Switching Characters

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@tulukaruk said in Switching Characters:

or stay half an hour off the game?

You miss understood.

You do not need to stay half an hour off the game. In such scenario you could log on your other character instantly and play it, but your previous character would stay in the world unresponsive and risk being killed. You would already be playing your second character.

There must be a trade off in some way. You should not get to just quickly switch around in completely safe and quick way to escape any danger.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jairone said in Switching Characters:

@benseine I think that is a matter of people seeing the characters in game as a risk, and especially one with things like disconnects and crashes. Those are a sore spot with many online games that have had issues there, even with PvE and low death penalties...

I like the idea, but think there needs to be some thought to things like that as well. Being punished for the net going down (already something that feels punishing) just makes people frustrated.

Well you can't let ppl log of instantly anyway, because they will abuse it to prevent death and loosing items. So if you need to time it anyway, increase the timer so much it makes playing two chars simultaniously in the open world (both alts and 2nd accounts) nit viable.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@benseine I said before and I'll repeat myself - that's a really bad idea. It only benefits the worst kind of PKers and noone else. If you want to play your second character you have to either play you first one long enough to get to safe location (and that might be impossible for demon) or stay half an hour off the game?

The worst kind of PKer is the ones that use multiple characters to gank...

Killing a offline character in game will happen yes. The only way to prevent killing a player that crashed or dc is having their characters log off instantly. But that will allow ppl to escape death by logging off.... and thus break the game...

So you need a timer to prevent the abuse of logging of. My suggestion is to increase that timer so playing on multiple chars / accounts ingame is not viable anymore.

And ffs no, you don't have to wait 30 minutes. If running back to a save spot is a waste if time in your opinion, then don't play any games with survival elements in them!

@benseine said in Switching Characters:

And ffs no, you don't have to wait 30 minutes. If running back to a save spot is a waste if time in your opinion, then don't play any games with survival elements in them!

^ Basically this. Accept the type of game you are playing or go play something else, more in tune with your needs, like Hello Kitty Online, or something similar. 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Benseine @Gothix what safe spot will you have on demon world?

And worst kind of PKer is the one that want the game to create easy kills for him - like the thing you're writing.
    Half a minute timer on logging off should be enough to prevent abuse. If you cannot find and hit once someone logging off in half a minute then that means he's in safe enough place. This timer could even resets all positive buffs so no logging off invisible or indestructible 😉

My suggestion is to increase that timer so playing on multiple chars / accounts ingame is not viable anymore.

If you want one character per account (I wouldn't mind that) then promote that. Promoting ideas to make multiple character unplayable is just wrong.

^ Basically this. Accept the type of game you are playing or go play something else, more in tune with your needs, like Hello Kitty Online, or something similar. 🙂

if you want to play that type of game why don't you go to Albion or some other PvP crap game? 😛 There are many reasons why I would want to log off in wilderness and just come back there next time I play. Devs said many times that this game will be viable for PvE players so I should be able to do just that. And switch to my other character if I have one.

1. what safe spot will you have on demon world?

2. if you want to play that type of game why don't you go to Albion or some other PvP crap game?

1. For starters your housing, then any city well protected with guards (where you are practically safe), maybe something else.
    2. I dont need to go anywhere because this is THAT type of game. At least on Syndesia and Tartaros.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Benseine @Gothix what safe spot will you have on demon world?

And worst kind of PKer is the one that want the game to create easy kills for him - like the thing you're writing.
    Half a minute timer on logging off should be enough to prevent abuse. If you cannot find and hit once someone logging off in half a minute then that means he's in safe enough place. This timer could even resets all positive buffs so no logging off invisible or indestructible 😉

My suggestion is to increase that timer so playing on multiple chars / accounts ingame is not viable anymore.

If you want one character per account (I wouldn't mind that) then promote that. Promoting ideas to make multiple character unplayable is just wrong.

if you want to play that type of game why don't you go to Albion or some other PvP crap game? 😛 There are many reasons why I would want to log off in wilderness and just come back there next time I play. Devs said many times that this game will be viable for PvE players so I should be able to do just that. And switch to my other character if I have one.

Have a minute is indeed enough to prevent abuse. But that doesn't prevent using two characters. So I'm fine with that. I just gank with by stealth char, and then loot with my other.

One character per account doesn't solve that. I'll just use two accounts. And besides try explaining changing the game to one char per account to the KS backers who already got several character slots. I got six for example.

Yes, I would love to log off in the wilderness too. Especially where ppl do PvE for resources. I log all my six characters of there so even if I die I can come back many times with my alts. So in the end I bet it is me who brings back the loot 😎

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Gothix

1. I didn't know that on Tartaros you get a house for free. Not sure about city guards protecting you there as well.
    2. I disagree 🙂

@Benseine half an hour after switching characters does nothing to 2 account as well so that argument is weak. And with one character per account - that ship has sailed long ago unfortunately. But (in my opinion) making multiple characters not valid would also cheat KS backers who paid extra to get more chars.

About killing with one char and looting with another - why not? You still need to carry that loot back town/your home/some merchant. And if your main killer is the stealth guy the loot guy will be easier to kill probably 😉 And if not why not use him to gank in the first place? 😄

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jairone said in Switching Characters:

@benseine I think that is a matter of people seeing the characters in game as a risk, and especially one with things like disconnects and crashes. Those are a sore spot with many online games that have had issues there, even with PvE and low death penalties...

I like the idea, but think there needs to be some thought to things like that as well. Being punished for the net going down (already something that feels punishing) just makes people frustrated.

Well you can't let ppl log of instantly anyway, because they will abuse it to prevent death and loosing items. So if you need to time it anyway, increase the timer so much it makes playing two chars simultaniously in the open world (both alts and 2nd accounts) nit viable.

Yeah, that is true with any game like this and PvP. I do think short timers work with that end. The other side of that coin is pretty standard, if it is short enough. Make it too long, though, and it becomes an increasing problem.

There was the question of why people don't like that, and that is one of the biggest concerns I hear constantly about such things. I was merely answering thus, seeing as I have heard that. I was not implying that it isn't a good idea, or that there is a better option currently available.

I think this is one of those things where having PvE and PvP in the same game will never be ideal (simply because of the nature of what is being sought, and what is physically possible). I consider a short 30 second to 1 minute timer to be about the best possible balance between the two, enough time to make PvP combat logging a bad idea, but also a short enough period to keep things from being too painful for those who cannot return to specific safe spots due to real life interference.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I agree with @tulukaruk and @Jairone . 30 seconds timer is enough for preventing escaping from fight or danger by logging off. And also viable for account switching. A full minute is in my opinion already too long.
    The timers could be shorter or disabled when the character is in safe spot or while resting by campfire (the moment when you can change your skills). This would also prove to be good while logging off in wilderness.

And keep in mind, when doing a standard log off (not mentioning the disconnection due to power or internet problems), the player sees his/her character while the timer is counting down 30 seconds. So if anyone approaches or tries to attack you, you have a chance to react.
    Having to observe your character standing still and doing nothing for 30 minutes till the counter goes down would be a horrible, horrible idea.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Dybuk @Jairone @tulukaruk

A 30 minute timer when you log of does the same when you log off for another account, log on a alt or turn your computer off. So it makes ganking with multiple chars very difficult.

A timer of 30 seconds makes logging of on foreign planets a viable option to travel back to home planet. I'm fine with a 30 second time, I look forward to gank with 2 chars, but I suggest they implement in the game that resources collected are dropped on the ground if you log off instead of travelling back.

You don't have to look at your character when it you log off if you character is in a save place. You can switch instantly from a save place to a new character.

@benseine

@Dybuk @Jairone @tulukaruk

A timer of 30 seconds makes logging of on foreign planets a viable option to travel back to home planet. I'm fine with a 30 second time, I look forward to gank with 2 chars, but I suggest they implement in the game that resources collected are dropped on the ground if you log off instead of travelling back.

this is not true, i remember @Prometheus said, that logging on different planet will take you back to your home planet, so can't PK on different planets.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@grofire No you misunderstood. I will gank with two demon characters/alts/accounts on Tartaros. So I can log off there where I want. I was talking about the poor beastmen/humans that come to Tartaros for pve to collect resources. If they log off using a 30 second timer, they are ported back to their home planet. I suggest resources are dropped on the ground from your inventory when you log off instead of travelling back. Otherwise logging off will just be used as fasttravel/teleportation.

@grofire No you misunderstood. I will gank with two demon characters/alts/accounts on Tartaros. So I can log off there where I want. I was talking about the poor beastmen/humans that come to Tartaros for pve to collect resources.

O who cares about that? If you go to demon planet you should know that your in danger!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@benseine That's assuming there's no option to just let the transit restrictions kick you... but if so that is worth looking at too. Some penalty applied would make sense there, but you also run into (yet again) the problem of things like being booted off without intent.

I would think that something like a repeat offender system for that would be appropriate. The first time you only drop some % of resources, and that goes up so that the 3rd time in a while would drop everything you are carrying. That effect would be something that they could turn off if needed due to instability (it happens) and back on, ideally... or people could just wait (who am I kidding).

Anyway, good point that it is something likely to see abuse if there is nothing done to stop abuse.

@Gothix

1. I didn't know that on Tartaros you get a house for free. Not sure about city guards protecting you there as well.
    2. I disagree 🙂

Dude did you even read the spotlights? o.O I don't know how to comment on that...

1. You can build the house anywhere in the world. You just need to collect resources and you can build it. And your house will be a safe spot. Yes, this includes Tartaros...
    2. Tartaros is FFA PvP, so if you don't believe it, GL to you. I don't know what to say to you. Syndesia is also open PvP, it's just that with murdrerer and thief flagging you might draw some extra attention to yourself, but you can still attack whoever you want and loot him.

So you can disagree how much you want mate, but this isn't your typical PvE game where you can be safe in the wilderness. This is why we need logout timers to prevent "overly sensitive folk" abuse the system by logging out safely when there is danger. I know this is not to your liking. What can I tell you?

@gothix

@gothix said in Switching Characters:

@Gothix

2. I disagree 🙂

Dude did you even read the spotlights? o.O I don't know how to comment on that...

1. You can build the house anywhere in the world. You just need to collect resources and you can build it. And your house will be a safe spot. Yes, this includes Tartaros...

that is not true, you can't build your house where ever you want, you can build in 1 of 3 areas that allow to build:
    city, before city and free area.
    city depends on the governor or guild, before city depends how much you trust the people there, and free area, is free for you without people next to you.
    in all the 3 options,as @Prometheus said, you are not safe! he said in the Q&A that you can't destroy someone house, but you can kill him in inside...
    i do not know how it will work, but that mean demon planet has no safe place ( other the safe places that developers decided on).

• @grofire said in Switching Characters:

but you can kill him in inside

If I recall correctly, it was only said that you can be killed on your plot (i.e. if you get caught outside). I doubt there's much someone can do if you're inside your house because they can't come in if you don't let them.

@target that is not what I understood... I guess that we will wait and see.

I'm also of the opinion you can be killed on your plot, or even inside your house if you are careless to leave the door open, or let someone untrusted in. I do believe, however, that if you go inside your house and lock yourself inside, no one can unlock the door, come in and kill you. I doubt other people will be allowed to open the door of your house (unless you allow them in some house settings UI).

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured