[Discussion] Ingame currency system, what we want to get?

• Community Manager

@muker The carpenter is just for convenience. Those who don't have it will have to maintain their house manually.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@specter So, 1 more question: the Carpenter who will serve the house will need your materials or not?

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@muker I think yes, it logical for a sandbox fully regulated by players. if not, that means the system will create resource trough the carpenter

• Community Manager

@muker They do not need materials.

@specter So... Let's say the developers will also be bidders and will place their "special awards" for the road price. If we can see the VIP or the carpenter. (Yes this is a reference to WoW with the tokens for a month of the game)
    bad idea. This will make the game grind...
    Although, therefore, guildmaster will be able to reward their best workers
    A very controversial thing. On the one hand the grind, on the other reward for the efforts (if the Guild master honest).
    But! You said these things would only make the gameplay easier, not make the imbalance

Sorry it's off topic... I thought about the carpenters for a month, which we promised in the sets of kickstarter and.... Why can't the players be carpenters? Just... I built the whole house! Why can't I do it about?

Sorry for the question, I just did not read it in 7 news about the city, governors and politics, as decided to postpone its reading at the time of my transfer. Yes, now I've read and understood.

Wait, if all items are created by players, who makes the currency?

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@cinnao we don’t know and that why we are dabating 😉
    but if there is already a system, @Prometheus can you explain us?

@cinnao The currency can be at the NPS, found in treasures, created by players melting ore?
    Mb @Specter us a little enlighten

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@muker said in [Discussion] Ingame currency system, what we want to get?:

melting ore

that sound like a great idea to make the mining very interessting 🙂

@suruq Not really, because then in fact the number of coins will correspond to the number of types of ore, since each has its own price. Take copper, silver, gold. Copper 1 currency, Silver 3 currency, gold 7 currency. And how many will stand coin with the other ore. And again a lot of types of currency of different values. What it will wear the player?

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@muker you can just say copper is the basic currency and the others ores (not raffined) have specific value, set by player and market bid, like in the real world 😉

@suruq Yes Yes Yes... it's just my head can't process information... I'm translating the latest news right now, and that's HELL.0_1532204854235_99457af1-c1d7-4d44-88ca-f9669100bd67-image.png

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@muker don’t wory and take a divine quest to become a angel and escape from hell 😆

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@suruq Bronze/ Silber/ Gold/ Platinium/ Oridicon/ Elunium/ Adamantite.

In increases of 100.
    So 100 bronze is 1 Silber, etc.

Which makes it easyer to handle large amounts of money.
    Bronze would be cents.
    Silber would be dollars.
    Gold would be big papermoney.
    Platinium would be IOU.
    Etc.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I learned from the "path of exile" that where there is trade there is a coin. If it is not invented by developers, players use anything to make the trade work. Just as the real economy should be if governments did not have this monopoly.

The most successful currency system for a MMOs have always been gold / silver / copper system. It just fits nicely in medival / fantasy environment.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@blackjacksjc said in [Discussion] Ingame currency system, what we want to get?:

I learned from the "path of exile" that where there is trade there is a coin. If it is not invented by developers, players use anything to make the trade work. Just as the real economy should be if governments did not have this monopoly.

Governments didn't invent currency. People started trading using rare useless easy to use things, like gold. But even gold was inconvenient for merchants, so they invented I-owe-you papers that later on turned into paper money. Those I-owe-you are only useful if everyone accepts them, that's why governments usually control them. In countries where the government isn't capable of running their own currency, people start using foreign currencies, usually US$.

Having to carry around several player invented currencies seems very difficult in a game where inventory is limited by weight and most items don't stack. Imagine I'm a new player and I want some armor and weapons. First I need to gather money, for instance by killing rabbits. I assume rabbits won't drop swords or gold, but meat and fur. I could sell the meat and fur to players who craft food and leather. If there is no official currency, they would pay me in food and leather. I could sell that leather to a player who pays me back in leather armor. I could then sell that food to a player who has crafted a weapon and needs food. For each of those transactions I would need to find a player (or his NPC at the town market) that needs what I have and that has what I need. If we invent our own currencies, it would have to be something stack-able (most items won't be in this game), something that can fit in players inventory (so no wood or ores), something rare (not something that can easily by harvested to avoid inflation), something durable (food will rot) and something that is otherwise useless (not something you need for crafting). Maybe the devs could add a rare, useless, stack-able, durable, light-weight resource, like gold or sea-shells. But how are we going to pay the NPC guards protecting our towns in sea-shells?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

The chief problem with Path of Exile's idiotic currency system is, as @jozef pointed out, that currency items take up inventory space and are subject to stack limitations, which is a nightmare both for regular gameplay and for managing inventory or bank storage. Path of Exile is effectively unplayable unless you shell out the cash for the Currency Tab, thus effectively turning it into a bank system, so why don't you just use a regular bank that has worked for every other MMO in history?

The other problem is that currency items are just a superficial cop-out. It doesn't matter whether the money is floating gold/silver/copper currency or are actual coins sitting in your inventory, the effect and dynamics are just exactly the same - there is always a standard denominator that all other currency converts to. In Path of Exile's case these are Chaos Orbs.

It's essentially an imaginary "innovation" whose only changes to gameplay are bad ones.

As for the economic and politics of governmental fiat currency, they were invented specifically because the barter system was not sustainable. Older coins had worth directly proportionate to their content (e.g. how much gold was in them), which was not consistent or predictable as we can see from the extremely unstable gold and silver markets today. They were also subject to political whining and willful sabotage - in the historic US, rich bankers preferred a gold standard while poorer farmers preferred a silver standard and this was the foremost political topic for many years.

The solution was to use neither, and instead establish a credit system founded on cheap materials - whose material worth was always far less than a bill's or coin's face value - as a symbol of credit or debt. This is similar to how your balance in a bank account is not real money that really exists, it is a representation of how much the bank owes you. Depositing into an account is literally lending money to a bank, and similarly, holding dollar bills in your hand is holding a sort of public debt that you can trade with others.

Fiat currency is, consequently, largely unaffected by the scarcity or demand for its production materials; its inflation is affected by the raw amount of bills or coins in circulation and how much the rest of the world cares about the country that mints it. This is why so many currencies are worth substantially less than the US dollar, but particular currencies from other "iconic" nations like the UK are worth more.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Why not a magic card which work like a payment card ?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@suruq said in [Discussion] Ingame currency system, what we want to get?:

Why not a magic card which work like a payment card ?

Credit cards?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured