A Delicate Question: Slavery

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@holyavengerone Well for starters, if you mean player slaves that's impossible because no player would like to be a slave and as soon as someone became one they most likely would give up on the character os something like that.
    As for NPCs slaves, doesn´t seem to fit in any of the 3 races, I mean:

• The Beastman is a peaceful and harmonious planet, so having slaves there would be complete out of the topic of the planet himself.

• The Humans are more of a civilized society with good intellect to create new technology, I don´t think slavery would fit here as well from my point of view.

• As for Demons, yeah maybe slaves can fit a little bit in here, but as some1 mentioned above, in the demon planet it's hard to survive and get food, who would waste their precious and hard gained food to sustain a slave? I don´t think anyone would. Not to mention if you implemented slavery in one planet only the people from the other planets would most likely feel jealous and start to complain. Well this is my point and my opinion 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@frost said in A Delicate Question: Slavery:

• The Humans are more of a civilized society with good intellect to create new technology, I don´t think slavery would fit here as well from my point of view.

"Contemporary slavery, also known as modern slavery, refers to the institutions of slavery that continue to exist in the present day. Estimates of the number of slaves today range from around 21 million-29 million to 46 million."

The only reason there aren't presently more slaves is because they're not cost effective as anything other than "entertainers" in societies with decent infrastructure.

alt text

Lady justice here is wearing her blindfold, so that means she's from at least the ~1600s. The architecture looks Greek, so the real world equivalent would be Greece under Ottoman rule. The Ottomans fucking loved their slaves, dude. Going back in-world it's specified the humans are still living in feudalism. Name one feudal society that didn't participate in slavery. Pro tip: you can't.

Lore-wise you could pretty easily write some form of slavery into each race's backstory... But mechanically speaking, NPC slavery could be themed as something else and remain the same. Example: rename WoW garrisons to concentration camps. Suddenly they're a lot cooler, but mechanically the same.

I'm a super mechanically focused person, so maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy, but you're arguing over if mechanics in a machine that hasn't been made yet, and you don't even have the schematics for.

@holya I said that according to the content of this game itself, not according to real life.
    But you're right, we are arguing about mechanics that the devs never even spoke about so for now let us wait for more info.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I mean, it's a game.

• DymStudios - CEO

That's a very interesting question you have here, @Fyrsey. NPC "slavery" is not a planned feature as of today.

NPCs will play a big role in Fractured - guilds will be able to attract them to their villages / towns, where they can settle and start their own businesses. They'll have proper names, be more or less skilled in different activities and - to an extent - have different personalities.

Reducing all of this to "slavery" (à la Conan Exiles) would downplay the whole system a lot 😉

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@prometheus said in A Delicate Question: Slavery:

That's a very interesting question you have here, @Fyrsey. NPC "slavery" is not a planned feature as of today.

NPCs will play a big role in Fractured - guilds will be able to attract them to their villages / towns, where they can settle and start their own businesses. They'll have proper names, be more or less skilled in different activities and - to an extent - have different personalities.

Reducing all of this to "slavery" (à la Conan Exiles) would downplay the whole system a lot 😉

I see your point, but it's not really a reduction, slaves are still individuals, always have been. And now it actually makes more sense to me thinking of how demons "attract" NPCs. It may be just a flavor, really, maybe slightly different mechanics.
    Not that I demand something, only mean that there always are ways to implement stuff. Nothing is impossible is my credo 😄

(...)NPCs (...)'ll have proper names, be more or less skilled in different activities and - to an extent - have different personalities

Are there plans that we could (maybe through a RL-currency purchase) alter NPCs, as to create custom/own quests?

• DymStudios - CEO

@fyrsey said in A Delicate Question: Slavery:

I see your point, but it's not really a reduction, slaves are still individuals, always have been.

That's for sure! What I meant by "downplaying" is that a slave NPC would be just a character who works for you - at most you would have to keep it alive. Other MMOs (such as BDO) have hired workers, but the concept is similar.

NPCs in Fractured instead have their own lives and businesses. You can't order them to do this and that. You can buy from their shops if they've setup one and it's open. If you're a regular customer and/or have a high reputation in the city they might offer you discounts at most. Just a couple examples, but you get the idea. Slaves wouldn't work in this picture.

@Logain sorry but that's not planned as of today!

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@fyrsey said in A Delicate Question: Slavery:

I see your point, but it's not really a reduction, slaves are still individuals, always have been.

That's for sure! What I meant by "downplaying" is that a slave NPC would be just a character who works for you - at most you would have to keep it alive. Other MMOs (such as BDO) have hired workers, but the concept is similar.

NPCs in Fractured instead have their own lives and businesses. You can't order them to do this and that. You can buy from their shops if they've setup one and it's open. If you're a regular customer and/or have a high reputation in the city they might offer you discounts at most. Just a couple examples, but you get the idea. Slaves wouldn't work in this picture.

@Logain sorry but that's not planned as of today!

I see, kinda like NPC's in good old Gothic, at least as I remember them.
    All right, thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Slavery is only ok if your enslaving the filthy Beastmen scum

"Demonboys are the best, way better than Humans or dirty Beastboys."
    -Dr. Phil

https://fracturedmmo.com/?refcode=67adb858788d
    https://fracturedmmo.com/guild-profile/id/90/

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@demonboyjr feel tough don't ya, especially behind a screen demon dog

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@mikey14117 i feel tough because i do squats at the gym with the bodies of dead beastmen

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured