daily maintenance

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Kairos sits back, cracks a beer, and leaves it to @Logan to field this one.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@evolgrinz said in daily maintenance:

Or they can do like GW2 and have several servers create a mega server. And do maintenance on 1 of the sub servers at a time. With the result that the game will never go offline for server maintenance and the ability to support multiple versions of the game. Meaning that when the game is updated, players don't get kicked out of the game but have several hours to finish what they were doing before forced out of the game.

What you do in GW2 does not really impact the world. When you leave the server that is going down, you leave dynamic events in a certain state and you are on a certain location. You enter the new server at the same location but with dynamic events in other states. This does not matter in GW2. At worst you get killed quickly, but don't loose anything.

In Fractured you don't want to build a house, switch servers and find that the house hasn't been build.

The problem with backups is that you need to back up everything at the same time: user location, user inventory, constructions that have been build, ... The easiest way of doing that is to shut down everything and then take a backup. But that means that when you need to restore, you lose everything since the last backup. You can also archive all changes since the last backup. But restoring those is a lot slower than restoring a simple backup.

If you never shut down, everything that requires consistency, at the same time you'll end up with things like: a house hasn't been build but the resources are gone; an item is removed from player A's inventory but isn't in player B's inventor. I don't know how GW2 can pull that last one of without getting inconsistencies.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I would rather have weekly than daily server maintenance, and preferably during a week day

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I'd be cool with daily maintenance provided it does not take too much time. If it's done every day that it can be done quickly right? 😉

Weekly is fine too.

I guess devs will see what is the best for the game performance and implement that.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured