Let us gather small stones from stone deposits

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I see that working like gathering sticks from trees: you get an option to gather small stones as well as hammer out a big slab.

Failing that, I'd like to see campfires use fewer small stones. (Technically, you don't need stones at all to make a campfire; you could instead just clear the ground so the fire won't spread, or bank it with dirt.)

• Content Creator

its a balancing, limiting system. They want the small stones to be one of the inconveniences to just build campfires willynilly. That's why it takes 10 stones, but only 5 branches, while branches are easier to gather, and stones are harder. It's definitely intentional

@GamerSeuss Even if it's intentionally not fun, it's still not fun. The mechanic doesn't make sense, isn't immersive, and promotes mindless repetition.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

If finding small stones, which are literally everywhere mind you, is something that flummoxes a player i would think more involved tasks such as building a wagon would render them catatonic

• Content Creator

@DarthJafo exactly

All MMOs have repetitive tasks, nature of the beast. Ones that make sense and help foster a balanced experience should stay, ones that are time sinks for the sole sake of time sinks, mayhaps not.

Too many modern players don't feel like they should work for anything, and if they have to do stuff more than a few minutes, they start to yell "grind" In the scheme of things, FO is by far one of the least grindy games, except mayhaps in Crafting material gathering, which is exactly where you have to have grind.

@DarthJafo

Who said anything about flummox? After the Nth time of watching your toon slowly pick up a stone, how is it not dull?

I also suspect that the server resources required to spam small stones everywhere isn't negligible. Allowing players to harvest from stone nodes would probably reduce the load on the server.

@GamerSeuss said in Let us gather small stones from stone deposits:

Too many modern players don't feel like they should work for anything,

Games are about fun, not work. Not everyone enjoys mindless repetition, and for that matter, work shouldn't be mindless repetition.

Rather, the impression I get is that too many modern players don't feel like they should have to -think- for anything.

Incidentally, I've been playing games since the 1980s, so I'm not a modern gamer. 😛

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Roccandil LOL. EVERYTHING gets dull after the hundredth time doing it.

Ever mined for ore? chopped down a tree? hunted for meat or hides? Driven a wagon halfway across the map to deliver said material? All of which takes significantly more time than bending over for literally 1.5 nanoseconds to pick up a frickin rock.

This entire game is mindless repetition. if this one tiny thing is an issue the entirety of the game will be as well.

@DarthJafo

Mining for ore, chopping trees, and delivering goods are logical world activities, but you shouldn't need stones at all to make a fire.

If the developers really want fires to involve small stones, however, then harvesting them from stone deposits is not only less boring, it's less server load, and it seems reasonable to get small stones from the place you get big stones.

• @Roccandil small stones are everywhere, but large stone nodes are much less available. Pairing the two likely makes resource placement more complicated.

@MidniteArrow said in Let us gather small stones from stone deposits:

placement more complicated.

I could see making it possible on all/most mining nodes. Would that be enough coverage?

• @Roccandil the problem is that it means anywhere they put mining nodes they are also putting easy campfires. They may actually want to have areas with mining nodes that don't have any small stones to prevent easy campfires.

They want campfires to be a little irritating to setup. That's not a bug, it is a feature.

@MidniteArrow What benefit is there to making campfires irritating? I note that they are irritating, annoying, and mindless, but not hard.

As to mining nodes, your comment once again demonstrates how silly it is to predicate campfires on the presence of stones. 😛 I'm simply trying to compromise in a manner that fits existing game systems, but I'd be fine with removing the small stone requirement entirely.

In Real Life, you need the presence of dry wood, not stone, to make fires. 😛 You also need skill to get wood burning (assuming a lack of modern tech).

As it stands, campfire creation in Fractured isn't immersive, isn't fun, and what it buys the game seems negligible at best.

• @Roccandil I mean, a wind barrier helps. But from a game mechanics standpoint, campfires are needed for long sessions away from town, and they let you respec. The need for stones enables areas where stones are not available so, if you don't come prepared, you are going to have a hard time, and only so much preparation will be possible. If you tie mining resource nodes to stones, you won't be able to design a map that has mining resource nodes but that doesn't have stones.

I don't know if that's something the devs care about or not.

@MidniteArrow A dirt bank, or a depression, works as a wind barrier too.

I just don't see stones having a significant enough effect to warrant the potential mass irritation of the playerbase.

• I'd question the "mass" part of that statement. I always just saw them as part of the gamification. Stone hunting breaks up grinding and adds another challenge. It doesn't frustrate me like it does you.

Games balance entertainment with struggle. You seem to want to push the slider further toward entertainment than I do. For me, struggle is more important.

Hard is fun.

@MidniteArrow

Mindless is not hard. 😛

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured