Curiosity on the Publishers interested in Fractured

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

From the KS campaign information:

Moreover, we already have open channels with a few large game publishers that have shown interest in Fractured.

I doubt you're able to tell us but I'm curious which publishers are interested.

Most people will hate EA because they're more interested in cashboxes than gameplay. They've killed too many great development companies and had the balls to say single player games are dead yet God of War exist.

Activision is an unknown for me because I've mostly messed with Blizzard side of the business.

Anything Chinese I'm not interested in. I don't like that Tencent is buying into every game company that exist.

Is there anything you can say about it?

• Community Manager

@jetah Prometheus can't talk about it, sorry. 😞

@specter said in Curiosity on the Publishers interested in Fractured:

@jetah Prometheus can't talk about it, sorry. 😞

Figured that.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

TBH, if EA or Tencent did back it, I would have huge confidence in the project's viability personally. People might hate EA, but they do put out finished games, unlike something like Star Citizen (and due to Belgium recently banning lootboxes, I doubt they'll try a monetization strategy like that in the near future). As for Tencent (same also applies to EA), they only invest in ideas they believe will be successful and profitable, like PoE, LoL, and others. Therefore if they did back it, it would mean we would definitely get a game at the very least, and the devs will have enough money to fund a fully fledged team (which is 100% required for any active live MMO) for at least a few years.

@basileus said in Curiosity on the Publishers interested in Fractured:

TBH, if EA or Tencent did back it, I would have huge confidence in the project's viability personally. People might hate EA, but they do put out finished games, unlike something like Star Citizen (and due to Belgium recently banning lootboxes, I doubt they'll try a monetization strategy like that in the near future). As for Tencent (same also applies to EA), they only invest in ideas they believe will be successful and profitable, like PoE, LoL, and others. Therefore if they did back it, it would mean we would definitely get a game at the very least, and the devs will have enough money to fund a fully fledged team (which is 100% required for any active live MMO) for at least a few years.

I don't like a multibillion Chinese company backing so many foreign companies. they have their hands in too many pots.

If EA published it I'd ask for a refund on my KS. I don't trust a company that only cares about revenue to the point of killing a development company. I'd be happy with Dynamight just self publishing. DS could do what Crowfall did and get some equity crowdfunding regulations to launch an investment campaign through Indiegogo.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@jetah Every single large corporation from every nation in the world (and every decently wealthy person) has their hands in as many pots as possible. it's just good sense to diversify your portfolio so that your assets will always have value, and are not subject to specific market shifts. As long as the economy grows (and it pretty much always grows so long as human civilization isn't going downhill, like during the fall of the Western Roman Empire or the Black Death), you'll make a profit in the end so long as you have a very wide ranging portfolio.

As for EA publishing it, I'm sorry to hear that you would refund the game, but the fact is that EA, and other publishers like Activision do indeed put out successful games. There are far more failed indie developers than there are successful ones, and most extreme P2W models often come from indie developers trying desperately to recoup costs before their game sinks. If we talk about something like Crowfall, we still have no idea how that is going to turn out, or even something like Camelot Unchained (I personally backed it, it has around 15 to 20 million USD in funding and has a team of 30 people, some of which have worked on famous MMOs like DAoC; it may still flop soon after launch, we won't know till we get there). With big companies, the risk is put onto the investors and stakeholders; with indies, we are the stakeholders, and players generally don't keep the company responsible, both fiscally and time wise.

The fact that the devs working on Fractured seem to have their heads in the right place (looking for publishers, sticking to deadlines, going for the minimum viable product style of development instead of having feature creep up to your ears etc) greatly boosts my confidence in the chances of the project succeeding, but it is still up in the air whether this makes it or not. This is why I would personally welcome it if a big publisher backs the project; it means a bunch of experts, who's jobs are to analyse products and services, said: "yes, we will spend at least tens of million of dollars on this project, and we will expect a very high possibility of a good a return on our investment".

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@specter

Good things are. There's nice publishers out there too.
    Don't buy into a death trap. Self publishing in EU would work well or you could look for Travian Games.

Personally i wouldn't mind any other publisher perse, just don't let them dictate the terms and twist your promises.
    No P2W or regardless of where that happens, people will feel that any other version is just a skip away from the creeping enhanced P2W effects.

@basileus
    what you said sounds great but anytime someone sticks their hand in the cookie jar they can change the rules. I'd prefer a different route to get funding than getting a publisher. I do understand that some countries you need it, like in China.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@jetah Certain publishers do change mechanics in games, especially if they owned the title from the start. Tencent however, has a history of just letting games devs do their things since they're not a publisher, just an investor. I played LoL back when Tencent bought Riot Games, and a lot of people were nervous. However they never touched the game mechanics, and had a press release saying that they're only interested in handling the finances, and were content with letting the devs do their thing, since it was Riot Games that made the game so popular in the first place. I think a similar thing happened with PoE as well, and as far as I have heard, the game is still going strong, has good mechanics and a consumer friendly payment model, all the while increasing its market share at the same time.

The real question is will the publisher get the rights to change the cash shop offers, and add new items to cash shop depending on their desires and not limited only to cosmetics.

If the answer is yes, then game could easily become P2W, because even if the devs add nothing P2W now, publisher would have the rights to add it later on.

It's also the reason why I am careful with Kick starters, and rather chose to wait for game to be released, to see who is the publisher, and what kind of rights of changing cash shop they have.

@gothix said in Curiosity on the Publishers interested in Fractured:

The real question is will the publisher get the rights to change the cash shop offers, and add new items to cash shop depending on their desires and not limited only to cosmetics.

If the answer is yes, then game could easily become P2W, because even if the devs add nothing P2W now, publisher would have the rights to add it later on.

It's also the reason why I am careful with Kick starters, and rather chose to wait for game to be released, to see who is the publisher, and what kind of rights of changing cash shop they have.

but that's not something that we'd see over night. it'd be a long process where one items is added that's a QoL but really borderline advantageous. then more of those keep being added over a few years.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured