Fog of War

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah yup, you will not find a 'spectate mode' like in RTS or MOBA

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@finland

i didn't mention a spectate mode. i asked if we knew if the camera was locked to the character or if we could pan the camera across the world like you can in a MOBA/RTS?

• I think fog of war is unnecessary without camera panning. But now the thought of camera panning + fog of war is very interesting to me. I know it would probably be hated, but I kind of want it.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@target maps are going to be way bigger tha a moba or rts map. I doubt tha we are going to get a free cam

@finland i played an rts that had a whole planet as the map.. and you could jump to moons then use those to crash into a planet.

@Target yeah I'm wondering how it'll play out with it. I'd love to have a test server with it!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah we are not on rts anyway. I hope not see a FoW. Greethings

@finland said in Fog of War:

@jetah we are not on rts anyway. I hope not see a FoW. Greethings

point was the maps were huge because they where spheres then you could send ships to other spheres.

I'm not understanding how fog would hurt a beaskin on arboreus when they'd get the benefits and attackers would get a penalty to line of sight. it would make invading harder.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah I told you before. If you remove the FoW in a moba you could say bye bye to ganks. The only thing allowing ganks in a moba is the FoW. So don't tell me abou penalities that a FoW could bring to gankers. For sure the visual in an isometric game is limited but it's better see the 100% of the screen.

@jetah I told you before. If you remove the FoW in a moba you could say bye bye to ganks. The only thing allowing ganks in a moba is the FoW. For sure the visual in an isometric game is limited but it's better see the 100% of the screen.

and you could do that with some great placement of towers. that would also hinder an attacker making it harder to gank.

many RTS have these towers that remove the fog, so it'd be similar but to the attacker it would make it worse for them. instead of seeing 75% of the screen they could see 10-25%. If the attacker destroys the tower their vision would be better (unless there were overlapping towers). This would give plenty of warning that someone is near.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah If you will give me the 100% of the screen in every kind of zone I will not argue ;). Trust me that FoW make it just more risky. No point to have that on a game with full loot ;). But I could accept to talk about it if they plan to give us a free camera.

• @finland You can have limited camera panning. For example, you can pan your camera around, but your character has to be somewhere on screen at all times. This would give you a bit more vision while not being RTS-like.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah I told you before. If you remove the FoW in a moba you could say bye bye to ganks. The only thing allowing ganks in a moba is the FoW.

Correction: The only thing allowing ganks in a MOBA is invisibility. That's not limited to fog of war. What little I played of League saw almost every gank flying out of the invisible-izing tall grass, not flying from out of view range.

I'm absolutely sure Fractured will have invisibility systems courtesy of stealth-based skills. I always liked the idea of a visibility system where players would gradually fade out the further away they were from an observer, with a better stealth index producing a faster falloff. However, as long as the player was within render distance they would be at least slightly visible against the background.

Calling it "light" always pissed me off because if an idiot with an ultrabright light is blundering around in the darkness everybody in the map should be able to see them from any distance.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@fibs said in Fog of War:

Correction: The only thing allowing ganks in a MOBA is invisibility. That's not limited to fog of war. What little I played of League saw almost every gank flying out of the invisible-izing tall grass, not flying from out of view range.

Correction: NO! I play moba since Dota1 and FoW is what you need to gank people because you have no clue from where they are coming.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Correction: NO! I play moba since Dota1 and FoW is what you need to gank people because you have no clue from where they are coming.

Fractured has WoW-like stealth from what I've seen. I think gankers will find a way to ambush us, regardless of FoW. 😛

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

You must never have gotten very good then!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

You must never have gotten very good then!

Not going to argue it, I don't wanna get banned. But FoW is what allows you to gank people in moba. Stealth it's just an extra. You have not played enough.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Not going to argue it, I don't wanna get banned. But FoW is what allows you to gank people in moba. Stealth it's just an extra. You have not played enough.

It really isn't bro, and this isn't a MOBA anyway. It's gonna be more like an open world Diablo.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

this isn't a MOBA anyway.

It's a mmorpg so no FoW that's all I say. If I mentioned Moba was just cause there the FoW is needed for the strategy of ganks.

@finland

it amazes me that you can't even imagine how fog could work in favor of the beastkin.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

the only fog that has any reason for being implemented in Fractured is natural fog as a type of weather. It could work like FoW and be present based on local weather (higher chance in beastmen planet as we have higher humidity there).

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured