Races

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

So guys what are your considerations on the various races and their backround?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Demons for PvP, beastmen for PvE, humans for politics & crafting. Not much more to say, really.

Lore-wise, I'd say the demons will be the most interesting race. The most fascinating stories tend to be told from the antagonist's point of view.

@nelchael

but demons are the protagonist, the other races have strayed from Babilis. it's up to the demons to return everyone to the rightful ruler!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

It'd be interesting to start out as a Demon and turn into an Angel.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I want to be a bunny. Don't really care about anything else

@nelchael said in Races:

The most fascinating stories tend to be told from the antagonist's point of view.

My experience with post-early 1900s antagonists does not correlate with this assertion

@fibs

There's Revan in the KotOR games, Handsome Jack in some of the Borderlands games, Chara in Undertale, and those examples are just from video games. Then there's the Joker in Batman (and too many other comic book villains to count), of course Darth Vader in Star Wars, Bane in the Bane Trilogy books, Moriarty in Sherlock... What counts as a fascinating story is of course arguable, but those are all popular stories that are to some large extent defined by the villains' points of view.

Coming back to the original topic, a bunny race would be interesting to see at some point. I certainly know a few people who'd strongly consider buying the game if they could play as one of these. Their primal form transformation might be a bit awkward, though.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nelchael said in Races:

Demons for PvP, beastmen for PvE, humans for politics & crafting. Not much more to say, really.

Lore-wise, I'd say the demons will be the most interesting race. The most fascinating stories tend to be told from the antagonist's point of view.

This is wrong the planets rule the game play not the races. Demons can do PvP and PvE like Humans and Beastmen. There are no benefits.

@finland

• The races are largely defined by their planets, there may be some exceptions but most players will never permanently move to another planet.
    • Demons can kill each other with no laws or restrictions, there certainly is a benefit.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@nelchael said in Races:

@fibs

There's Revan in the KotOR games, Handsome Jack in some of the Borderlands games, Chara in Undertale, and those examples are just from video games. Then there's the Joker in Batman (and too many other comic book villains to count), of course Darth Vader in Star Wars, Bane in the Bane Trilogy books, Moriarty in Sherlock... What counts as a fascinating story is of course arguable, but those are all popular stories that are to some large extent defined by the villains' points of view.

You have some very low standards for "a fascinating story". Revan I can grant (with the complication that his story is interesting specifically because he is not a villain), but once you cited Undertale you kind of lost me.

Also, Moriarty is not a "post-early 1900s" villain; he's from 1893.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nelchael said in Races:

@finland

• The races are largely defined by their planets, there may be some exceptions but most players will never permanently move to another planet.

Beastmen can live permanetly on Syndesia 😉 and that does not make difference every race can do pvp and pve.

@fibs

Revan was a complicated character, and granted, his villain status is temporarily paused at one point because of the whole amnesia thing, but he was a villain for the large part. His involvement in the Mando Wars aside, he literally almost committed large-scale genocide at one point, and would have done so if he hadn't been forcibly stopped.

About Undertale, again. Whether it's fascinating is arguable, it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but no one can deny it's one of the most popular stories told by a game in the last few years.

Good catch with Moriarty though, that one's my bad.

@finland

I never said every race can't do both PvP and PvE. That would be daft. But don't forget, the fractured motto is "THREE RACES, THREE GAMEPLAYS", not "THREE PLANETS, THREE GAMEPLAYS". Your race selection determines your home planet, and even if some players end up moving to another planet, that doesn't change the fact that most hardcore PvE players will play as beastmen, and most PvP players as demons. That's the whole point.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@nelchael said in Races:

I never said every race can't do both PvP and PvE. That would be daft. But don't forget, the fractured motto is "THREE RACES, THREE GAMEPLAYS", not "THREE PLANETS, THREE GAMEPLAYS". Your race selection determines your home planet, and even if some players end up moving to another planet, that doesn't change the fact that most hardcore PvE players will play as beastmen, and most PvP players as demons. That's the whole point.

Not necessarily. It will certainly be quicker to get into the action if you pick the race that starts out with the proper alignment and planet, but there might be other consequences of Abominations, Angels, or just racial perks in general that could encourage players to specifically cross alignments from the "wrong" race.

Even if there wasn't, top-level players often intentionally challenge themselves and will interpret playing the "wrong" race as such a challenge.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nelchael said in Races:

that's just cause of the lore and planet restrinctions tartaros is FFA so it's better start point for pvpers. but every race can do everything and ofc none is penalized except demons on Arboreus.

@finland

If you scroll up, you'll notice I never said anything about penalties. Of course every race can do everything. That doesn't change the fact that each race is specifically meant to appeal to a different playstyle, and that's all I said.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Demon for life!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

There seems to be a lot of races and combinations with the gods. I'd be intrigued to see more in depth analysis of each one later down the line.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

demon the best

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

i like plants and animals, and PvE so i'm thinking beastmen is up my alley

• have a listof the class?

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

they're no class, you do what you want with your skills

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured