Mount Questions

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I've seen MMOs that made the mount a summonable that disappeared upon dismissal (like WoW), and I've seen MMOs where mounts are a permanent that can be damaged without proper care (like BDO).

Personally, I hope that they have mount permanence as I feel it adds a level of immersion, but I was wondering what everyone else's opinions are? Also, I was wondering if there was any word on it that I just haven't seen yet?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@alduinne Can't Quote the phrase from the text, but we were told that when creating a character, are we all getting a mount (like some of the streams)

I would prefer mount is permanent like in BDO.

Why? Because this will be a full loot MMO where you will need to transport resources from departure point to destination, collect them while you grind and you can be looted in PvP in any time.

This is why I feel it would not be appropriate to just be able to summon your mule / cart / mount wherever you wish, you should have to take it with you as you go.

I wouldn't let a mount be killable though. Lootable, yes, if someone kills you then he gets to steal resources both from your body and from your mount, but your mount should stay in place where it was, and you would need to go to re pick it at that location.

You could invest in having several mounts, and keep em at stables, so if situation is that it's far away where you left one mount, you could pick up other one that waits in your home, ride it to other mount, tie other mount to your first mount, and lead them both back home, for example.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Permanent. Not only does it add a lot of possibilities to things. That goes from combat mobility being a risk with mounts, to things like people running stables where you can keep your mounts with less risk, to caravans and breeding being important.

With systems that just let the mount vanish, those aspects are usually minimal or RNG heavy at best as people grind for rare versions of mounts, or they are spammed at us as a sale item. Which leaves that other stuff completely gone.

I would say that specialty mounts, such as reward mounts, should respawn with players if both die, or at the next town/city if just the mount dies... but inventory should be left where the mount died.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

From the looks of Fractured mechanics, I would guess permanent.

I like the sound of the permanent dynamic. Would definitely float my boat.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix said in Mount Questions:

Why? Because this will be a full loot MMO where you will need to transport resources from departure point to destination, collect them while you grind and you can be looted in PvP in any time.

Well, carts don't have to be treated as mounts. Carts and like so are more of means of goods transportation. Personal mounts (which you can ride only by yourself, without any additional resources) could be summonable / unsummonable. If not for all classes then maybe for Conjurer at least ๐Ÿ˜‰

All in all, I do also hope that carts and other carriages will be permanent, but I don't have my opinion set on personal mounts. If my mount for which I cared, which I trained and fed will die, it will make me sad. And if that mount dies by the hand of any PvP ass that killed my mount without attacking me, just to ruin my day... Well, that will just make me bloody angry.

Id like if the mounts need to be with you (and not summoned) but not able to take damage (but able to be looted as per @Gothix said)
    maybe a combination of both mount and carts increases the speed of transport?

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I hope too , that Will be permanent....

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Permanent mounts seem wise, but I don't know if upkeeping them is a good thing (going back to the first post) - depends on what sort of upkeep we are talking about.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I've never played a game with permanent mounts. How does that actually work? If you leave your mount somewhere, you have to walk back to it when you want to continue using it? When you visit a tavern, there are always half a dozen horses right in front of the entrance? Does every player need his own stables to stock his other mounts?

@jozef said in Mount Questions:

I've never played a game with permanent mounts. How does that actually work? If you leave your mount somewhere, you have to walk back to it when you want to continue using it? When you visit a tavern, there are always half a dozen horses right in front of the entrance? Does every player need his own stables to stock his other mounts?

Yes, you always need to take your mount with you, and walk back to it when you leave it somewhere.

In BDO people usually left their mounts near main roads, where they wouldn't be attacked by animals, and then venture of to grind in nearby forest.

It was very immersive to see bunch of horses near the road on popular locations where many people went to harvest goods.

In BDO horses could be killed but this would negatively impact your karma if you did it, so it wasn't worth it. People were able to resurrect their horses, for a price. Public stables existed where you could leave your horse, but you needed to pick it up again when you wanted to go somewhere.

Mount was basically like part of you, you cared it to not die, and always had it with you.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

It certainly would make the game more immersive. I liked the way my horse wandered of to a through or a meadow, in the witcher 3, but even in that game you could whistle for it to appear.

Yes, you always need to take your mount with you, and walk back to it when you leave it somewhere.
    In BDO people usually left their mounts near main roads, where they wouldn't be attacked by animals, and then venture of to grind in nearby forest.
    It was very immersive to see bunch of horses near the road on popular locations where many people went to harvest goods.

How do you know which horse is yours? What if you forget where you left it?

In BDO horses could be killed but this would negatively impact your karma if you did it, so it wasn't worth it. People were able to resurrect their horses, for a price. Public stables existed where you could leave your horse, but you needed to pick it up again when you wanted to go somewhere.
    Mount was basically like part of you, you cared it to not die, and always had it with you.

What happens when you tumbled of a cliff with your horse? Does that cost you money?

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@jozef How do you know which horse is yours? What if you forget where you left it?

Pulls out a fob, clicks a button - one of the horses whinies

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@therippyone
    In Black Desert Online the mount had a giant display above it to tell you which one it was. I think BDO took it a little too far, as you did have to feed them to keep their stamina up (but they wouldn't die of starvation) and they had a giant horse breeding system in place to get a better mount.

I did love the permanent mounts, though, as it made you feel like you actually had a thing to keep track of instead of just having something pop out of thin air (which I felt kind of took you out of the moment). Also, the animations of mounting up, running through a field of monsters and watching your mounts health, and having to leave them with a stable keeper or run back to them - all of those things are things I would absolutely love to see put in Fractured because they are just... improvements in my opinion to the mount system.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@jozef
    You know which horse is yours based on a giant display... which I wasn't huge on, but I think some kind of display or light would work well.

If you tumbled off of a cliff or your mount died in game you would have to pay money to the nearest stablekeep to resurrect it - and it would harm its breeding potential. It was costly, but not irreversible.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@dybuk

Thankfully in BDO you lost Karma for killing peoples mounts - so people were pretty damn good at not killing each others mounts like dicks. It happened, but rarely. Like super rarely. 2 years playing almost and it's happened to me once and the guy got banned for ganking and hacking.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@therippyone I know you're joking, but I'd be very ok with having a whistle or somesuch that pinged my mount or called it out of a crowd. Then you wouldn't have to have the neon sign names or anything, just a map marker for the general location.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Gothix @Alduinne
    Thanks for the input! That way of handling mounts in game would be really good. Add to this a possibility to breed, tame and sell mounts to other people and we have a new brand of merchants.

I do hope that there will be artificial mounts on Syndesia though - steam machines, crude but working.
    They could require a fuel to make them more immersive ๐Ÿ™‚

i think the mounts should be persistent in the world, not only, i think that they should be able to die and be stolen.

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured