How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

tbh i want to see shield being used actively, with some skill attached to it, like a shield bash for example, for stun, or push back

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@finland

already happens in D3 and PoE! I do like that D3 has a force move keybind so you can move without attacking, PoE still requires 1 ability slot for that =/

@gothix said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

Remember, this is click to move, press skills game.

Implementing skilled shield blocking seems not an easy thing do do in this type of game where there is no keyboard movement.

Click to move plus active blocking plus targeting stuff on ground with your spells, sounds like major pain in the ass annoying thing to do, and not like something I would play.

one of the skill shots could be..... a block with a shield!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah click to move should stay default. there should be an ability to use the shield activly.

@finland

only takes 1 key/mouse button to click to move. the others are open for shield abilities too! unless it's inherent so that middle click (or another button) grants the active block ability.

@finland a spell that reflects projectiles would be nice

@jetah said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

@finland

already happens in D3 and PoE! I do like that D3 has a force move keybind so you can move without attacking, PoE still requires 1 ability slot for that =/

@gothix said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

Remember, this is click to move, press skills game.

Implementing skilled shield blocking seems not an easy thing do do in this type of game where there is no keyboard movement.

Click to move plus active blocking plus targeting stuff on ground with your spells, sounds like major pain in the ass annoying thing to do, and not like something I would play.

one of the skill shots could be..... a block with a shield!

Yeah, but that's not what I have in mind under "skilled shield blocking". 😉

"Skilled" would be something where you have to move your character and while rotating your cam with mouse rotate shield with it and visually keep positioning it towards direction of incoming attacks.

That kinda wouldn't work with this type of game (or it would work in rudimentary way, and just be annoying and not so fun, imho).

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@dulu i think the equipment load should be a part of this but shoelds would be awesome for stuff like shield walls obviously a tower shield would give 100% protection but say a smaller viking buckler would give a 100% protection but only covers about 40% of your body so that would be a 40% chance of blocking 100% of physical attacks. magical attacks would need a ward and depending on the ward and strength of the ward depends on the amount it protects and the chance of it protecting i wouldnt make them plact holders though give em a use.

@gothix

Why would you move? Why couldn't the character just rotate in place? you're still thinking in first person or over the shoulder 3rd person point of view. Isometric view has limitations and has to be kept simple. So having a shield may add a new ability to the right mouse button for an active block. The character could move slowly toward a target firing upon them. If a 3rd person attacks the shield character then they can move the mouse so that the shield is positioned between them and the 3rd person.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah you can easly do it if the block is a spell. you keep pressed a key and you move with the mouse to the direction you like.

@finland said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

@jetah you can easly do it if the block is a spell. you keep pressed a key and you move with the mouse to the direction you like.

that's exactly what I said... block isn't a spell though!

@orical-the-exile

but a buckler is smaller and easily moveable. it's possible to block more area with a buckler. you couldn't block a dual projectile, say at your torso and legs, but you could move to not be hit by the leg projectile while protecting against the torso.

only problem I see with this is isometric games don't use the Z axis much for physics based combat.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

skill based would be really cool.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah using a shield may be considered an ability. so you can assign a keybind. passive block absolutly not

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@vicious said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

tbh i want to see shield being used actively, with some skill attached to it, like a shield bash for example, for stun, or push back

Same here, since usually some MMOs use shield for shield bashing and etc. Just like Bless Online for their class Guardian you are able to shield stun and shield bash to use the class to the full effective. If, the developers are going to add shield or a shield skill of some kind it should be for stun and or push back.

Also, nice job bringing this up, Dulu.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@jetah thats why you would balance it out my comment is just a guide to how i feel the shileds should work like a tower shield you could hide behind so if a physical attack hit it then you would have 100% chance to deflect it but then thats where the amount of damage blocked comes into it say you build it out of wood and leather like old tribe shields then if it was a slashing attack you say the shield has 20% more damage deflection than if it was a piercing attack as leather doesnt do well againts penetrative attacks but bucklers they may be more manoeuvrable but we are talking about the instance of one attack but if two arrows came at you and they put in the work to have location detection of attacks then yeah you would only block one arrows damage where the other would hit for full damage if it didnt hit armor and wards are spells that protect you from magical damage what i was saying is that shields wouldnt give magic resistance and i dont know if they are adding enchantments so ill stay away from that but the simplest most effective formula for physical shields is weight, size and direction of travel make a percent or chance of blocking the attack (one instance at a time) the material and skill would determine how much damage you took

• @orical-the-exile There were no "smaller viking bucklers", nor "viking bucklers" :P, only 80cm+ broad shields. Used mainly against arrows and spears as 2-3 well aimed hits with dane axe would destroy it. In pre alpha video there was late medieval shield, but i sure hope for early medieval ones.

I hope for skills like "for 2 seconds you´re immune to attacks, projectiles and non-dot non aoe spells" or at least passive with "every Xth attack is blocked". Or at least passive bonus to defence (even if you don´t actively block with shield, it protects your body from knee to neck). Yet it slows you down as hell, so maybe give activable blocking, but slow movement speed during it (basic melee units of Human in Warcraft 3).

Hopefully a shield blocking mechanic will be automatic based upon your skill level. I'd hate to have to manage the keyboard while trying to move with the mouse and fight. You only have so many hands and fingers lol.

@Farlander

the rmb can be block when you have a shield equipped.

• @Jetah well maybe, but you wouldnt be too mobile and you should block only front attacks; and blocking with 2h weapons? Quite doable as weapon weights 1/3 of shield and you hold it with both hands 😛 ...but let´s just leave that to shield

Be cool to see guilds in the Roman shield wall formation spear in one hand and shields up walking using it to defend against arrows being hailed down.

@Xzoviac Life is Feudal has real life physics built into the game and there are also formations groups can employ in combat. I never was able to get into the group combat so I'm not exactly sure how the formations worked. The melee combat was clunky though with real physics. Damage was calculated by how hard you swung and the location of the target. You had stamina and after a few swings were exhausted. When you launched an arrow you actually had to gauge how much you pulled the string back and how you angled the shot.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured