, not after release. 😉

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Probably 1 server will be sufficient to test the alpha stage of the game, but in the future may need servers localised from the beta. ✌

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@gofrit
    For those in NZ on the other side of the planet to Italy, it is good to see the DEV map also shows a server is eventually planned for AU. A typical AU server gives me a ping of 80 -100 in NZ, whereas an NA/EU server is down around 240+ on a good day, and although still playable, it is hovering around the limit for effective ARPG play and I sometimes notice a slight nerf effect ( my excuse for a bad game). I have just upgraded to an i5-8400, RX580 rig with Freesync 144hz monitor and that really helps with input lag though.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@thwunk you know, i did'nt say no other server will be needed, only to focus on one to don't expand debugging work with latency issue☺. In more if you look to the GIP project obtained by DS :

The program awards SpatialOS credits that will cover SpatialOS and Google Cloud usage costs, including underlying server fees, during development.

So opening a new server in period development won't be "so difficult".
    So if you're in New Zealand, how is the ping to a North American server East/West coast to a diablo-like game (not to a 3d mmorpg) ?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured